offworlder

What did you do to your Beta today ?

2,569 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Noppy said:

Or install a throttle tamer. I almost looped a brand new 480 on a test ride in the wetty woods. Bought the carbed 498 as the FI is a hand full for an old man like meemoji16.png

It's the old carbed 400. The throttle is really quite smooth. The newer EFI ones are way snappier and my friend's YZ250 is INSANELY snappy compared to my Beta. I think it was a combination of the Rekluse and rider error, mostly the latter.

Edited by Zippopotamus
1 person likes this

Got caught cheatin'! 505 cheater hybrid to be exact. 20170729_150557.jpg also installed tubliss. I will have to play with the pressure. I started out with 10 psi. I imagine I'll end up @ 6-8. I will say that this hooks up like Tiger Woods at a Perkins. I'm glad for the throttle tamer. I can see that if you got in the back seat too much in the rocks she might leave you behind. However if you stay on top of it it should climb nicely!

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Added the IMS 3.1 gallon tank.

IMAG3295.jpg

IMAG3296.jpg

IMAG3297.jpg

Kennedy

Edited by hollywood_72
4 people like this

Picked my bike up off the floor after it fell off it's stand. :huh:

2 people like this

I had that multiple times; once I catched it with my head and once with my shoulder while caring for her. Survived multiple homicide attacks from the Beta

8 hours ago, Baxter67 said:

Picked my bike up off the floor after it fell off it's stand. :huh:

That doesn't sound so bad. It's when it falls over and you've got a domino effect with 3 or 4 bikes. Also, that's when you know you need a bigger garage. :)

Posted (edited)

Just took ownership of a '16 390RR with 6 hours on it for a smoking good deal.

- Changed oil (both sides), moderate magnet fuzz, likely the first oil change
- Changed fork springs (for my fat ***)
- Dropped the forks to the second marking (planing on slower, technical riding)
- Put a 14T counter sprocket on it (removed the 12 from p.o.), used the dirt tricks washer
- Put a 49T Beta rear sprocket on it (p.o. put a jerry rigged 54T KTM sprocket. FYI don't do this, they don't fit...)
- Removed a chain link to make it work
- Installed a Scott's pin mount to the frame (some old KTM one I had laying around, the usual grinding for frame welds required)
- Wired up LED turn signals, LED relay, tail/brake light
- Moved handlebars up to forward-most position
- Loosened then re-torqued entire front end
- Cleaned and Oiled AF (started using no toil biodegradable, looking forwards to easier cleanings)
- Installed new grips
- Rode around some paved backroads near my home, love it.

Props to Dave at Get Dirty - solid advice and awesome pricing. 

IMG_3274.JPG

Edited by mortimersmythe
4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Added a 3/4" rubber leg tip over the steering lock. Cost $1.47 and came with 3 spares. I think this is the least amount of $$$ I've spent on it.

IMAG3329.jpg

IMAG3328.jpg

Kennedy

Edited by hollywood_72
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, hollywood_72 said:

Added a 3/4" rubber leg tip over the steering lock. Cost $1.47 and came with 3 spares. I think this is the least amount of $$$ I've spent on it.

IMAG3329.jpg

IMAG3328.jpg

Kennedy

Fits perfect!! I did the same thing!!

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

9 hours ago, hollywood_72 said:

IMAG3329.jpg

IMAG3328.jpg

Kennedy

I did the same thing! No water in the steering stem for this guy 😊

1 person likes this

Yesterday I changed the oil and put a Metzeler MC360 Mid-Hard on the rear (120/100R18) and it looks mean.

Overall, the mods on it are:

Rekluse clutch

Rekluse left-hand rear brake lever

DoubleTake mirror

Moose aluminum hand guards

ProGrip "Rally" grips

1.25" Rox risers

Hyde plastic skid plate

And I will soon have an SW Motech large toe piece for the foot brake (for a KTM but I'm quite certain it will bolt right on)

Oh, and a Honker 2000 honkyhorn for a bicycle, you know, for the ladies.

I also installed a Yamaha four-wheeler key switch into the right-hand support for the headlight/number plate piece. The Yamaha switches are nice because they have 4 wires which makes it capable of grounding the kill switch so it can't be kick started.

IMAG0747.jpg

IMAG0709.jpg

2 people like this

Rode the Beta today for the 1st time in a couple weeks(been away for work). Only got about 10 minutes into the ride before I decided it'd be a good idea to make a new line on a hillclimb. Would've been great except there was a 3 foot vertical lip at the top that I didn't really anticipate. I actually made it to the landing on the top, but landed way too hard on the back wheel and the bike and I looped out backwards off the top. Somehow avoided getting hit by the bike on the way down, but it did get some new damage.

20170809_192206.jpg

20170809_192140.jpg

1 person likes this

Recently:

- Installed Race Tech rear spring
- Rode Carnegie SVRA, had a blast in sub 90 degree heat
- Installed HDB guards, risers, Scotts mount, top mount, computer mount, switch mount

Thinking to order a Clake, already have a One Light Clutch on another bike, which I love, but can't decide on another or a Clake Two...

IMG_3295.JPG

IMG_3296.JPG

IMG_3297.JPG

IMG_3287.JPG

2 people like this

17 300 race. Jetted down to a 155, cranked out the valve to flush with case and holy...... you gotta do it!!!

Loaded up now going home.. did a nice maybe 4 hour cruise. I was lucky as I ran into this good rider Who is much younger and was going to go solo. Safer to ride with a with a buddy. Nice ride..nice company..We were amazed how dry it is...I needed the ride.. leave the &%$#@!ing frustrations in the trail.,,, 

I feel normal again.  :ride: so simple.. just go for a ride... It feels better..

GoPro battery died almost immediately.. oh well the ride was good... One cool thing is we found a stash of papaya trees with giant great tasting papayas.. yup in the back pack..

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

3 people like this

installed the jd jet kit power valve shim, I really like how linear the power delivery is without the second spring

Posted (edited)

On 7/11/2017 at 9:28 PM, newk75 said:

I will answer this via a quick review. 

I don't want to toot my own horn but I consider myself a HIGH level rider in the below average category. I'm 40+ years old in moderate shape but not great motorcycle shape. Getting back on a bike after a 20 year lay off. My interest was peaked  by my memory of dual sport riding and making some friends that rode orange EXC's. One of my issues besides general lack of talent, is white knuckles in the gnar. This leads to fatigue and cramped hands. I follow Barry Morris on YouTube and was intrigued by his review on the steg pegz. His opinion seemed to be shared by many of you on TT. 

One of my main concerns was that I am not a good enough rider to take advantage of them. From the reviews that I read it seemed that they encouraged you to grip the bike with your legs so the pucks would make a connection with the back of your boots. When I ride I really don't think of myself as gripping the bike with my legs so I was concerned that they would just slide past my boots and be a nuisance. I also struggled to see how they could take away stress from your arms.....

Well I got them in the mail today and installed them over lunch, might of taken 5 minutes. With the bike still on the bike stand I put on my boots and hopped on. I have to say that I could immediately  tell that y'all are on to something! Now I know what you are thinking, how could I tell without even getting the bike out of the garage? Well, when you go from sitting to standing on the bike your boots just engage with the pegs, no excessive leg squeezing, just move to the riding position and you realize that you are not using your arms AT ALL. If you didn't have to twist the throttle or steer you could take your hands off the bars completely and comfortably. This continued when I went out for a ride after work and was even better. I think that Barry Morris said in his review that you feel connected to the bike and he is so right. You feel the bike move under you and it gives you a lot of confidence that you can control how it moves better because you feel it pitch forward or backward even before your arms and hands feel it. I am headed to Colorado in a few weeks an I am pumped to see how this translates in the gnar. From initial impressions I think it could add hours to your ride and days to your trip and potentially allow you to wad it up a few less times. I know I seem to be gushing but I have spent thousands on my bike since I got it and there has not been one mod that has made such an immediate boost in confidence and feeling of connection to the bike. It's sweet. I know that this is cheating to some, don't care. I'd rather be able to open my hands after the ride and enjoy riding even more than I already do. Can't recommend them enough. I also installed the tubliss front with the Shinko 546 intermediate fatty. Could of used the steg pegz for that as my arms are done. I feel like I wrestled a steer. I hope is gets easier the second time. 

Thanks to those who recommended the pegz.

I just installed my steg pegz (desert king version) and had the exact same observations. As soon as I got on even in shorts and flip flops upon trying to stand straight with no bend in my knees my calves contacted the pucks and I could not stand up straight. Rode yesterday and trying to stand drives your foot into the peg. Incredibly awkward at first. I mainly ride on the balls of my feet and the initial middle position of the pucks made this difficult. Gave them 30 minutes on the track and off-road then set them to the furthest back position. Much less intrusive but still not possible to stand completely straight. Great for riding position, even better for giving my quads a workout. It was difficult to get into position to actually give my quads a rest like I normally would on easy parts of the trail. No more resting for me I guess! Made me realize how lazy I was actually being.

They absolutely do what they claim. I don't really struggle with arm pump, but what fatigue I had was greatly diminished. I know I struggle with gripping the bike with my legs and with these you don't even really have to try. Just stand up and they engage. They further forward the pucks are set, the less you have to stand to engage them. Still will take some getting used to and I will get hung up on them from time to time, but they will be staying on my bike. Besides moving them back, I still have the option of running fewer pucks as well.

Great addition!

Also added a little something else yesterday too...

Edited by basalt
1 person likes this