Sign in to follow this  

How often do you replace your muffler packing

I bought a CR250R this past April and it had a brand new silencer on it when I got it.  In the last two weeks or so I have notice that the bike seems quite a bit louder than normal.  It seems odd to me that I would already need new packing since the silencer is brand new.  I have run the same packing in my 4-strokes for a couple seasons and never noticed such a drastic change in sound.  Do 2-strokes just burn through packing quicker than 4-strokes?

I bought a CR250R this past April and it had a brand new silencer on it when I got it. In the last two weeks or so I have notice that the bike seems quite a bit louder than normal. It seems odd to me that I would already need new packing since the silencer is brand new. I have run the same packing in my 4-strokes for a couple seasons and never noticed such a drastic change in sound. Do 2-strokes just burn through packing quicker than 4-strokes?

I do mine every 10 hours it's cheap and makes a noticeable difference in the way the bike runs

I never understood the logic that dirty muffler packing makes you lose power or changes things except make it louder. the exhaust goes through the stinger and some sound is absorbed by the packing. but the exhaust doesn't go through the packing, so it being clogged with oil should only have an effect of making it louder, nothing else.

I do mine every 10 hours it's cheap and makes a noticeable difference in the way the bike runs

I never understood the logic that dirty muffler packing makes you lose power or changes things except make it louder. the exhaust goes through the stinger and some sound is absorbed by the packing. but the exhaust doesn't go through the packing, so it being clogged with oil should only have an effect of making it louder, nothing else.

Because the packing being blown or melted will cause turbulence resulting in exhaust restriction

the packing wont make it preform any better or worse.
that being said, i change mine every 50ish hours to keep my bike in the happy medium of loud but quite.

Worn packing always effects power. 2 strokes more so than 4 strokes.  If it didn't matter, than we would have chamberd mufflers from flow master on our bikes.

I replace mine once a month during riding season. Pink insulation! works perfectly

Worn packing always effects power. 2 strokes more so than 4 strokes.  If it didn't matter, than we would have chamberd mufflers from flow master on our bikes.

I replace mine once a month during riding season. Pink insulation! works perfectly

does it last more than what you buy on the MC store

Actually, 4-strokes are the ones who have a problem with blown or clogged packing. 2 strokes will just get louder.

the packing wont make it preform any better or worse.

that being said, i change mine every 50ish hours to keep my bike in the happy medium of loud but quite.

I change it yearly (roughly 40 hours), unless I race an ISDE, I make sure I have fresh packing for sound check.

I CHANGE 20H.

the last time i change was 18hours. the HGS silencer has 3 layers of wrapped packing rag/mat. the first inner is soaked. the 2nd middle layer is partially but good. the third outer most layer has no oil or anything onther than it looks new.

do you think i should have ran teh silencer a couple more hours say 25 hour mark?

i trail ride at 28-30:1 with super rich jetting with not much load up.

I changed mine, the previous packing was pretty wet, looked rough and used up, that being said the brand new packing did virtually nothing too how loud it was.  I'm pretty sure most of the noise comes out of the front chamber, and that is not something you can really make quieter.  Still NOTHING compared to Super SPORTZ exhaust 450 4T bikes and Quads, or 800cc+ Quads with ELIMINATORZ power BOMBZ exhaust, sound like russian turboprop airplanes landing at a dirt strip.

I change it yearly (roughly 40 hours), unless I race an ISDE, I make sure I have fresh packing for sound check.

40 hours to me is like...1/4 of a year.

I CHANGE 20H.

the last time i change was 18hours. the HGS silencer has 3 layers of wrapped packing rag/mat. the first inner is soaked. the 2nd middle layer is partially but good. the third outer most layer has no oil or anything onther than it looks new.

do you think i should have ran teh silencer a couple more hours say 25 hour mark?

i trail ride at 28-30:1 with super rich jetting with not much load up.

what do you guys think of my description? you think i couldve gotten more from the packing?

does it last more than what you buy on the MC store

Last I heard of it it wasnrt rated for the heat of an exhaust & breaks down quickly, I don't know if its true or not but ill go right ahead and not risk it and use the stuff made for our silencers