offworlder

What did you do to your Beta today ?

They’re for a KTM. Not sure of the brand. I got it from All Moto Performance suspension in Montana. IMG_3135.thumb.JPG.17434cdcb3bbdfd8636dc06eee40d765.JPG

Very cool!
Are they the same width/offset/steering stops as Beta?

On 11/29/2018 at 5:51 PM, newk75 said:

Breaking her down for some winter projects.
1. Sending suspension off to MX tech for cartridges and shock service.
2. OI delete
3. Top end
4. Some electrical diagnosis
5. Setting float level

5 Miles of Hell awaits in March and the rocks at Moab were way too harsh last spring.

Other then general grease and clean is there anything else I should do while I'm here?

Has anyone put together a top end kit? I've never done one and would like to get everything I need in one place.

Do I need to do anything to the power valve?

I asked one of my three daughters and she said I should probably "order a screw or two" and "twist some bolts". I need a son. I'm posting this from a Lindsey Sterling concert, a new low. Thinking there might be some more helpful thoughts here. 

I've never got the kit, I just piece it together from my dealer. I order the Piston, wristpin bearing, base gasket, and head o-rings. May as well throw a powervalve cover gasket in there, as you have to remove that cover to disconnect the PV linkage. 

I did my first piston at the 140 hour mark and didn't even touch the powervalve until my next piston change at 250 hours. Didn't even really need a cleaning, but I already had it apart for some work I was doing on the ports.

I've never got the kit, I just piece it together from my dealer. I order the Piston, wristpin bearing, base gasket, and head o-rings. May as well throw a powervalve cover gasket in there, as you have to remove that cover to disconnect the PV linkage. 

I did my first piston at the 140 hour mark and didn't even touch the powervalve until my next piston change at 250 hours. Didn't even really need a cleaning, but I already had it apart for some work I was doing on the ports.

I think my dealer is putting something together. I don't know if the bike even needs the top end but since I bought it used it wouldn't hurt to go through it. Decided to just pull the motor and give it a once over while I'm at it. 20181202_164818.jpeg
  • Like 5

2018 Beta RR300 - I was curious so I weighed it - never done it to any bike before. 

Place digital toughened glass bathroom scale on the lift, bike on top & up she goes..

113.8kg with exactly 7Lt fuel, @ 1Lt coolant, 900mL gear oil, Jet handguards, AXP plastic bashy, ProPower cf pipe guard, Polisport swing arm guards, TuBliss on the rear & a (pretty heavy - @ 2kg ) Golden Tyre mousse up front.

11 hours ago, KatoKonvert said:

2018 Beta RR300 - I was curious so I weighed it - never done it to any bike before. 

Place digital toughened glass bathroom scale on the lift, bike on top & up she goes..

113.8kg with exactly 7Lt fuel, @ 1Lt coolant, 900mL gear oil, Jet handguards, AXP plastic bashy, ProPower cf pipe guard, Polisport swing arm guards, TuBliss on the rear & a (pretty heavy - @ 2kg ) Golden Tyre mousse up front.

250.88 lbs for those of us in the US 

1 hour ago, Ben500RR-S said:

250.88 lbs for those of us in the US 

OHHHHH, Wondered what the KGB's were! 😉

I need a little help, 

Got my top end gasket kit for my 16 300RR and it has what appears to be a lead gasket, I didn't see this when I tore it down. Is it internal? 

20181212_071656.jpg

1 hour ago, newk75 said:

I need a little help, 

Got my top end gasket kit for my 16 300RR and it has what appears to be a lead gasket, I didn't see this when I tore it down. Is it internal? 

20181212_071656.jpg

I've never seen that gasket before, I think you've got an extra gasket...certainly nothing that you would use on the top end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newk75 said:

I need a little help, 

20181212_071656.jpg

I just received an OEM top end kit for my '16 300RR and it also contains the same lead colored gasket.  It is probably not really lead but in any case I don't know where it goes yet.

My OEM Vertex replacement piston is different than the piston in the photo.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chas_M said:

I just received an OEM top end kit for my '16 300RR and it also contains the same lead colored gasket.  It is probably not really lead but in any case I don't know where it goes yet.

Yeah, mine is upside down, I'll flip it over.

13 minutes ago, Chas_M said:

Joke! This is a pro-x. I had no reason to change just saved $10. What do you notice that is different? 

Got the head back together and engine set back in frame. Replaced counter sprocket seal and shift shaft seal while it was on the bench. Got an email from Enduro Spec, suspension shipped today. I need a good torque wrench that has Newton Meters.... I also got my OI delete installed, mixin' from here on. 

20181212_195342.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, newk75 said:

I need a little help, 

20181212_071656.jpg

2018 onwards exhaust flange gasket

• Like 1

12 hours ago, newk75 said:

Got the head back together and engine set back in frame. Replaced counter sprocket seal and shift shaft seal while it was on the bench. Got an email from Enduro Spec, suspension shipped today. I need a good torque wrench that has Newton Meters.... I also got my OI delete installed, mixin' from here on. 

20181212_195342.jpg

You can google the nm and it will convert them to ft lbs or whatever the converstion one might need.  

The Harbor Freight torque wrench has ft lbs on one side and nm's on the other=handy.  

9 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

You can google the nm and it will convert them to ft lbs or whatever the converstion one might need.  

The Harbor Freight torque wrench has ft lbs on one side and nm's on the other=handy.  

Thanks, that is what I have been doing, tired of it, I even printed out a conversion chart. I have found a few. Hoping to find something that will adjust from 5-30ish nm. 

14 minutes ago, newk75 said:

Thanks, that is what I have been doing, tired of it, I even printed out a conversion chart. I have found a few. Hoping to find something that will adjust from 5-30ish nm. 

I agree, it can be a PITBehind when having a wrench-digital even, that is already in nm, so much easier.  

I had gone and printed out all the torque settings that had come in nm, and then wrote the ft or inch lbs next to each nut/bolt.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S
  • Like 2

wrote the ft or inch lbs next to each nut/bolt.  

I've been doing this for years. Every (first) time I have to touch a fastener (look up the torque spec) I write it beside it in Sharpie.