What did you do to your Beta today ?

offworlder

Well yesterday was really interesting. I went riding with Dave at Get Dirty Dirt Bikes. My Beta was handling like shit through the deep, tight, rocky sand washes. Front end kept tucking and I was fighting it.

So we stop to take a break and trade bikes. I got on his 300 and Dave on my 520. He took off like a ball of fire. When we stopped, he agreed something was wrong. Out comes the screwdriver, and he adds just a few clicks tighter on the fork compression. It turned into a whole new bike. I really need to learn how to adjust suspension for different conditions. Dave really knows how to make these bikes work for our terrain out here.

As far as his 300, it had a front flat and still handled like a dream! His 300 is one heck of a bike. I was actually scared to ride it because it has the high compression dome, and running race fuel. To my surprise it's actually easier to ride. Lot's of power on the bottom end and midrange. I could actually start off in 3rd gear and run like a tractor up the rocky hills. For a boost in power, just a simple fan of the clutch for wild sick power. For you guys that have one of these 300's do yourself a favor and get the Dome'd head. The cool thing about it is you can alway switch the dome back to stock compression if you want.

100_4248_zpsc53ddfb7.jpg

http://shop.getdirtydirtbikes.com/Beta-Racing-Cylinder-Head-AB-21150.htm

Edited by ballisticexchris
  • Like 1

Yeah, I have the Voyager case, but mine is mounted where the stock speedo was- and I can barely see it. I never even thought to angle it like yours.

I used the flat plate that came with the case, drilled 2 holes in the OEM steel GPS bracket to match the aluminum bracket holes that came with the case, then bent the OEM plate a little. Use the smaller flat plate..

Update;110 miles yesterday in the Lake Tahoe National Forest 

What it accomplished was having a angle that when sitting or slightly standing I have a perfect view and ease of adjusting the GPS, yet when standing straight up it's hard to read anything but the speed.... So there is a trade off for the increased height/angle. But honestly I like it....

• Like 2

I used the flat plate that came with the case, drilled 2 holes in the OEM steel GPS bracket to match the aluminum bracket holes that came with the case, then bent the OEM plate a little. Use the smaller flat plate..

Update;110 miles yesterday in the Lake Tahoe National Forest 

What it accomplished was having a angle that when sitting or slightly standing I have a perfect view and ease of adjusting the GPS, yet when standing straight up it's hard to read anything but the speed.... So there is a trade off for the increased height/angle. But honestly I like it....

That's a really smart compromise the way you have it. I think you did a great job getting it in a perfect position. When you think about it, unless your a "A" rider, no one navigates and reads gauges when standing.

it is when you realize you are lost, stop, shut down, take off your helmet and listen for other bikes :-

ROTFLMAO  that's great.  Around here you just roll down hill you're bound to run into a road... or the cliff over view.

• Like 1

"Today" was May 31st & June 1st. 2-day Mendocino National Forest & Lost Coast DS ride, starting from Ukiah, CA.

Here's a few photos;

%255BGroup%25201%255D-IMG_3343_IMG_3344-

Scott Creek safety break after Cow Mtn.

20140603-092213.jpg

Middle Creek trails & Pine Mtn next, then 1st rider to the tip-top of Hull Mtn!

20140603-092306.jpg

John joined me for a photo

IMG_3349.JPG

Lake Pillsbury view from Hull Mtn

IMG_3353.JPG

Valley fog from Dyerville Loop Rd.

IMG_3357.JPG

Locals near Usal Creek

%255BGroup%25201%255D-IMG_3360_IMG_3361-

Usal Beach

elk-usal-beach1.jpg

3 young elk wandered over to the ocean and started playing chicken with the breaking waves.

elk-usal-beach2.jpg

elk-usal-beach3.jpg

Saw a red Beta at M1 & FH7 on Saturday, but he didn't stop long enough to talk or pull his helmet off.

Its was a FUN weekend! 

Catfish ...

Edited by catfish
  • Like 7

"Today" was May 31st & June 1st. 2-day Mendocino National Forest & Lost Coast DS ride, starting from Ukiah, CA.

Here's a few photos;

%255BGroup%25201%255D-IMG_3343_IMG_3344-

Scott Creek safety break after Cow Mtn.

Middle Creek trails & Pine Mtn next, then 1st rider to the tip-top of Hull Mtn!

John joined me for a photo

Lake Pillsbury view from Hull Mtn

Valley fog from Dyerville Loop Rd.

Locals near Usal Creek

Usal Beach

3 young elk wandered over to the ocean and started playing chicken with the breaking waves.

Saw a red Beta at M1 & FH7 on Saturday, but he didn't stop long enough to talk or pull his helmet off.

Its was a FUN weekend! 

Catfish ...

How did you find this group? I would have joined that ride!

Its was a FUN weekend! 

Catfish ...

How did you find this group? I would have joined that ride!

On "The Sunday Morning Ride", back in the early 80s. A friend's annual DS ride. Usually as many as 50 riders. Only 30 this year. ~200 miles each day (2). Same cool route each year, so I don't have to follow anyone to know where I'm going.

I can't sit still long enough to go on big group rides, 4-5 people or split into groups is the only way

• Like 3

Re valved the forks and shock and replaced the floating sachs shock piston with a bladder. The 010 zoke 45's being probably the last iteration of this designe appears to be much improved over earlier and light years better than the 011 gas gas and 08 beta versions . The compression piston is redesigned with larger ports and the cartridge and rebound piston are also differant and improved as well. As mentioned before the damper rod is  now hard coated as is the cartridge.The sachs piston seems of a very good design as well mimicking some Japanese units I have seen. I weigh about 210 so I opted for .50 fork and 5.9 shock springs a little softer rates than what I'm using in my 08 570 rr. Tomorrow sees a Michelin s3 replacing the d.o.t. rear stocker and hopefully out for a ride.

Edited by widebear
  • Like 1

Got out for a 32 k loop today to acid test the new suspension and carb setup. Fork worked flawlessly eating up big and small trail junk. The shock took a little more tweaking   as did the shock spring preload . I settled on 100 mm sag and quickened the rebound damping by five clicks as I prefer it faster than most guys.The bike tracked extremely well staying well up in the stroke and I can say that I was able to ride faster than  on anything else that I have  ever  ridden before including the ktm sx 365 that left me mightily impressed indeed.My only gripe was the moaning seat pan that has a little to much flex for my 210 lbs.

• Like 2

What I did to my Beta was buy her :D

2012 400 RR, 5000km.

Came with some nice farkles; full FMF system, fan, carbon fiber fork guards and engine case guards, front and rear disc protection, radiator guards, Hyde bash plate and swing arm guards, Cycra hand guards and rim tape, 2014 front fender and a box full of new road gear.

She's a bit scratched up but the new plastics and sticker kit is on the way, along with some other bits.

Rode her home (200km) and then had a blast the next day.

So far I'm impressed, except that I couldn't live with the stock bend beta bars and the suspension settings were waaay off stock. We'll get more acquainted this weekend with stock suspension settings and new bars.

1403120099132.jpg

• Like 2