plates pulled in CA?

it's been a long time since i posted/followed the forum and even longer since i've plated a bike in ca.  thinking about picking up an already ca plated bike.  this would be a 4t with a compliant vin (no 3 or c in 8th position).  i'm concerned that when i go to the dmv to register and transfer ownership, the plate would be pulled.  is this a realistic possibility?  in addition to the vin, should i be looking for some other compliance requirements?

i've seen dates of 02/2004 being a "cutoff".  should i look for a bike plated or manufactured before this date?

i'm not looking to plate a bike.  my goal is to buy a plated bike and not have the street reg pulled.

thanks.

Technically without a manufacturer placed EPA sticker stating the bike was built for "ON HIGHWAY" use... no plate is the law.  But many people still run them through the DMV successfully...  so it just depends on how the clerk reads the rule book when you are standing at the window.  Good luck.

• Like 1

If the pink slip says 'MC', 'RS' or 'RT' on it, you plate will not be pulled.

Sometimes it also will say 'TR' or 'EN' but that's rare, and usually found with dual registration bikes (green sticker + plate).

Once the proper form has been filled out and signed by a LEO, the plate is permanent, and is reflected with the designation on the pink.

If it says anything else, there is no way to know........ and there are a few other designations...:

AT

AP

DB

EN

3W

GC

MK

MY

MR

MX

MS

RC

RS

SM

TR

MC
Edited by Krannie

Technically without a manufacturer placed EPA sticker stating the bike was built for "ON HIGHWAY" use... no plate is the law.  But many people still run them through the DMV successfully...  so it just depends on how the clerk reads the rule book when you are standing at the window.  Good luck.

Well, to put it another way, it was "legal in the eyes of the DMV" to plate a green sticker bike as long as the paperwork was in the process before 01/31/2004.

Yes... you are one of the few guys that really gets this stuff Ken...  that was the final grace period when the DMV would NOT verify EPA stickers.  But that date is meaningless now.  You can't legally plate a bike now that was built before 2004 without a factory ON ROAD EPA sticker.  It was a deadline to get into the DMV to plate without an EPA sticker verification... not a model year issue.

But since DMV employees so often misunderstand or just don't care to follow the law... many guys are still slipping them through.  It's a stupid law so I hope everyone gets a plate if they try.  ?

• Like 1

Sometimes it also will say 'TR' or 'EN' but that's rare, and usually found with dual registration bikes (green sticker + plate).

Once the proper form has been filled out and signed by a LEO, the plate is permanent, and is reflected with the designation on the pink.

If it says anything else, there is no way to know........ and there are a few other designations...:

AT

AP

DB

EN

3W

GC

MK

MY

MR

MX

MS

RC

RS

SM

TR

MC

thanks for this info.  on the title where is this code displayed?  is it the "body type mode"? 

All I can say is if it plated already, DMV is not the place to go if you have AAA. Only in-state bikes can be registered through AAA. So, if the bike has an out-of-state regi, keep clear. If you don't have AAA just for DMV service and Road Side Assistance, you may have  a DMV problem with anything plated after 01/31/2004.

AT

AP

DB

EN

3W

GC

MK

MY

MR

MX

MS

RC

RS

SM

TR

MC

On the bikes that I am aware of, all of them say "EN" except the one that came directly from the Dealership and that one says "MC" and I have never had an issue...