What did you do to your Beta today ?

offworlder

Changed front sprocket to 14 for a weekend.of dual sporting. Fried the li-ion battery and replaced with a brand new one. Spotted a broken spoke in the rear wheel and replaced it. Renewed oil with 0.8L and 1.0L on the tranny side. The oil filter was a bitch to get out, do you guys have a trick to get it out?

11 minutes ago, Noppy said:

Changed front sprocket to 14 for a weekend.of dual sporting. Fried the li-ion battery and replaced with a brand new one. Spotted a broken spoke in the rear wheel and replaced it. Renewed oil with 0.8L and 1.0L on the tranny side. The oil filter was a bitch to get out, do you guys have a trick to get it out?

Pickup a set of TEKTON 3573 7-Inch Internal Snap Ring Pliers or Snap-On if you hit lottery. They make easy work of pulling oil filter. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Noppy said:

I have this twist tie bent at a 90 degree angle for my oil filter. Push the filter to the side, slide the angled twist tie between the filter and case, twist it 90 degrees to hook the filter and pull.

IMG_20180605_1513417.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sierra_rider said:

Just replaced the chain slider on the 300...no riding for me ATM, cut my leg open when fooling around on the trials bike.

not on a trials bike but I did the same thing wearing 6 inch steel toe work boots riding local neighborhood parks trails at dusk. lesson: always wear motorcycle boots! Took abt 4 weeks to heal up.

• Like 1

I have this twist tie bent at a 90 degree angle for my oil filter. Push the filter to the side, slide the angled twist tie between the filter and case, twist it 90 degrees to hook the filter and pull.
IMG_20180605_1513417.thumb.jpg.6d6a0c329daf13771932a3cbdaa1bf07.jpg
I like this Maggyver solution with the hook. I guessed it was locked because of some kind of vacuum, so I decided to drill it; it popped right off as soon as the drill entered. The debries fell into the inside of the filter, so most probably no consequences?[emoji16]

1 hour ago, Noppy said:

I like this Maggyver solution with the hook. I guessed it was locked because of some kind of vacuum, so I decided to drill it; it popped right off as soon as the drill entered. The debries fell into the inside of the filter, so most probably no consequences?emoji16.png

If you replaced the filter, I don't see why it would be a problem. I change oil on mine frequently enough were I only replace my filter every other change. On the in-betweeners I pull it out and clean it. If you're reusing the filter, I would not drill it because it may cause issues with oil flow, but I'm really not sure about it on the Betas.

I had a situation with my sister-in-law's Yamaha XT225 where we had put the wrong filter into it. It was the exact same size, the only difference was that it didn't have 4 slots in one end. Because of it, oil didn't get up to the head and seized it. We got lucky enough that the damage was very minimal and could replace the stock bushing with a bearing and the thing even runs a bit smoother than it ever did before!

I gotta say the initial first ride on the 505 is excellent. Still the ground was dry with lots of traction. You can’t judge on good conditions. It’s when it’s snotty greasy slippery and it still hooks up where the true test is.. but it sure rode great today!!!! I did some no runway short hills with rocks and roots and ugly and the bike hooked up awesome. A new tire is always great the first day too. I was loving rolling in between the trees. I started to go faster but then remembered Im alone and should be more conservative so I don’t crash and hurt myself alone.. but it sure felt fun.. even if it only was a couple of hours. I love hitting any and every line snd the bike just tracks!!! I get through and go wow!! That line worked!! Then another and another!!! Fun! I gotta put my new front tire and Im sure it will feel even better!!!!

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Put a new Shinko 216 Fat tire on the front of the 350...I think it's some kind of record, but only 41 hours on the bike and this is the 3rd tire I've put on the front. Not totally surprised, as I'm extremely hard on front tires for some reason...I usually do a 1:1 ration of front to rear tire changes.

Also wrapped the underside of the fuel tank on the 350 with a reflective aluminium wrap. I've had issues with the fuel getting hot even when moving at a decent clip. On more than one occasion, I actually had fuel boil out the vent hose.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sierra_rider said:

Put a new Shinko 216 Fat tire on the front of the 350...I think it's some kind of record, but only 41 hours on the bike and this is the 3rd tire I've put on the front. Not totally surprised, as I'm extremely hard on front tires for some reason...I usually do a 1:1 ration of front to rear tire changes.

Also wrapped the underside of the fuel tank on the 350 with a reflective aluminium wrap. I've had issues with the fuel getting hot even when moving at a decent clip. On more than one occasion, I actually had fuel boil out the vent hose.

what aluminum wrap did you use? The same kind for dryer vent hoses? Can you share a pic when you get a chance. thx