Sign in to follow this  

HotCams Valve Clearences vs Stock Clearances - are they the same?

I have stage 2 HotCams on my 2008 YZ250F.  They were already on it when I bought it, I have about 17 hours on it since i bought it so i figure its time to check them, sure seems like it by the harder to start symptom too.  So I dont have instructions or whatever came with the hotcams.  So, do I shim/adjust my valve clearances to what it says in my bike's service manual, or do hotcams have a different clearance spec/tolerance?  I dont want to shim to my stock clearances obviously if hotcams are designed to run at a smaller or larger clearance. Thanks in advance!

Don't know about the YZ, but on my honda it told you to set it differentely, it should say on the little paper you recieved in the box, but since you don't have that, maybe check on their website?

I have Hotcams also.  The book says intake  .10 - .15mm.  Exhaust .17 - .22.  The paper that came with the hotcams said intake .15  Exhaust .20. That's within range of what the book says.   I adjusted to what Hotcams said.  

Ok, thanks! after more searching, i found a few people said this - that hotcams gives a number within stock tolerance.  I assume this is typical of all models... out of curiosity, do you also ride a YZ250F or what?

Ok, thanks! after more searching, i found a few people said this - that hotcams gives a number within stock tolerance.  I assume this is typical of all models... out of curiosity, do you also ride a YZ250F or what?

01 WR250F   CW 269cc with stage one hotcams.  Trail riding.

01 WR250F   CW 269cc with stage one hotcams.  Trail riding.

I also do trail riding with a 269cc CW kit.  I posted a thread on this, but:  Do you know where I could find a rebuild kit for the CW 269cc motor?  I found the gaskets but the only piston/rings and top end parts i found all come with the cylinder so they're way expensive...

I wish the guy put stage 1's on my bike, I'd prefer a low-mid improvement over a mid-top.  but I'm glad that at least theyre on there  :thumbsup: