Sign in to follow this  

1977 PE250 versus1976 MR250

Rode em both back to back today. Hands down the PE250 wins, much quicker.  The Honda MR is smooth and plush nice quiet motor, good low end. But the PE is a beast.  I almost think it would hang with my buddy's CRF250X in a drag.... 

The MR was a mellow dual sport but the CR was the one to rip-the PE was a real dirt bike but not street legal-that's why the CR is appreciated today and to a lesser degree the PE! Different strokes for different folks! I bet the MR ran a long time between rebuilds!

The MT 250 Elsinore was a dual sport. The  MR 250 Elsinore was off road only,  Neither can be compared to the CR250M Elsinore, Except the name "Elsinore".

I was maybe shopping for a PE last year until I noticed NO OEM parts suppliers list any PE models at all.  I don't understand that.  Was it not imported to the US or were they for professionals and factory riders only?  I was thinking of parts like top end parts, bearings, seals, etc.  I know some of these can be substituted by industry standard parts.   I was just surprised the models weren't even listed.  The PE's had the qualities I wanted too but I'm not in the mood to owning another "exotic".  Oh well...

I was maybe shopping for a PE last year until I noticed NO OEM parts suppliers list any PE models at all.  I don't understand that.  Was it not imported to the US or were they for professionals and factory riders only?  I was thinking of parts like top end parts, bearings, seals, etc.  I know some of these can be substituted by industry standard parts.   I was just surprised the models weren't even listed.  The PE's had the qualities I wanted too but I'm not in the mood to owning another "exotic".  Oh well...

Bike Bandit lists parts for a PE http://www.bikebandit.com/1979-suzuki-pe250/o/m139562#sch278082

Doesn't PE share parts with RM's?  
Back then race capable enduros' were usually just the motocross bike with lights and some tuning, gearing changes. 

????

Actually, modern off road bikes share more parts with their mx relatives than anything from the 70's-80's. Back then, maybe cases and wheels, tranny shafts, etc. However, much like today, the hand me downs were not current mx parts.