Bent Radiator, would guards have stopped it?

Took my bike out on a 50 miles of trails yesterday. It rained heavily and even hailed on us. I also ate crap twice! lol the first time was nice as I managed to get my tire rear tire on the wrong side of a log i was perpendicular to.... underwater! so I couldn't see it No damage... well not to the bike I have a nice little road rash patch but oh well. the second crash I managed to land the right side of the bike squarely on the right shroud and bent the radiator back at the bottom. I'm waiting for my guards to arrive but I wonder if it really would have stopped it? do they make a brace that would support the radiator better? I'll post pictures once I get the bike cleaned up. Its caked in mud right now! ?

Also I think i found what is a thermostat in the plumbing. Can I take this out with out any harm? I can see the need for it on the highway and even in the winter when I put my track kit on but do I really need it for deep woods riding?

12' 500xc-w

Did you just bend the radiator back, or did you actually bend in the bottom of the radiator, more towards the bike?  Your picture will definitely shed some light on the subject.

I can't say that the guards would have STOPPED the radiator from getting damaged, but I can't help but think that they would have at the very minimum lessened the severity of the damage to the radiator.

I just have Enduro Engineering gurads on my bike, and thank goodness, I haven't gone down hard enough to test them out yet. The front corner of the guards have a bend on the edge there, and it's going to make that corner harder to bend in.  May not completely stop radiator damage, but cant hurt.  

I think that the ultimate in radiator protection would be the Bullet Proof Designs radiator guards, milled out of billet aluminum.  Those things look tough. 

CADman_KS

Did you just bend the radiator back, or did you actually bend in the bottom of the radiator, more towards the bike?  Your picture will definitely shed some light on the subject.

I can't say that the guards would have STOPPED the radiator from getting damaged, but I can't help but think that they would have at the very minimum lessened the severity of the damage to the radiator.

I just have Enduro Engineering gurads on my bike, and thank goodness, I haven't gone down hard enough to test them out yet. The front corner of the guards have a bend on the edge there, and it's going to make that corner harder to bend in.  May not completely stop radiator damage, but cant hurt.  

I think that the ultimate in radiator protection would be the Bullet Proof Designs radiator guards, milled out of billet aluminum.  Those things look tough. 

CADman_KS

the BPD's are what I have on the way. The bottom of the radiator bent back towards the rear tire. I'm worried that the radiator guards would only help from a crushing in towards the center of the bike. I'll be washing the bike here soon, have to wait until every one is awake in the neighborhood. 

Thermostat can be removed, I have one on my 450 as well. Monk was referring to the thermo switch for your fan I believe. I've left my thermostat in. Haven't seen a need to remove it. Chances are for the way you tweaked the rad guards probably would not have prevented the damage but would have lessened it. I have the KTM hard parts guards on my 450 and even with having them my left side rad is a little beat up. It will most likely be getting sent to Mylers for a little love soon.

Thermostat can be removed, I have one on my 450 as well. Monk was referring to the thermo switch for your fan I believe. I've left my thermostat in. Haven't seen a need to remove it. Chances are for the way you tweaked the rad guards probably would not have prevented the damage but would have lessened it. I have the KTM hard parts guards on my 450 and even with having them my left side rad is a little beat up. It will most likely be getting sent to Mylers for a little love soon.

Mylers? 

Barely tweaked. ?

Might consider real hand guards. Last trip to Taylor Park one of our guys had to ride almost 30 miles without a clutch because he broke his master. He didn't have a lot of fun.  A master costs twice as much as guards.

They are on the way! lol along with new grips, and the radiator guards. The only thing that was in stock locally was the Carbon fiber skid plate I wanted.

Its barely tweaked enough to jam up the fan and its leaking lol 

Yes your right, I had the two mixed. That being said, I did have to replace that switch not to long ago...

Link?

I already ordered a replacement Radiator and plastics for it but if Mylers is any good I could always keep a spare!

Mylers can fix your rad to new condition. They are located in Utah I believe. Don't have a link but a quick Google search should bring them up. They also sell complete radiator sets as well at better prices/quality than OEM. Check'em out! You can thank me later ;-)

Mylers can fix your rad to new condition. They are located in Utah I believe. Don't have a link but a quick Google search should bring them up. They also sell complete radiator sets as well at better prices/quality than OEM. Check'em out! You can thank me later ;-)

Are you running one of his sets? $320 for my bike isnt bad. being that its ~$250 for the right side OEM only. Do they fit well with the fan?