Sign in to follow this  

Whoops

gas it and lock those knees in

But in saying that everyone is different.. personally i like to blitz the first few whoops on the rear tire

Edited by jay_88

gas it and lock those knees in

But in saying that everyone is different.. personally i like to blitz the first few whoops on the rear tire

Thanks man I will try that :)

:lol: I think he's screwing with you.  Dont' try that please.

I'm awful at getting on top of supercross-style whoops, but decent on sand whoops.  

In both styles you want to use your legs to push the back tire down into the whoops to keep you driving forward. You wan to get your butt back a little from centered, and crouch a little lower than you would just trail riding or standing on your bike on the stand.  Knees bent , elbows bent, riding almost on your toes, with your toes pointed in.

The main difference between rolling sandy whoops and sharp man-made whoops is that in sandy whoops you don't have to drive your front tire into the face you can pretty near manual the bike just kissing the tops of the whoops with the front tire.  In sharp stadium whoops you need to make more of an effort to really hit every whoop with the front tire so it stays up out of the bottoms.  If you jump into them you want to pick the second or third one and try to clip it to get your bike levelled out.

Easier than that is to wheelie two, and jump one, in a half-rhythm until you get a feel for them.  Lots of times there's one sticking up little bit or that's a little sharper and if you're really on top of them you don't have an easy way out, but if you're jumpy, rollie wheel tapping them it shouldn't be too sketchy.

:lol: I think he's screwing with you. Dont' try that please.

I'm awful at getting on top of supercross-style whoops, but decent on sand whoops.

In both styles you want to use your legs to push the back tire down into the whoops to keep you driving forward. You wan to get your butt back a little from centered, and crouch a little lower than you would just trail riding or standing on your bike on the stand. Knees bent , elbows bent, riding almost on your toes, with your toes pointed in.

The main difference between rolling sandy whoops and sharp man-made whoops is that in sandy whoops you don't have to drive your front tire into the face you can pretty near manual the bike just kissing the tops of the whoops with the front tire. In sharp stadium whoops you need to make more of an effort to really hit every whoop with the front tire so it stays up out of the bottoms. If you jump into them you want to pick the second or third one and try to clip it to get your bike levelled out.

Easier than that is to wheelie two, and jump one, in a half-rhythm until you get a feel for them. Lots of times there's one sticking up little bit or that's a little sharper and if you're really on top of them you don't have an easy way out, but if you're jumpy, rollie wheel tapping them it shouldn't be too sketchy.

Thanks heaps man! In new to this but you guys are heaps helpful! I will tell you how I end up, hopefully I won't message you from hospital or with a broken bone haha ;)

Anyone have any tips for riding whoops straight out of the corner? Thanks!

Most whoops do begin right out of a corner so the following techniques would apply to all whoops. There are three different techniques for whoops.

A.        Jumping through the troughs of the whoops. 

B.         Front wheel placement.

C.        Skimming the tops of the whoops.

You all know what jumping through the troughs of the whoops are and what skimming the whoops are but what is front wheel placement? This is similar to jumping through the troughs of the whoops but instead of jumping with the front wheel low, so it lands first, it is jumping with the front end high. At the same time the rear wheel is wheel tapping, usually one whoop. This is a very useful technique when you can't quite triple the whoops, you can use the front wheel placement technique to wheel tap the second one and get over the third one.

For all these techniques some key points to practice are;

- Keep your weight off of the handlebars. 

- Clutch and throttle control along with body movements are what gives you control when jumping or doing front wheel placement.

- Keep the balls of your feet on the foot-pegs.

- Your handgrip should be in the accelerating position (high over grip). This is so your body movements can work through your whole range of motion over the bike.

- Hold onto the bike with your knees.

- Look far enough out in front of you to be ready for the four or fifth whoop, not just the next one or two.

When the whoops are uneven you most likely will have to use a combination of all three techniques.  Make sure you look far enough ahead so you are ready for what’s coming up. 

For all the info about whoops check out my Volume 1 Techniques DVD # 3 (The Art of Jumping and Whoops) or Volume 2 Techniques DVD # 3 (All About Jumping and Whoops).  http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/volume-2/dvd-3-all-about-jumps-whoops

VP-2011-Everything copy.jpg

Most whoops do begin right out of a corner so the following techniques would apply to all whoops. There are three different techniques for whoops.

A. Jumping through the troughs of the whoops.

B. Front wheel placement.

C. Skimming the tops of the whoops.

You all know what jumping through the troughs of the whoops are and what skimming the whoops are but what is front wheel placement? This is similar to jumping through the troughs of the whoops but instead of jumping with the front wheel low, so it lands first, it is jumping with the front end high. At the same time the rear wheel is wheel tapping, usually one whoop. This is a very useful technique when you can't quite triple the whoops, you can use the front wheel placement technique to wheel tap the second one and get over the third one.

For all these techniques some key points to practice are;

- Keep your weight off of the handlebars.

- Clutch and throttle control along with body movements are what gives you control when jumping or doing front wheel placement.

- Keep the balls of your feet on the foot-pegs.

- Your handgrip should be in the accelerating position (high over grip). This is so your body movements can work through your whole range of motion over the bike.

- Hold onto the bike with your knees.

- Look far enough out in front of you to be ready for the four or fifth whoop, not just the next one or two.

When the whoops are uneven you most likely will have to use a combination of all three techniques. Make sure you look far enough ahead so you are ready for what’s coming up.

For all the info about whoops check out my Volume 1 Techniques DVD # 3 (The Art of Jumping and Whoops) or Volume 2 Techniques DVD # 3 (All About Jumping and Whoops). http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/volume-2/dvd-3-all-about-jumps-whoops

Thanks mate I will watch that video and use your tips when I get out riding :)