Sign in to follow this  

02 cr80 smoking like crazy

So I was riding my cr80 that was running great and stopped and turned the bike off and when I went to start it it wouldn't start now it only starts with the choke and smokes like crazy. If I go up the street the whole street is covered in smoke. Does anyone know what that could be???

Clean the carb, the jets and passages (with compressor) but make sure you don't tighten the jets to tight, they get brittle. Check reeds as well. If they are chipped and frayed , that can cause the symptoms you were describing, the excess smoke even when warmed up etc. If the reeds look ok, then I would replace the crank seal (the oil side apparently)

Those things could happen like mid riding? Bike was riding fine then when I go to turn it back on this starts happening?

Those things could happen like mid riding? Bike was riding fine then when I go to turn it back on this starts happening?

Yep, it happens when riding. Parts dont wear out from sitting.

• Like 1

Like the bike was running great while we were in the woods and we stopped for like 7 min for a break on the side of the trail And then when it started it started smoking like crazy and spitting 2 stroke oil everywhere near the header

Oh, left the gas on when you were sitting there? If you go start it now, does it smoke the same?

spitting spoog eh...right crank seal.

drain your gear oil and see if their is the same amount you put in.

if it's white smoke you have a coolant leak into the cylinder\head somewhere, if it's a thick blue smoke you are burning transmission oil.

you should also be able to smell the difference in the exhaust if you are burning something you shouldn't be burning.