Sign in to follow this  

Dump flood dump flood

Dumped the bike a couple times today on a bit of a climb with loose bolders, both times I dropped it on the right side and both times it flooded and wouldn't start till it dried out, is this normal?

What helps clear it is too hold it wide open while you kick it. Dont keep twisting it open because it will squirt more fuel every time you open the throttle. Just open it and hold it open.

What helps clear it is too hold it wide open while you kick it. Dont keep twisting it open because it will squirt more fuel every time you open the throttle. Just open it and hold it open.

Plus 1

not if its a stock BSR carb on an S model or later E model.  only the fcr has an accel pump and squirts when you twist the wrist. but when you fall over with an fcr fuel is going to dump out of its overflow.

What bike/carb?  Even with an FCR on my bike it first right up after its been dropped offroad no problem.  How long does it lay on its side? 

How about this scenario?  You dump the bike and the fuel bowl empties out the overflow.  If you don't turn the petcock to prime, you have to crank long enough to get the bowl filled.  It won't start and you think it's flooded, but it's actually starved for fuel.

How about this scenario?  You dump the bike and the fuel bowl empties out the overflow.  If you don't turn the petcock to prime, you have to crank long enough to get the bowl filled.  It won't start and you think it's flooded, but it's actually starved for fuel.

when the bike  is upright, it takes about 1-2 seconds to fill the float bowl. if it's using a vacuum petcock, that's about as long as it takes to clear a flooded condition, or less. 

dropped bike = WOT, and try the starter for 2-3 seconds. the second time you try this, it will fire and run fine. 

not if its a stock BSR carb on an S model or later E model.  only the fcr has an accel pump and squirts when you twist the wrist. but when you fall over with an fcr fuel is going to dump out of its overflow.

What bike/carb?  Even with an FCR on my bike it first right up after its been dropped offroad no problem.  How long does it lay on its side? 

Only long enough to get my footing and get it back up. It's a stock 03 400S, you can smell the fuel it's definitely flooded I have to wait a couple minutes then W/O throttle and away she goes it's just a pain having to wait around.

The stock carb floods really fast.  I just hold it wide open and crank for a bit.  Just have to look for your buddies, so they don't know you took a nap.