Sign in to follow this  

Tight steering

My wifes bike has sat in ther shop a couple Weeks without being touched.... Was going to move it and the steering felt froze up. Got it moving just feels like it has some resistance....what should I do?

If it feels notchy when swinging the front end from side to side, just replace the steering head bearings. Otherwise, inspect the bearings and grease or replace as necessary. 

If it feels notchy when swinging the front end from side to side, just replace the steering head bearings. Otherwise, inspect the bearings and grease or replace as necessary.

This.

Had the same deal after washing a new-to-me 150r.

Pull the triple clamps and inspect the bearings. If the races are only lightly scored, clean and re-pack the bearings with a good waterproof grease (I use Bel-Ray). You can buy a little time by repacking, but get a new set on order, because they will need to be replaced.

Figured thats what I was gonna have to do.....thanks for the replies

You have a basic steering dampener! Some people like this and tighten the bearings a little more to reduce head shake while at hi speeds. We did this when we raced MX on several bikes.

so if you want even more resistance on your " basic stabilizer "  do you just add a little salt water to the head tube?

LOL

Because of it's "basic" model design you only have three adjustments, loose, tight or no turn for the highways! Your other option is to upgrade to the adjustable model but that's $500. I guess you get  what you pay for??

Edited by weantright