Transmission oil change causing damage

Hello , I like keeping my baby in good running condition, an 02 silverado. Been thinking about getting tranny fluid changed. However there have been stories about people doing this then shortly after their tranny going south. It actually happened to my dad in his diesel. Don't know if I should r not. She's got 143000 on and have no idea when it was last done.

Drop the pan, do fluid and filter.

The "dont change it" myth is mostly due to people that already have a transmission exhibiting issues, doing a fluid change, then it dies. Truth is, the trans was already about to crap out anyway.

Another issue is flushes without a filter change. Junk accumulated in the pan can get stirred up and then clog the filter. Now an otherwise good transmission is starved for fluid and gives up it's life. Or flushing backwards, which would force debris into the transmission. But on most cars there are chack valves or anti-drainback valves to keep the convertor full when parked that would prevent reversing the flush.

And the final theory, clutch material and glues used 20-30 years ago was susceptible to being broken down by the detergenta and additives in newer ATFs, so changing oil on an older car could cause clutch pack failure.

I've always done fluid and filters. Keep in mind that just dropping the pan only changes about 1/2 the fluid.

Hello , I like keeping my baby in good running condition, an 02 silverado. Been thinking about getting tranny fluid changed. However there have been stories about people doing this then shortly after their tranny going south. It actually happened to my dad in his diesel. Don't know if I should r not. She's got 143000 on and have no idea when it was last done.

Its usually recommended at 50,000 mile intervals. So I personally don't change it!

Here's why. In 2000 I started working for my families ambulance company as fleet maintenance. We have 150 units ranging from cars to E450's so I asked if we will start servicing transmissions on them, I was told no we don't do that. I asked why not, he showed me that we where averaging 420,000 miles on transmissions without service.

So I questioned this for quite a while, one day I was decommissioning a 1996 model E250 with 750,000 miles on it and while going through the records on it, noticed it never once had a trans service. Never even as much as a timing chain.

Still had factory water pump!

The engine and trans and rear diff never opened up for anything, just tuneups every 150,000 miles and oil changed every 10,000 miles. Not bad for a 4.2l ?

Same has been realized on 7.3l diesels and 4.6l as well. So I will say this we have had in the years since twelve transmissions replaced but are all 6.0l engines and at usually 230,000 miles. Go figure. I've not won the arguments for having trans service done.

I have also had customers cars that I drive in shop and change fluid and then they don't move. So ????

I have also had customers cars that I drive in shop and change fluid and then they don't move. So ????

So, what was wrong with them after the fluid change?

I go with, change the fluid (and filter) with VERY high quality trans fluid (mine is around $18 qt) and then don't touch it again unless you see signs of contamination, which you will after a couple HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES. Tune ups every 50-100K and oil every 7-10K. Rear ends are the same, put good stuff in it once and don't touch it again. My van is at 390,000 miles with LOTS of RV towing and a few trips through Baja, Mexico as a chase vehicle.....the motor is starting to give up, but   :excuseme: after all it's been through, it should have gone 75,000 miles ago.

Change the fluid.  I've heard the horror stories too, from what I've seen it seems to be mostly on really high mileage vehicles, and the clean fluid dislodges gunk that was accumulating over time.  When I changed mine at 100k, I did 5 drain and refills as opposed to having a shop flush it.  Each drain and refill got about 4 quarts at a time, and I did them every 6.5k miles at the same time I did oil changes.  I think the largest factor is using a quality fluid.  I've used Valvoline high mileage in the past on other trucks.  This time I got a decent deal on some Amsoil and used that.

So, what was wrong with them after the fluid change?

Some where valve body issues.

Some where torque converter and valve body.

Some where valve body issues.

Some where torque converter and valve body.

Clogged? Worn out?

I just dont see a tranny getting fresh fluid and then not being able to move.

Follow the owners manual recommendations. 

Make sure you use the correct fluid.