Sign in to follow this  

Helmet Question

Hi all

Yesterday during a ride I took a whack to the head from a low hanging branch. I felt a bit woozy after that and had a bit of a headache for the rest of the day. I would like to know if the helmet os toast now? There is no visoble external damage, but it was quite a hit. It's a Fox V3 helmet

How big was the branch? Where did it hit you (specifically the area of your helmet that it hit), How fast where you going?

Was the "wooziness" and headache caused by the beer/liqueur that you drank the night before?

I'd say it probably just rang your bell, the noise causing the dizziness and headache. I've had a baseball size rock, launched from a rider hit the side of my helmet...(talk about a bell ringer!)...still used it. I'm not wealthy by any means, but I like to replace helmets as I smash em around. For me it's an overall safety thing and I am the bread winner at home, so if I crash and my head hits, I replace. I can't say if I'd consider a tree branch a "hit" or "crash".

I was probably going around 10 to 20km/h with the branch around 20cm in diameter. Hit me above my forehead, on the crown area. No drinking involved at all :p

The speed and object were sufficient to cause mayor damage to the helmet in a critical area. The problem is, if you hit another branch or if you go down on the crown of your head in a subsequent crash, the EPS (styrofoam) in the area you hit is already compressed and will never expand back. This means the energy transfer to the exact part of your head that was injured this time will be much higher in those scenarios. Whether the shell is damaged or not is less important, but still potentially relevant. The good news is your helmet is obsolete. The V3 was designed to meet Snell 2005 standards, which required helmets to be much less energy absorbing in crashes like the one you describe. That's why even at 6.2 to 12.4 mph, you really felt it. The new Fox lineup (V1, V2 and V4) all meet Snell 2010 standards, which are softer, but even more important, they all have dual density EPS liners which will significantly reduce the shock you feel in lower speed crashes like the one you had. Why is that good? Because its time for you to upgrade anyway. Even the V1 is better than the one you have. Glad you are OK. Hope you do some research and find a good replacement.

• Like 1

The speed and object were sufficient to cause mayor damage to the helmet in a critical area. The problem is, if you hit another branch or if you go down on the crown of your head in a subsequent crash, the EPS (styrofoam) in the area you hit is already compressed and will never expand back. This means the energy transfer to the exact part of your head that was injured this time will be much higher in those scenarios. Whether the shell is damaged or not is less important, but still potentially relevant. The good news is your helmet is obsolete. The V3 was designed to meet Snell 2005 standards, which required helmets to be much less energy absorbing in crashes like the one you describe. That's why even at 6.2 to 12.4 mph, you really felt it. The new Fox lineup (V1, V2 and V4) all meet Snell 2010 standards, which are softer, but even more important, they all have dual density EPS liners which will significantly reduce the shock you feel in lower speed crashes like the one you had. Why is that good? Because its time for you to upgrade anyway. Even the V1 is better than the one you have. Glad you are OK. Hope you do some research and find a good replacement.

Yeah, I was worried this would be the case. Been doing a little research in the meantime. So far the Suomy Catwalk, Scorpion VX20 and UFO are catching my eye. Want to have a look at the new Thor as well.

Yeah, I was worried this would be the case. Been doing a little research in the meantime. So far the Suomy Catwalk, Scorpion VX20 and UFO are catching my eye. Want to have a look at the new Thor as well.

Don't settle for single density EPS. You don't need to. I haven't researched your choices above, but I am sure you will. In your search, check this one http://www.ppsmoto.com/reviews/motocross-gear-tests/kali-prana-carbon-helmet-review/ Looks like a true premium lid at a very reasonable price. Around $300 or so.

This thread is good reading if you are considering a new lid: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1043238-get-what-you-pay-for-helmets/

Shot for the info! Irony is I won the MotoUSA Fantasy MX where the prize was a new Kali Prana lid, but I am inelligible for the prize as I live in South Africa :lame:

Edit: been looking around the web for info on helmets and I must say most manufacturers have a lot of room for improvement in terms of the information they present on their sites. It's all about the graphics and the ventilation, very little on the standards the helmet conforms to and even less info on the inner layers

Edited by thebob_za

Shot for the info! Irony is I won the MotoUSA Fantasy MX where the prize was a new Kali Prana lid, but I am inelligible for the prize as I live in South Africa :lame:

Edit: been looking around the web for info on helmets and I must say most manufacturers have a lot of room for improvement in terms of the information they present on their sites. It's all about the graphics and the ventilation, very little on the standards the helmet conforms to and even less info on the inner layers

That IS Lame! Also glad you noticed the incredible lack of relevant information on most helmet manufacturers's web sites. Also lame. Don't despair. If a helmet has dual density EPS, it's on their website. If it isn't mentioned, it isn't there.

Ok, well I have narrowed my choices down to the three helmets below:

UFO Warrior

http://www.motostorm.it/en/details.asp?articolo=4006

Suomy Mr. Jump

http://www.motostorm.it/en/details.asp?articolo=4374

Scorpion VX-20

http://www.motostorm.it/en/details.asp?articolo=5458

Any thoughts or experience with any of these helmets is appreciated

Edited by thebob_za

Ok, well I have narrowed my choices down to the three helmets below:

UFO Warrior

http://www.motostorm.it/en/details.asp?articolo=4006

Suomy Mr. Jump

http://www.motostorm.it/en/details.asp?articolo=4374

Scorpion VX-20

http://www.motostorm.it/en/details.asp?articolo=5458

Any thoughts or experience with any of these helmets is appreciated

I noticed Scorpion boast "smart shell" technology with the vx-20. The only referance I was able to turn up was about a different Scorpion model, but Im going to assume its the same. 

Here is a quote.

Scorpion also is at the forefront of new helmet technologies. Its EXO-1100, for instance, has been billed by the company as a "next-generation helmet."

The shell is constructed from its exclusive Thermodynamical Composite Technology material, and it features an all-new EPS liner.

"Think of it as a 'smart helmet' when it comes to its ability to absorb impact," said Michael MacGregor, a product manager for Scorpion Sports. "The shell is able to gradually crumple on impact, which allows it to absorb much of the energy generated by the shock, while still retaining the majority of its structural integrity."

Sounds great, but would love to see the real testing results..
  • Like 1

LMAO it's a big difference to some others, too.  The Mr. Jump and UFO both have channels cut into the EPS layer.  By definition, this means dual-density EPS, but I find it surprising that their respective websites don't call this out as a safety feature.  If they use denser material to begin with and cut channels into it for ventilation, it may be no different than a uniform density EPS liner.  I honestly don't know, but I tried to find out.  You already experienced what a minor hit feels like with a single EPS lid.  No fun, is it?

Not at all. The Suomy site lists the Mr Jump as having a variable density liner and I found a review from a respectable magazine which states the UFO has as well.

Will hit a couple stores this weekend and see what else is on offer

Not at all. The Suomy site lists the Mr Jump as having a variable density liner and I found a review from a respectable magazine which states the UFO has as well.Will hit a couple stores this weekend and see what else is on offer

Like I said, both have "variable density" because of grooves cut in the liner, but the Suomy site does not link this to impact absorption or safety as I recall. If you can link to the UFO review that would be helpful. I would like to read it. No matter what, I hope you find a good lid that fits and that you won't have to test it any time soon!

Review qas in TBM magazine so won't be able to link to it. I must re read it as I want to make 100% sure about the EPS density. Seems like a cheap trick to label a helmet as having a variable density liner just cause it has grooves cut into it. Would be like Fox claiming the V3 has the variable density liner because there are vent holes in it

Review qas in TBM magazine so won't be able to link to it. I must re read it as I want to make 100% sure about the EPS density. Seems like a cheap trick to label a helmet as having a variable density liner just cause it has grooves cut into it. Would be like Fox claiming the V3 has the variable density liner because there are vent holes in it

True that  :thumbsup: Good news is, it looks like the new lineup of all Fox helmets have dual-density EPS now.  No V3 to be found.  Just V1, V2 and V4.  When you get 100% sure, let us know please. 

One big difference between the Scorpion vs. the UFO and Suomy is that the Scorpion is made in China, whilst the other two are made in Italy. That is pushing me towards the Suomy and UFO for sure.

Stay away from Scorpion. My VX-34 is crap. The bright white faded to a disgusting yellow in no time at all, 6 months and scorpion refused to do anything about it.  Once they moved build to China they went down hill. My old USA made scorpions are great, just lack the new technology of other helmets.