Sign in to follow this  

86 xr250, rear disc brak swap

I have an XR250 with factory rear drum brakes, and thought about upgrading to disc. first thing is I need to find a wheel, with a rotor...

I don't know what wheel uses the same axle? what will fit? could I even look at getting a YZ250 wheel? if anyone knows, advice is appreciated! thank you!

Robbie.

I just did one, you will need:

Wheel with rotor from 90'-95'

Swingarm from 90'-95'

Master cylinder and brake lines from 90'-95'

Master cylinder bracket or fabricate one

Brake pedal from 90'-95' or fabricate one

Any muffler that is NOT stock from 86'-89'

Rear wheel axle from 90'-04'

I would play it safe and use parts from an XR. Also, many parts from above 95' may work, but I am not sure. I am sure that parts from 90'-95' will work.

I've done this swap too, then undid it.  
First off, this  will not improve braking in any way. 
There is way too much weight shift from rear to front (front end dive) because of the long travel suspension for the rear to be doing much actual braking.

Maximum braking is the point right before the wheel locks up and slides. 
A drum will lock the rear easily, so more braking force does nothing.

I had at least $500 in parts, so it's not a cheap proposition. Rear wheels are seldom if ever seen for less than $200 and often $300.

Don't forget the brake rotor, drive sprocket,sprocket  mounting bolts, wheel spacers, wheel bearings, bearing spacer, need to have the master cyl bracket welded to your bike, etc

I had it all done but the welding and I said "f*** this". (2 perfect shape stock 17" wheels, 1 with knob, 1 with street rubber that wouldn't be worth much had a big part of this decision)

Of course I bought new small parts and a nice wheel and new brake pedal, etc, but man it's a LOT of money for no gain.  ;)

If you do decide to do it, I've got a complete xr650L rear brake setup with new brake pedal, some of the small parts, swingarm. 

I've done this swap too, then undid it.

First off, this will not improve braking in any way.

I think it depends on your riding conditions. For me, the disc performs much better in wet and muddy trails.

• Like 1

I think it depends on your riding conditions. For me, the disc performs much better in wet and muddy trails.

Trials bikes kept using drum brakes for years after other bikes went to disks. Both for the better "touch" (feel?) and the better consistancy under wet conditions. Disk brakes lose a lot of effectiveness when they get wet. 

I'm not arguing against doing it if you just want to do it.  I understand bling factor.   :)

Edited by MindBlower

No bling, it is all about performance. All Trials bikes since the nineties use disc brakes.  Disc brakes don't suffer water fade like drum brakes.

I've done the conversion and the advantage of a disc brake is control of braking at near lockup (an asset on steep descents), and quick recovery from water.

So as Mikepagir said: "I think it depends on your riding conditions."

To the OP:  You don't need the later brake pedal, all you need is the 90-95 brake pedal pivot to operate the new master cylinder.  About $30 from Honda.   #20, Brake Pivot, 46515-KZ1-670

KZ14F1100A.gif