98 CR125 HPP governor

Hey!

I found out, that the governor in my friends 98 CR125 is broken. Metal shim, which holds four steel balls in place cracked in half. After some research about fitment, this is what I found:

- 91 to 97 (governors in this years are the same)

- 98 to 99 (after looking at some pictures on google, they look to be the same as above ones)

- 00 and on (different, all metal governor with no plastic insert, RC valve later on)

I'm asking if it's possible to fit 97 governor to 98 engine.

Yes you can!

They are basically all the same. Give and take a couple rpms because of different spring tension maybe but that's really minor. I even modified one to have it open even later when running a big 38mm carb.

Copper-colour washers added to a stock governor to add some more resistance to have it open the HPP a little later. I bought that one pictured below on Ebay for 23$...

8466428873_621a91112b_z.jpg

Edited by nino

Well, glad to hear that!

It makes sense about spring though.

I found out your mod earlier in some other topic and I have to say it's a smart thing when you consider to add some fine tuning to your bike. Great stuff.

By the way: how did you remove that press-fited shim at the bottom? Maybe I'll play with it a little, till I get one from ebay.

Well, glad to hear that!

It makes sense about spring though.

I found out your mod earlier in some other topic and I have to say it's a smart thing when you consider to add some fine tuning to your bike. Great stuff.

By the way: how did you remove that press-fited shim at the bottom? Maybe I'll play with it a little, till I get one from ebay.

It's not so easy to get it off.I used a special tool but can't name it in english...but another and much easier way to change the HPP opening would be one of those adjustable HPP covers made by Wirtz. I was able to get my hands on one off ebay (pictured below). A good friend of mine uses both the shimmed governor and additionally even some more preload with this cover on his 144cc CR 125.

8999416060_eb47509a04_z.jpg

8999415514_8c5f9983b4_z.jpg

Edited by nino