Sign in to follow this  

COOLING ASSISTANCE NEEDED

Hello all, I was just riding and about 45 mins in my bike went full rev and the throttle did nothing, I got some STS (stuck throttle syndrome!! Haha), and when I wheeled the bike back to the truck I notices the top of the radiators were hot & the bottoms felt like I never drove the bike, and the cylinder was really hot, I think it overheated to the point it revved hard, some friends suggested there may be blockage in my cooling system, I was thinking I could maybe drain & dissasemble the cooling system and try to clean it and make sure everythings clear (the previous owner drowned the bike & let it sit, so idk how the silicone hoses may be) any other suggestions? I bruised 3 ribs and my breats plate I don't want there to be a next time because it could end worsley haha

You could have a blockage but keep in mind the flow of coolant through the engine.  Water travels out the top of the cylinder head into the tops of both of the radiators.  As the hot water cools is sinks to the bottom with the rest of the cooler water which feeds into the water pump and then back into the engine for another round.  Sounds like you have an air leak somewhere if the engine just raced away without touching the throttle.

You could have a blockage but keep in mind the flow of coolant through the engine. Water travels out the top of the cylinder head into the tops of both of the radiators. As the hot water cools is sinks to the bottom with the rest of the cooler water which feeds into the water pump and then back into the engine for another round. Sounds like you have an air leak somewhere if the engine just raced away without touching the throttle.

Also a possibility, ill have to check for air leaks, if I had a leak wouldn't it have ran away sooner? Or had an erratic idle or run lean? It didn't show any other signs except running away? And thank you for the help!

Also a possibility, ill have to check for air leaks, if I had a leak wouldn't it have ran away sooner? Or had an erratic idle or run lean? It didn't show any other signs except running away? And thank you for the help!

Hard to say but if it JUST started leaking air somewhere then maybe.  If it is leaking air then yes it would be running lean.  Does the bike run away immediately when you start it up now? Another thing to check is to make sure the slide in the carb is moving freely.  Maybe it got jammed partially open or something?

Hard to say but if it JUST started leaking air somewhere then maybe. If it is leaking air then yes it would be running lean. Does the bike run away immediately when you start it up now? Another thing to check is to make sure the slide in the carb is moving freely. Maybe it got jammed partially open or something?

Nope, I started it up again, it revved fine, didn't take off, it didn't seem any leaner, ill check again soon, and the throttle closes slow-er then it should but it doesn't stick open

Could it be a water pump issue? If the water pump is not flowing water through the engine properly, the water in the bottom of the radiators has no where to go so it sits in the radiators and cools down. The water in the engine gets hot and that heat travels up the radiator hoses and causes the tops of the radiators to heat up.

.... and the throttle closes slow-er then it should but it doesn't stick open

This is a problem in itself that should be fixed. When you let go of the throttle, you want the carburetor slide to snap back down as quickly as possible. If you know it is closing slower than it should, that means something is binding or rubbing somewhere.

Check:

Grip and grip tube from binding on handlebar

the throttle pulley on the handlebar.

Throttle cable and the routing of it. Does the bike rev up if you move the handlebar from lock to lock?

Slide return spring in the carburetor.

Could it be a water pump issue? If the water pump is not flowing water through the engine properly, the water in the bottom of the radiators has no where to go so it sits in the radiators and cools down. The water in the engine gets hot and that heat travels up the radiator hoses and causes the tops of the radiators to heat up.

This is a problem in itself that should be fixed. When you let go of the throttle, you want the carburetor slide to snap back down as quickly as possible. If you know it is closing slower than it should, that means something is binding or rubbing somewhere.

Check:

Grip and grip tube from binding on handlebar

the throttle pulley on the handlebar.

Throttle cable and the routing of it. Does the bike rev up if you move the handlebar from lock to lock?

Slide return spring in the carburetor.

I've looked into it, throttle cable and everythings fine, its just the PO crunched the throttle tube, so the smashed up end binds, I haven't gotten around to an aluminum tube, its on the winter list

I haven't gotten around to an aluminum tube, its on the winter list

I dont like the aluminum tubes. Yes, the aluminum tube might twist smoother than the plastic tubes, but one good crash and it will bend it hard enough to crimp it onto the handlebar hard enough where you cannot twist the throttle at all.  I had this happen to me a long time ago and pushing a bike through the forest for miles, back to the truck, is an absolute horrible experience. I would rather the end of the plastic tube crack and still be able to twist the throttle.

I dont like the aluminum tubes. Yes, the aluminum tube might twist smoother than the plastic tubes, but one good crash and it will bend it hard enough to crimp it onto the handlebar hard enough where you cannot twist the throttle at all. I had this happen to me a long time ago and pushing a bike through the forest for miles, back to the truck, is an absolute horrible experience. I would rather the end of the plastic tube crack and still be able to twist the throttle.

That makes sense but its an mx only bike, no woods trails for miles