Aftermarket choke plate fix, or just remove the flapper?

I replaced my broken choke plate with a Precision Concept's  billet one.  However, a friend with an XR650 simply removed the spring and "flapper" and ran the stock plate with a "hole" in it where the flapper was.  He says the choke works fine like that.  Now I'm rebuilding a friend's XR400 topend and  carb. I'm having a hard time getting my hands on a billet plate. 

Have others used the "just remove the flapper" approach with a 400? Results? 

Thanks

Some people avoid xrsonly from reports of bad mojo. Those have small holes; I'm talking about leaving the big hole where the flapper was.

Edited by trooper8

Do All Xrs have this choke plate issue? I have a 03 xr400 please advise

Yes. With solid use and hours, these fail and the engine ingests spring pieces.

1378736000925.jpg

Do All Xrs have this choke plate issue? I have a 03 xr400 please advise

The possibility of failure is there, yes. Early models had cast plates and were susceptible to the whole plate fracturing. Later models have a stamped steel plate, but the spring for the flap has been known to fail.

The plate can be run without the flap, but the big hole effects how well the choke works, as it's still able to draw a large volume of air thru it. It's better than no choke at all tho.

I  have an new in package replacement from XR's Only. I went to a pumper carb so never used it. 

I  have an new in package replacement from XR's Only. I went to a pumper carb so never used it. 

How much?

to

I finally got a headlight but would still like to have the carb adaptor if it is still for sale.

$20 shipped (domestic)

$20 shipped (domestic)

Ok, I'll take it.