Winter tire setup?

Hey guys, 

Wasn't sure where exactly to post this but I want to get a head start on getting my bike winter ready (I live in canada).

I notice a lot of guys swear by sheet metal screws and say they hold up fine... it would be A LOT cheaper than buying a professional set or professional studs.

Do the screws/studs hold up fine on the ice? I think I'd be riding more snowy trails than lakes so I don't think ice spikes are the way to go for me...

Sheet metal screws would be a waste of money on the rear tires they would just round off or get thrown they make special screws I think there called cold cutters its been awhile we also used to build our own they looked just like trelleborgs when we were done we get a stud gun and the studs from winterstuds.com and it was less than half the price of telleborgs

Hey guys, 

Wasn't sure where exactly to post this but I want to get a head start on getting my bike winter ready (I live in canada).

I notice a lot of guys swear by sheet metal screws and say they hold up fine... it would be A LOT cheaper than buying a professional set or professional studs.

Do the screws/studs hold up fine on the ice? I think I'd be riding more snowy trails than lakes so I don't think ice spikes are the way to go for me...

Do NOT run Home Depot type cheap s/m screws. The heads will snap off and they will prematurely wear out. If you choose to ics screw a set of tires, only use "Pro Gold"  Ice screws. They are specifically meant for ice . I run them on my KX500 and you will ocassionally loose a few but that's normal. Keep an eye on the screws If you see them backing out, screw them back in.

https://www.denniskirk.com/pro-gold/coarse-thread-ice-screws.p080710.prd/080719.sku