Bizarre Suspension Situation

There has been a lot of discussion regarding suspension with the Betas.  I often wondered why so many people were complaining about the suspension being too soft and needing to go up on the recommended rates when mine was very firm and controlled and also plush and was better the faster I went.

I thought I had springs that were one rate softer than stock, since I ordered them through BYOB for a 155-170lb rider with gear from the calculator for the 2013 2 strokes.

It turns out the fork and spring calculators American Beta had up for 2 strokes were actually the 4 stroke calculators.  The result, I ordered springs that in theory were way too stiff for me.

My fork springs are .46 which for the 4 stroke are rated for 155-174.    For the 2 stroke they are rated for 211 - 230lbs!

My shock spring is a 5.0 which for the 4 stroke was 155-169.  For the 2 stroke they are rated for 170-184lbs!

So I am actually up one rate on the shock, not down one rate.

I am up 3 rates! on the fork from the 2 stroke recommendations.

Funny thing is, this combo rocks for me.  I have always like a stiffer fork and lighter shock.  I can't imagine going to lighter springs and I am very close to the race suspension settings, a little stiffer for the shock, a little softer for the fork.

All this time I was thinking, damn I must be one slow mofo since  I am no where near taxing the suspension and felt this was the best stock suspension I have ever ridden and frankly better than almost all the tuned suspension(for me) I have ridden on other bikes.  I guess now I have my answer.

American Beta knew of the spring rate mix up for the two stroke BYOB and made the correction for each BYOB 2t before it went out. At least that is what happened to two of our very early 2t BYOBs. I got emails stating the mixup and that the appropriate correction was made.

American Beta knew of the spring rate mix up for the two stroke BYOB and made the correction for each BYOB 2t before it went out. At least that is what happened to two of our very early 2t BYOBs. I got emails stating the mixup and that the appropriate correction was made.

Interesting, no mention about this from my dealer, no email from AMBeta and my invoice lists the .46 and 5.0 springs?

Funny you brought this up. I too went a lot stiffer on the forks/shock. For my 520RS I'm running a .50/5.6 combo and I weigh in at 190 in street clothes. I'm no suspension guru, but I think since the bike is now riding higher in the stroke, it has a lot more travel. I also had it valved a touch on the stiff side. I'm willing to suffer a little in the slow speed rocks and single track and still be able to blaze through the whoops and hit high speed "G" outs without being pitched off the bike.

Wow, same thing happened to me. I didn't realize they were the wrong rates until after I installed them.  Seems to work pretty good now. Started with the race settings, few clicks softer on the fork and its pretty good.  Might revalve at some point but their working decent for now.

165 with gear,

current rates- Fork .46

Shock 5.0

Edited by igc