Sign in to follow this  

New Stuff in Baja

I just got back from a 6 day trip around the northern peninsula. Here are a few new twists that I saw:

- There is a new approach to the Tecate border crossing, it starts way out to the east, coming in on the free road. It is just east of the Circle K and has a road sign. So you can now get to the line without going through town. The regular approach is still open also, but I imagine that when the line gets very backed up, you will have to get in via this route.

- 5pm Saturday night, not a single car in the line at Tecate

- The race course road from Ensenada to Ojos seems to be jacked up again. Coming off the highway at the Pepsi stand (Ensenada side) there is a crude spray painted sign that says "motos por carretera federal", bikes use the highway. The toll gate is completely gone, as if it never existed. As we passed the nice ranch down in the bottom, the one with the oak trees, I waved at the lady and she made an angry gesture back. I think she was headed out to intercept us. It was just three of us and we were just idling past nice and quiet. On the Ojos side the gate was fine, same as always.

- There is a a huge amount of quarry activity on the "volcano" down at Sn Quintin. Big parts of mountain are gone. One trail that goes from the top down now has a 50' cliff. You could easily start down and never even realize it. So beware.

• Like 1

the sign if from a past race... and the lady was mad because she owns the property you just rode through and charges 20 pesos per bike... thats why she was mad !!! and you waving made it worse ! haha funny 

2iqfqro.jpg

there is a sign that says cooperation 20 pesos, she was approaching to say hello and collect, shes a really nice lady

also the had machines workin some trails and really jacked them up really loose dirt and sand with rocks waiting to take your front end out if you take the ocho route to tres hermanos

Edited by rangerclass7sx

Good info Chilly Ray, hope the ride was epic, the rain looked really interesting!

New - There is a route some of us turkeys use below El Rosario, actually in. Well the US ag company has ramped up their effort and there is now a guard and rope gate blocking the access near the silty planted fields. The guard said they just increased the access restriction as I believe they are trying to be certified to sell in the US. There already is a trail around this but it is a long way around and we had a hard time finding it as it is a long way away.

Lot's of rain and rain ruts on most all trails in the SC mud hills

Same OLd Baja --Half the population has it's hands out --the other half will take it when your not looking!!Nothing much changes i see

This is Andres who invited us for lunch. He practically insisted we stay. He lives way out in the bush and was happy for a little company. Has anyone ever been to this place before?

P1000729-L.jpg

Same OLd Baja --Half the population has it's hands out --the other half will take it when your not looking!!Nothing much changes i see

thats one messed up comment, but who says all baja people have a high opinion of americans...

I dont mind paying 2 dollars for some good riding. that whole trail to ojos is great and clean. They could just lock the gates, and no let us ride trough their backyards...

I dont mind paying 2 dollars for some good riding. that whole trail to ojos is great and clean. They could just lock the gates, and no let us ride trough their backyards...

Actually I think this is a federally maintained road and that it is open to the public. For sure everything on the AAA map is "federal comiso" not sure the spelling ut it means open government roads. It doesn't mean you don't have to respect the people but in some cases they gate, lock, or fence roads they don't have the right to. This includes charging a passage fee at times when it is not their right to do so.

Generally instead of arguing we make a fair deal but sometimes it is total BS and this very gate tried to charge a lot more than 20 pesos a person one time we were there. We spoke to them for a while, they were cool but I'm sure tired of being the first dirt road out of Ensenada more or less.

This same gate has a Ranchers and Racers sign on it sponsored by Parkhouse Tire and we were there with Brian Parkhouse, I thought this was pretty funny actually that Brian had paid to helping make that an upgraded gate/opening and he was being charged to clear it! Johnny Campbell was the answer as when they saw 11-Time they mellowed out a bit.... I'm guessing they don't like TT racers so I kept quite!

• Like 2

Actually I think this is a federally maintained road and that it is open to the public. For sure everything on the AAA map is "federal comiso" not sure the spelling ut it means open government roads. It doesn't mean you don't have to respect the people but in some cases they gate, lock, or fence roads they don't have the right to. This includes charging a passage fee at times when it is not their right to do so.

Generally instead of arguing we make a fair deal but sometimes it is total BS and this very gate tried to charge a lot more than 20 pesos a person one time we were there. We spoke to them for a while, they were cool but I'm sure tired of being the first dirt road out of Ensenada more or less.

This same gate has a Ranchers and Racers sign on it sponsored by Parkhouse Tire and we were there with Brian Parkhouse, I thought this was pretty funny actually that Brian had paid to helping make that an upgraded gate/opening and he was being charged to clear it! Johnny Campbell was the answer as when they saw 11-Time they mellowed out a bit.... I'm guessing they don't like TT racers so I kept quite!

is lance still working on the ranchers and racers?? I havent seen any signs... Honestly it would be annoying having dirtbikes and quads and buggys, what not haulin butt in your property everyweekend. There is a motorcycles shop around the corner of my house and im tired of hearing them rev the bikes all day and test ride down my street everyday . And i love dirtbikes

Right, because landowners should just welcome us with open arms when dumbasses have been leaving their gates open, allowing cattle to escape and blasting through their property, kicking up dust for years. Baja owes us nothing. We owe them a lot.

Edited by Justin Hambleton
  • Like 4

well said Justin! so many people get  the feeling that they "own the place" just because they have "been there"  x amount of times!

when you are traveling in someone elses backyard or front yard for that matter, respect goes a long way toward being welcomed back in the future.

• Like 1

well said Justin! so many people get  the feeling that they "own the place" just because they have "been there"  x amount of times!

when you are traveling in someone elses backyard or front yard for that matter, respect goes a long way toward being welcomed back in the future.

After talking to people that live in Baja in lots of areas I haven't seen/heard much in the way of bike haters. For the most part all pleasant interactions... some people can't believe we would actually ride dirt bikes in some of the remote tough areas but that causes more smiles than anything

"we would actually ride dirt bikes in some of the remote tough areas but that causes more smiles than anything"

exactly boogersdad!! i don't get there as often as some of you guys do, but i love the baja and the people just as much! i travel 3000 km's every winter from bc canada  just to get a ride in every winter!!

and i have seen your stickers on rocks and cactus, on some of my favorite tracks down there. i do think that riding a dirtbike through the tough parts of baja, gives us a better appreciation of what it takes/ and the kind of people that can and do scratch out a living  in a place such as this!

Stickers on cactus & rocks, fantastic! So why on earth would they be tired of us jacking up their land? Tread lightly brothers. Does is feel good laying down markers everywhere we go?

We would not even think of doing that to Joshua Tree or Gorman, yet some folks think it okay to desecrate Mexico...wake up

Well put Jimmy boy,some info if you guys lived in Baja you would see in another light.The big guys(large ranchos)do not like us.Why> dont close gates,Racing past there crops,They do not want us making dust,on crops.Please go very slow on ranchos,show respect.Unless you want Baja to be like CA.So when riding on Ranchos,stop and talk to owners,ask if its Ok to ride.Keep speed down.BTR

• Like 1

Old subject, I know but now you've got me on my soapbox. Stickers...many locations that cater to the riders of Baja welcome stickers on their windows, walls and bathrooms. But putting them on rocks and plants may be going to far. I've witnessed some regular riders that read this thread ask for permission to post a club sticker on ranchers property or a bars windows or old refrigerator and it's always been welcomed. Remember, just don't stick'um before you ask, it's polite and it's the way it should be done. And "NEVER" cover up someone else's sticker....it's just bad JuJu.

Now the topic of Day-Glow markers. In the past seven years they have increased ten fold....unlike my 401K :). It's not all SCORE markers but tour guides, family trips and good ol'boys out for a weekend to Mike's. Years ago I was talking to a tour guide about my next trip to San Quintin, he asked if I wouldn't mind pulling any left over markers I see that may have been left over from a recent ride...not his. By the time I hit Coyote Cal's I had my Camel Back stuffed full and there was no more room to stuff banners or ribbon behind my number plate. Not fun but I did my share, now if everyone pulled just five to ten ribbons on each ride I believe we could really clean up the trails. Just my two cents.

RAK San Diego

• Like 4

Bottomline, riding in CA is jacked. We still have it pretty good down in Baja and if we work together our grandkids might also be able to enjoy it. Educating everyone to be respectful is just good for all. Braaapppppp!