Alternative to new seat......padded riding shorts?

I've been giving some thought to a new seat for the CRF....I like the Corbin but am balking at the price....so I'm wondering how a pair of padded riding shorts like the Klim's would be in alleviating some of the numbness in the hind end from riding on the stock seat for very long. They have the padded chamois in the crotch area. Does anybody else wear anythng like these while riding and does it make a difference? The Klim's are $100 so that's a lot to spend to try them out when if they didn't make much difference, then that $100 could have went towards a new seat!

http://www.revzilla.com/snow/klim-tactical-shorts?utm_source=product&kwd=&gclid=CObi84L1u7kCFe4-MgodJUsAbw

Edited by harcomo
  • Like 1

My thought is that every time you ride you have to put on the shorts. But with the seat you get the comfort no matter what kind of panties you have on. You want to go for a quick 20 mile ride and don't want to mess with the shorts but that cushy new seat is already there.

I plan on getting the seat concepts one when I can afford it.

• Like 4

I have the seat concepts seat on this bike which is good for shorter rides of 100ish miles, for anything planned over 150 I also wear padded shorts (cycling shorts I already have) and they may a huge difference and are well worth the money.

I have some of these: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1112130_-1_400065__400065

Edited by slolane
  • Like 4

interesting

I have ass padded shorts for my  downhill bike

but haven't really contemplated them for the xr650   probably because I wouldn't want to wear them in the truck as I haul the bike to and from and I don't want to strip down

on the side of the trail head

I think I will keep looking for a better seat

Well, here is my situation.....I don't really want to butcher up the stock seat to replace it with the Seat Concepts and don't want to spend $100 to buy another stock seat for a donor seat pan. The Corbin I'm sure is high quality but at about $400 shipped is pricey for a $4500 bike. But then, so is a $100 pair of shorts! So I don't know....I may give the Klim shorts another look then. I'm not needing anything for any long distance riding or commuting, just something to alleviate the squirming on the seat trying to get comfortable after 30 minutes. Guess I just don't have enough natural padding on my hind end...maybe I just need to stand on the pegs more often!

• Like 1

Well, here is my situation.....I don't really want to butcher up the stock seat to replace it with the Seat Concepts and don't want to spend $100 to buy another stock seat for a donor seat pan. The Corbin I'm sure is high quality but at about $400 shipped is pricey for a $4500 bike. But then, so is a $100 pair of shorts! So I don't know....I may give the Klim shorts another look then. I'm not needing anything for any long distance riding or commuting, just something to alleviate the squirming on the seat trying to get comfortable after 30 minutes. Guess I just don't have enough natural padding on my hind end...maybe I just need to stand on the pegs more often!

Now for my 2 cents ....  :goofy:

Those Klim's are not meant to be a comfort short ... they are protection shorts and I think they are a really good idea for off road or even longer distance adventure rides. I have been looking at some for me and my boy .. so far I like the ones made by Fox but now I can not seem to find them ...  :thinking:

My thinking is always like this ..... If I plan to keep the machine then the price of the product upgrade does not matter as long as I am getting high quality stuff. I have the Corbin seat and I believe it is worth every penny. Not that I am going to sell this bike but, If I did ....  the buyer would have to buy the seat separately if they wanted it. I'm sure it will have a good resale value.

The same goes with my protaper/HDB bars and guards set up I have. They are a simple bolt on product that I am sure I could sell real easy on this site.  :prof:

I think currently I have spent about $3000.00 on upgrades and I plan on adding a Scotts damper along with a big bore kit and maybe some new wheels and graphics. My upgrades will be more than what I paid for the bike...   :shocked: 

The real question you need to ask yourself is ..... How much do you like the CRF250L and are you going to keep it forever ... I know I am ...   ? 

If you can honestly answer yes .... then buy what you want ... make it unique ... make it yours and share with the world !!! ...  ? 

• Like 4

My upgrades will be more than what I paid for the bike...

Mine will be close too, no matter cause I'm keeping it a while. I have had many bikes I just planned to keep a year/season and then sell... I wouldn't put more than $1k into those so it depends on your bank account and your expected future with the CRF.

Good thing is the CRF is a great bike even in stock form, good ratio of smiles per mile for the cheap cost.

• Like 2

Just take itto your local upholserer shop, they can do wonders at a fraction of the cost, just saying!

• Like 1

i have the ARC padded riding shorts...  i wore them for a little bit last year... they make a world of a difference... i don't even mind the stock seat and with the padded shorts on, it made it like i was on my recliner at home...  lol  seriously, they work...

shorts are on the left...

2013-03-02_00-56-03_731.jpg

Edited by eyeopenher
  • Like 3

I bit the bullet today and ordered the Klim Tactical Shorts....I should know if they were worth the money in about a week or so. While I was at it, I also ordered a Klim Traverse jacket. I think I could qualify as a Klim junkie....they make some great quality gear!

• Like 4