buying a plated ca bike...will the plate be pulled?

it's been a long time since i posted/followed the forum and even longer since i've plated a bike in ca.  thinking about picking up an already ca plated bike.  this would be a 4t with a compliant vin (no 3 or c in 8th position).  i'm concerned that when i go to the dmv to register and transfer ownership, the plate would be pulled.  is this a realistic possibility?  in addition to the vin, should i be looking for some other compliance requirements?

i've seen dates of 02/2004 being a "cutoff".  should i look for a bike plated or manufactured before this date?

i'm not looking to plate a bike.  my goal is to buy a plated bike and not have the street reg pulled.

thanks.

Join AAA if you are not already a member, and take your docs and checkbook to your local AAA office to transfer ownership.  Avoiding just a single trip to the DMV is worth the annual AAA membership fee.

Get some free road maps while you are there.  The AAA maps of Baja are as good as any of the other printed maps.

Even if you don't do as I recommend above, leave the bike at home and just take the pink to the DMV.  They won't cause you any trouble if the registration hasn't expired.

If it has expired, the previous owner should make it current before you hand him any money.

• Like 1

Join AAA if you are not already a member, and take your docs and checkbook to your local AAA office to transfer ownership.  Avoiding just a single trip to the DMV is worth the annual AAA membership fee.

Get some free road maps while you are there.  The AAA maps of Baja are as good as any of the other printed maps.

Even if you don't do as I recommend above, leave the bike at home and just take the pink to the DMV.  They won't cause you any trouble if the registration hasn't expired.

If it has expired, the previous owner should make it current before you hand him any money.

thanks.  i am a member of AAA.  i'll plan to visit my local branch.  the other advice is good too, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

If it was plated prior to 2004 your good.  If it does not have the emmisions sticker and the VIN indicates it's a dirtbike and it was plated after 2004 your not so good, the DMV will take the plate and probably impound the bike.

Explain to me why anyone lives in Cali.............
  • Like 1

how can they impound a bike for trying to register it ?

If the bike was registered after 2004 and it is a dirtbike then the bike was originally registered fraudulently, which is a crime in California.  So when you go to register the bike and the DMV discovers the bike was fraudulently registered after 2004 it is impounded as evidence while they investigate how it was registered.  This falls under the California Vehicle code section 22651(o)(1) or 22655(a).  That does not mean you get in trouble because you were unaware of the crime when you purchased it, however it means you can potentually get the bike taken away from you and you will not get it back until the case is over.  Bottom line is you paid out money and now you have nothing

Edited by baldy110