Sign in to follow this  

Used Drz 400 needs top end, worth it?

I really want a drz400 and have been watching Craigslist for 2 months now with very little luck.

The other day a guy in my area posted an ad for a 2007 drz400s with 10k miles on it for $2000. It needs a new top end (abuse? What causes a ruined top end?), which is bad news, except that I plan on installing a big bore kit in any Drz I get (unless already done).

Is even considering this bike worth it? At what price would you buy it? $1500? $1000?

1200 bucks tops. It's basically a parts bike. Needs a top end could mean it dropped a valve, destroyed the seats gouged the cylinder, bent the rod, ect. Used heads can be expensive and can be unusable.

• Like 1

This could be a risky buy..........

what is the seller saying about the reason why he believes it needs a top end.??..did the engine have a failure or are we talking "needs a piston and rings"

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I sent him an email inquiring about the top end, just waiting for a response.

When/if I go to check out the bike is there any sign I should look for that would indicate the bike needs MORE than a new top end?

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I sent him an email inquiring about the top end, just waiting for a response.

When/if I go to check out the bike is there any sign I should look for that would indicate the bike needs MORE than a new top end?

Of course....listen for any weird noises coming from the engine,,,, :lol: 

Check  oil and coolant colour, chain and sprocket condition , steering head and swing arm for free play..

action of front forks and rear suspension, oil leaks, general appearance.......your checks are limited by that fact that the bike is a non runner ...

Of course....listen for any weird noises coming from the engine,,,, :lol: 

Check  oil and coolant colour, chain and sprocket condition , steering head and swing arm for free play..

action of front forks and rear suspension, oil leaks, general appearance.......your checks are limited by that fact that the bike is a non runner ...

May I add M8 ?

Remove the oil drain bolt and check for any " Chernobyl " type activity

• Like 1

May I add M8 ?

Remove the oil drain bolt and check for any " Chernobyl " type activity

Of course you may....Thank you .. :p . :lol: 

lots of metal on the sump magnet could be a potential tell-tale sign of engine destruction...... :smashpc:

Though...the seller may not agree to you doing this...

Of course you may....Thank you .. :p . :lol:

lots of metal on the sump magnet could be a potential tell-tale sign of engine destruction...... :smashpc:

Though...the seller may not agree to you doing this...

it's a $800 bike if it won't start at all. sooo, you bring it home and find maybe it blew a head gasket 3 months ago. great, all the bearings are shot. all of them. the engine is junk without an expensive rebuild. 

wheels - $3-400

frame plastics - $2-300

suspension - $2-300

worth around $800 by my math. $2000 is a laugh in his face price. 

• Like 1

Parts bike, used retail on the parts quickly sold is less then $800 or so.... As such that is all I would offer....knowing I can make that much back if I needed to part the bike.. and that assumes the rest of the bike is in good condition and has resale value. 

OK thanks a lot for the info guys, he won't respond to any of my emails asking for more info on the bike, making me think he isn't telling everything.

In the elegant words of backyard hack: PASS.

• Like 1