Sign in to follow this  

Wheelie practice/issues

Hey,

Was just out riding this evening, trying to practice some wheelies ( I can't do them for $hit)

Trying to get the front wheel off the ground, I can barely do it in 2nd, and I got it up decently in 1st one time.

Gearing is 15-41, 06 SM

Also, my clutch pull seems really hard... I can't even pull it in with 2 fingers.

Any advice?

Technique and timing.

Put the weight back on the seat, roll off the throttle, then quickly give a good rip of the throttle and tug the bars at the same time.

I have seen guys do 4th gear power wheelies on a completly stock bike so it is all about the technique.

The best advise for wheelies is to  wear  your gear cover your back brake and practice , practice and when you get done with that practice

the rule of thumb for gearing is the larger the rear sprocket the easier it is do wheelies BUT  that hurts your top end 

one more thing , watch some you tube videos  on wheelies to get a idea on different techniques  

Edited by suzuki sm nut 123
  • Like 1

Totally a technique issue. You are your own worst enemy if you feel your bike does not have the power.... you are leaning forward because it is scary!   Its all about leaning back, body weight to the rear of the bike, roll off the throttle and then twist it open fast in 2nd or 3rd gear.  Pull up a little on the handle bars, dont yank the bars hard, crazy like or you will start turning, COVER THE REAR BRAKE and use it if you are going to loop it.  Find a parking lot that is vacant, like an industrial park on the weekend.  have fun!

Oh yeah, be careful. Cops HATE wheelies

You need to learn the point of balance, and thats real scary( or real painful/expensive if you go too far!).

Get  some strong mates, you sit on bike(engine off and in 1st gear), get ya mates to lift the front higher and higher till

bike reaches point of balance with you in anormal seated position.

Now you know how high the wheel needs to be to balance. You'll find its pretty high and you've probably been panicking way before

you needed to in the past. Remember if it gets too high, just dab the rear brake. Simple really!

• Like 1

Dragging the rear brake at first will make you (me) feel more in control as you get to the balance point

Lots of practice. I'm to chicken to reach the balance point. Can power wheelie 4th gear though. The bounce method works good for 3rd and 4th.

Nope.  I pretty much only use the clutch.  Works a billion times better than the chop/ twist method. 

I would remove the cable from the clutch lever and see if the lever is binding.  If it is not, then I would remove the cable from the clutch side.  If it slides free in the cable then there is something else going on with your clutch.  I can pull in the clutch w/ two fingers really easy, one if I squeeze hard. 

How is your grip strength?  I mess around with a captains of crush gripper, started when I was competitive shooting they work pretty good to increase your grip strength.

• Like 1

One of the first things I did when I got my DRZ earlier this summer was replace the clutch cable because it broke. The PO had no free-play in it. I know the cable slides freely, I think its a really hard pull at the clutch itself.

Nope.  I pretty much only use the clutch.  Works a billion times better than the chop/ twist method. 

I would remove the cable from the clutch lever and see if the lever is binding.  If it is not, then I would remove the cable from the clutch side.  If it slides free in the cable then there is something else going on with your clutch.  I can pull in the clutch w/ two fingers really easy, one if I squeeze hard. 

How is your grip strength?  I mess around with a captains of crush gripper, started when I was competitive shooting they work pretty good to increase your grip strength.

You need to learn the point of balance, and thats real scary( or real painful/expensive if you go too far!).

Get some strong mates, you sit on bike(engine off and in 1st gear), get ya mates to lift the front higher and higher till

bike reaches point of balance with you in anormal seated position.

Now you know how high the wheel needs to be to balance. You'll find its pretty high and you've probably been panicking way before

you needed to in the past. Remember if it gets too high, just dab the rear brake. Simple really!

II like this idea!!! I wouldnt call it a terrified panic but i definitely let off before the balance point lol i have hit it a few times though and it feels sweet! Not as terrifying as one might think once you hit the balance point its not like OMG the bike is going over it is actually rather easy to control it with the throttle ONCE you are in that balance point.... speaking of im off early time to go ride and practice a few myself...

One of the first things I did when I got my DRZ earlier this summer was replace the clutch cable because it broke. The PO had no free-play in it. I know the cable slides freely, I think its a really hard pull at the clutch itself.

For me it only takes maybe a half to 3/4" of clutch movement with a good twist of the wrist to lift the front. It's all timing. Watch and listen to a few YouTube wheelie how too's.

Armenian has a Rhok sponsored one that is pretty good.

I really only use the clutch to wheelie, I have a hard time getting it to come up in anything above 2nd using any method, but every now and then I can get one up in 3rd with the clutch and some bouncing. I like dragging the brake a tiny bit when I know I'm going to be trying for the balance point, I'm still a little scared after I looped and wrecked myself a few months ago.

Is it a 4 stroke 125? That is also a wheelie machine... I used to stand up on mine in the grass in first gear and then bounce the front end and give a crack on the throttle and the front end comes right up. The crf 50 is great with street tires and taller bars for learning

• Like 1