Sign in to follow this  

Intakes zeroed

Okay so my bike was being a bitch to start cold and I thought it was my carburator because I had to use throttle to start it... Valves did this in just 3 rides...ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378668509.040415.jpg any recommendations of what to do? This is a 09 yz250f with idk the hours I just got it this year. Should I send it and just have the intakes done? Or exhausts too? Just buy a head on eBay?

One - how many times are you pressing enter between typing? Two, have you had delwest or do you work for them...you posted it twice, you must love those.

Anyways, with those stats, I would look and see what a complete FRESH head will run ya. Then price out what you can get all the components for to do valves. Compare. I know a good shop who will do the seats with shipping both ways, cleans the head, and re-assembles it (with shimming) for about $150...far as your figuring out pricing.

I know nothing about delwest valves, but apparently they last 2x longer then stock. However, most people would say the yamaha valves last a LONG time with proper maintenance/use.

• Like 1

One - how many times are you pressing enter between typing? Two, have you had delwest or do you work for them...you posted it twice, you must love those.

Anyways, with those stats, I would look and see what a complete FRESH head will run ya. Then price out what you can get all the components for to do valves. Compare. I know a good shop who will do the seats with shipping both ways, cleans the head, and re-assembles it (with shimming) for about $150...far as your figuring out pricing.

I know nothing about delwest valves, but apparently they last 2x longer then stock. However, most people would say the yamaha valves last a LONG time with proper maintenance/use.

so I could consider taking it to my local shop? I didn't really consider that.. Usually they just tell me my bikes junk and not worth any fix and to get a 13 Ktm... Mx time seems to be a reliable place but use SS valves but also only totals 475$... It seems if I have seats cut separately then valves put in it would be more expensive then one place just doing it all at once.

Yea, i mean if u wanna go with a SS set, theyd prolly be fine, I know I have seen many a people who say they used SS, and its going stronrg. Just make sure they use the springs/other components intended for those valves etc. I just went OEM personally. Did you say you just wanted to do the intakes and leave the exhausts alone? I know when my intakes went, my exhausts still hadnt moved. But, I just figured id do it all at once...not to say you HAVE to if you need to save some money, and the ones in it are in good shape.

However, I honestly dont know if it matters if you go with SS valve set on intake, and still had OEM exhaust. Im not sure if thats allowable, so it'd be nice to see someone chime in on that (for my own knowledge too).

If they will do all the valves in SS, with the other new components to go with em + a quality seat cutting job...for $475, that doesnt sound bad. However i didnt do a ton of searchin around. I did my whole head with oem valves for bout $450 with seats cut (and shipped both ways). I found a guy sellin a set of oem valves real cheap tho...

Edited by J_WR2fitty

I do not work for Delwest their valves last that long. They are oem on KTM and Husky. Also $200 for all 5 valves springs and seals on ebay is a great price.

When I get my head back will I need to shim it at all of will it come with correct shims? Last thing I want is to get the head back then not have the right shims.

so I could consider taking it to my local shop? I didn't really consider that.. Usually they just tell me my bikes junk and not worth any fix and to get a 13 Ktm... Mx time seems to be a reliable place but use SS valves but also only totals 475$... It seems if I have seats cut separately then valves put in it would be more expensive then one place just doing it all at once.

I had MX Time cut my seats and used OEM valves. This was back in Jan. or Feb. of 2013 though. Unless he has changed his policy since then he would do it and use OEM but I had to supply the valves and send them in with my head. He would only supply SS. I won't go into why as I'm sure he will explain it to you if you talk to him. I got my valves here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YZ250F-oem-yamaha-Valve-Kit-w-springs-seals-01-09-/300956309022?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item461264d61e&vxp=mtr#ht_449wt_1161

I think they were only 320 then though. I ended up with OEM for cheaper than SS. Even at the current NCY price + 85 for seat cutting = 414.99. Just something to think about if you haven't pulled the trigger on stainless yet.

The guy at MX Time only charges $85 to cut the seats?! I might have to send mine there. Im about to send mine to a local guy and he said he'll cut them for 250 but if MX Time cuts them for that cheap i'll send my head that way