Sign in to follow this  

nikasil an XR cylinder?

i am getting contradicting info from some friends, so thought i would ask here....

for anyone who doesn't know, nikasil is a nickel plating the put on steel cylinder sleeves in an aluminum head starting in the 90's...

i have a 2001 XR400 ready for a bore and some people are adamantly telling me it needs to go to millenium or powerseal for the best nikasil service... others like me think its just a steel sleeve and thats it...

problem is i can't find ANY info on anyone nikasiling an XR... is it part of our reliable, archaic, technology that we don't use this service??? just bore and go???

would it be valuable to actually go ahead and nikasil anyway???

I could be wrong, but I believe it's a steel liner in that cylinder

If so it can be bored or resleeved, but you can also have a steel liner coated, which on that bike may make the bore last for 100 yrs

My understanding is Nikasil is a plating process for aluminum bores, very common for automobile and motorcycle engines with aluminum blocks or cylinders.

The steel liner in your XR had an aluminum cylinder cast around it for better heat transfer than a press in liner.

No need for plating a steel or iron bore.

Nikisil is a very hard, clear coating that is used to plate cylinder bores.  It is generally used to plate either aluminum or high wear iron bores, such as 2-strokes.  XR's aren't that hard on bores, but could be coated.  It's just VERY important to use a quality company, or the coating may start to flake off.  My best friend build race MX bikes, and has had the best luck with Millenium.  He won't use anyone else. 

You can literally seize a piston in a Nikisil bore, and as long as it doesn't flake, hone out the aluminum, and install another piston.  The stuff is that hard and durable. 

Good Luck!

Edited by n2omike

It's also common for steel liners to be coated in the auto industry ;-)

Your XR400 cylinder is fitted with a steel liner, no need to think about nikasil. Get it bored by a reliable motorcycle shop, the shop will need the new piston in order to get the proper piston-to-cylinder wall clearance.

• Like 1

Proper bore and hone and go! Forget all about coating it. Take the money and treat yourself to a new helmet. 

Completely unnecessary with XR piston shape, rpm, etc.

Edited by trooper8
  • Like 1

Proper bore and hone and go! Forget all about coating it. Take the money and treat yourself to a new helmet.  Completely unnecessary with XR piston shape, rpm, etc.

how did you know i needed a new helmet?  is my concussion showing???

• Like 1

Maybe my 6th sense considering the last ride I did was also the final ride for that helmet and ended in a big C.

It did seem like a PCS thread - post concussion syndrome [learned a new term this summer :-(   ]

how did you know i needed a new helmet? is my concussion showing???

Edited by trooper8

Ok DW Do tell me how you came up with this one ? Yes Concussion showing. BTR

my friend who convinced me to get a bike in the first place... super fast racer guy, great with suspension, jetting, etc... who is kinda a geek when it comes to most techy outdoor gear and motorcycle knowledge... rebuilt his DRZ with a Yosh motor amongst other things and yeah, now rides a 2t which i quested him if it was a 2t/4t thing... he thought since it was post 2000 it must have this modern technology... or maybe rather he knew everyone he talks to has to send their cylinders to either millenium or powerseal... no questions asked...

he was concerned about me going with a local guy...

obviously, he doesn't know XRs

my friend who convinced me to get a bike in the first place... super fast racer guy, great with suspension, jetting, etc... who is kinda a geek when it comes to most techy outdoor gear and motorcycle knowledge... rebuilt his DRZ with a Yosh motor amongst other things and yeah, now rides a 2t which i quested him if it was a 2t/4t thing... he thought since it was post 2000 it must have this modern technology... or maybe rather he knew everyone he talks to has to send their cylinders to either millenium or powerseal... no questions asked...

he was concerned about me going with a local guy...

obviously, he doesn't know XRs

obviously!  Glad U got it figured out.

Edited by Bschu

I had a YZ250- 1987 I think

The coating on the cylinder was coming off, about 1/2 was gone. I just replaced the ring and rode it. Next time I had the cylinder off only a SMALL amount of the coating was left. Again new ring - good to go. 

I rode it like that for 2 years never had any problem.

I've had 4 XR250s, never had one engine apart at all, 2 had a LOT of miles - hours.

I have no idea why anyone would even consider coating an XR cylinder.