'99 kx125 frame paint

Hi all

I picked up a '99 125 a good while ago and pulled it apart to restore it. I figured while I had everything pulled apart that I would repaint the frame. I wan't it to be near exactly as it was when it rolled out of the factory.

I cannot for the life of me find the colour code or even a place where I can buy the paint from.

The closest I have found is "Kawasaki Lime Green" but no references to websites that I could buy it from, etc.

Has anyone any idea of the colour code, the exact name (as I'm probably wrong) or a website where I can buy it.   All the shops around where I live only have a generalised green that looks nothing like whats currently on the frame

Cheers!

I also have a 99 125.  Last winter, I sandblasted the frame then took my new plastics to my local automotive paint store. The paint guys put a little color matching machine on the plastic where it magically spits out the paint recipe. I sprayed it myself in the garage, and the colors matched perfectly. I put the plastic in that pic to see how they matched, but the camera flash buggered the shot a bit.

I know this doesn't give you the color code, but it's a possible solution.http://820.jpg

There's a seller on Ebay UK with KX frame paint.  I'd be curious if it's an exact match though.

I had paint matched up at an autobody paint shop.  It was a bit of a nightmare but I finally got the exact match.  There's no "paint code" since we tinted the color many times.  If you can't spray, I would suggest bringing your frame to an auto body shop.  Leave a section of original paint on the frame for them to match up to, but you might want to strip the rest of the frame yourself.  I used a single stage urethane (no clear coat) which is probably what they used originally.  Clear coat will build up and just doesn't look right, IMO.  It cost me about $200US including the spray gun equipment do finish mine.

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_5349.jpg

Edited by Jeekinz

That's a great looking '94.

Thats a clean looking bike you've got there :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies.  I think I'm going to have to resort to taking it to a body shop and seeing if they can match the colour.

I couldn't believe how hard it was to get the correct colour of the frame. When I tore it down I expected to be able to find the colour in an hour at the most online :smirk:

Ah sure. Maybe I'll appreciate the bike a hell of a lot more if I put more work into it haha

Thanks!

I also have a 99 125.  Last winter, I sandblasted the frame then took my new plastics to my local automotive paint store. The paint guys put a little color matching machine on the plastic where it magically spits out the paint recipe. I sprayed it myself in the garage, and the colors matched perfectly. I put the plastic in that pic to see how they matched, but the camera flash buggered the shot a bit.

I know this doesn't give you the color code, but it's a possible solution.http://

There's a seller on Ebay UK with KX frame paint.  I'd be curious if it's an exact match though.

I had paint matched up at an autobody paint shop.  It was a bit of a nightmare but I finally got the exact match.  There's no "paint code" since we tinted the color many times.  If you can't spray, I would suggest bringing your frame to an auto body shop.  Leave a section of original paint on the frame for them to match up to, but you might want to strip the rest of the frame yourself.  I used a single stage urethane (no clear coat) which is probably what they used originally.  Clear coat will build up and just doesn't look right, IMO.  It cost me about $200US including the spray gun equipment do finish mine.

Isn't AMC (American Motors Corporation) Big Bad Green pretty much the same color as Kawi green?  I seem to remember an article (maybe Jeekinz posted the link to it a while back?) that stated Kawasaki was "heavily influenced" ;)  by AMC Big Bad Green in their choice of a color for their bikes.  Not sure you'd be able to find that at an auto paint supply store in Ireland, but the color code has to be out there somewhere (AMC enthusiast web sites?).  Even if it's not an exact match, it sure does look pretty close (check Google Images).

EDIT: I think Ford had a similar color.  I'm not sure if one is a better match than the other.

Edited by Jim_B

3915223358_8ebbd63cb7_z.jpg

When the guy at the paint shop put the scanner on my NOS handlebars it came up Go Jolly green from Chrysler.  Go Jolly is more of a Monster Energy green.

We started with the Go Jolly and tinted from there. If someone in the USA wants to get some paint made up and provide a code, I can supply the handlebars and a 3x4" sample I saved.

Go Jolly on the left, NOS bars on right.

IMG_0574.jpg

Nice looking KX, I'm going out to get some Kawi Green right now.