Sign in to follow this  

Whats up with the Aprilia 450/550's?

There's a local shop here by my house with extremely deep discounts on 09's. I mean these guys are begging us to take them home. I wanted to get an open thumper next year for DS' ing and adventure riding. Theres a couple 09 450's/550's just been sitting there for years now in this shop. Nobody will touch them. I don't know anything about these bikes other than they are sexy as hell and most likely have zero after market accessories for them(just a guess but...)?

What is the name of the shop so we can determine the depth of the discount ourselves? 

Google "Aprilia orange sealant" to determine how much of a risk you are willing to assume. Something about the orange sealant failing and causing catastrophic engine failure. Lots of "two for one" deals on the "parts" bikes.

Ridemotorsports.com

New clearnace section. There all kinds of decent deals in there for several brands

Friend of mine was lokking at one and the sales guy was almost begging him to take a bike home offering all kinds of extras-lol

Edited by vsekvsek

they are not built to be used on a regular basis, they are super-exotic, horsepower monsters.

from what I've read they suffer from bad quality control all over and sub-par quality on parts like seals, gaskets and wiring. electrical problems are common, wires burning out and breaking, seals and gaskets blowing and taking the whole engine with them.

the EFI is supposed to be iffy too, sometimes they start, most of the time they don't, the starters tend to fail too.

aprilia launched the bike as a low-maintenance, high horsepower bike you could use as a daily commuter if you wanted to, truth turned out to be anything but this, they are high-maintenance and prone to self-destructing, I know people who work at bikeshops, and whenever an 550 comes in, it's always because of a catastrophic failure.

buy it if you want a challenge, and be sure to post regular updates...

What is the name of the shop so we can determine the depth of the discount ourselves? 

Google "Aprilia orange sealant" to determine how much of a risk you are willing to assume. Something about the orange sealant failing and causing catastrophic engine failure. Lots of "two for one" deals on the "parts" bikes.

That was only for the 07 bikes. 08 and newer have the new head gaskets that don't fail like the 07s.

they are not built to be used on a regular basis, they are super-exotic, horsepower monsters.

from what I've read they suffer from bad quality control all over and sub-par quality on parts like seals, gaskets and wiring. electrical problems are common, wires burning out and breaking, seals and gaskets blowing and taking the whole engine with them.

the EFI is supposed to be iffy too, sometimes they start, most of the time they don't, the starters tend to fail too.

aprilia launched the bike as a low-maintenance, high horsepower bike you could use as a daily commuter if you wanted to, truth turned out to be anything but this, they are high-maintenance and prone to self-destructing, I know people who work at bikeshops, and whenever an 550 comes in, it's always because of a catastrophic failure.

buy it if you want a challenge, and be sure to post regular updates...

Thanks. That scares me away from it for good-lol

well, they did improve over the years, quality Control became a little better, but remained sub-par Japanese brands, expensive and hard to get parts for and difficult to work on too.

on the flip side of Things, if you want something that just dominates all other supermotos on the market, then the 550 is the bike for you, you just need to maintain it like a full-blown racebike with frequent tear-downs and inspections.

The orange sealant was a sign of the problematic bikes , not the sealant alone .

I have a 2008 RXV550 that I bought in February 2009. It is probably the most fun and viciously powerful bike I've ever owned. An absolute monster when the throttle is open and still able to be putt and lug on tight, technical singletrack. I've only done regular maintenance and not very religiously. My Aprilia has been as reliable as any bike I've ever owned yet with more smiles per mile delivered on each tank of gas. I've never needed to buy engine parts, but whatever I have bought was less expensive than any Japanese brand bike's equivalent parts. Every part I've had to order arrived at the dealership in days. There was one part that had to come from Italy, but even that didn't take very long.

If I was able to put another bike in my garage I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2008+ RXV450 or MXV450. 

Don't believe everything people write. Nothing is "Gospel" if it starts with; I READ THIS....... BullCrap! There is a hell of a lot of fiction out there, and a few bad bikes should not be the "Word"...........

Mine (2008 RXV550) broke down a lot less than my 2008 Honda CRF450x....In fact it's still running killer, with nothing but oil changes when my Honda needed a complete top-end.....

So don't go smokin, whats not good for the brain.... Believing in back-seat reviews from the uninformed, is silly......

Don't believe everything people write. Nothing is "Gospel" if it starts with; I READ THIS....... BullCrap! There is a hell of a lot of fiction out there, and a few bad bikes should not be the "Word"...........

Mine (2008 RXV550) broke down a lot less than my 2008 Honda CRF450x....In fact it's still running killer, with nothing but oil changes when my Honda needed a complete top-end.....

So don't go smokin, whats not good for the brain.... Believing in back-seat reviews from the uninformed, is silly......

first of all, don't get personally offended because you feel someone is talking Down on Your bike of Choice, you did not engineer, manufacture and assemble Your 550, so no reason you should be offended by criticism directed at aprilia...

second of all, there is absolutely no denying that the RXV\SXVs have been suffering from bad quality Control, inferior quality on components and some designflaws, it's not just a "Word" on the street, it's fact, sure you can get a 550 that was built well and suffers no problems at all, but the fact is that they are an exception, some of them suffer minor issues, some suffer bigger issues and some of them suffer major issues, good for you that Your bike have been solid, but You don't know EVERY RXV\SXV out there...

and Third of all, nobody can deny that the aprilias are absolute monsters on a track, they where built as purebred racebikes.

here is a 20 page thread about common problems on these bikes.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?118816-Common-problems-issues-With-RXV-SXV-450-550

Edited by Norway

Talk about getting your panties in a bunch......

With proper research you will find mostly on the 2006/2007 bikes there was 2 major problems, that if not addressed created a host of issues.

1. Case sealant. The wrong specification of engine case sealant (the engine case splits down the middle and if the sealant failed it created a host of issues) created transmisssion oil in the engine/engine oil in the transmission/ coolant in the engine/ coolant in the transmission/ creating overheating/ crankshaft failures/ a host of engine issues, OK? with the upgraded sealant this problem was a thing of the past. Nothing to do with poor manufacturing, just stupid spec for sealant.

2. Proper or Safe mapping of the fuel injection; The wrong specification/tune created; Many times a bike that the Bozo dealers were not smart enough or cared enough to tune properly creating/ Extremely poor starting resulting in; burned up starter motors/ burned up Sprag clutch assemblies/ batteries/electrical harnesses

I like the bikes a lot, and by the way just sold it after enjoying it for 4 years, only to buy a bike with a lower seat height, otherwise it would be in my garage for years to come....

By the way my Honda was a peice of sh*t compared to my Aprilia.............. Different strokes.......... OK?

Talk about getting your panties in a bunch......

With proper research you will find mostly on the 2006/2007 bikes there was 2 major problems, that if not addressed created a host of issues.

1. Case sealant. The wrong specification of engine case sealant (the engine case splits down the middle and if the sealant failed it created a host of issues) created transmisssion oil in the engine/engine oil in the transmission/ coolant in the engine/ coolant in the transmission/ creating overheating/ crankshaft failures/ a host of engine issues, OK? with the upgraded sealant this problem was a thing of the past. Nothing to do with poor manufacturing, just stupid spec for sealant.

2. Proper or Safe mapping of the fuel injection; The wrong specification/tune created; Many times a bike that the Bozo dealers were not smart enough or cared enough to tune properly creating/ Extremely poor starting resulting in; burned up starter motors/ burned up Sprag clutch assemblies/ batteries/electrical harnesses

I like the bikes a lot, and by the way just sold it after enjoying it for 4 years, only to buy a bike with a lower seat height, otherwise it would be in my garage for years to come....

By the way my Honda was a peice of sh*t compared to my Aprilia.............. Different strokes.......... OK?

I don't care what brand you prefer or what brand you dislike, Your Choice, you can hate hondas 24\7 for all I care, but defending something because you like a brand based on Your experience With one bike is stupid.

and a case sealant that leads to catastrophic failure isn't bad quality Control in Your opinion?... since when is it ok to release a bike on the Public market that needs a case-splitting before you can ride it? in most cases when the engines blew, aprilia refused cover the cost even though they knew and admitted the sealant was the cause, they said that this was a racebike and not under warranty, stuff like this should be expected to happen....

Edited by Norway

Heaven forbid if the case sealant goes and sprays oil and coolant all over the rear tire while you are riding.  I've heard of this happening .  I wanted one as well but got the berg fs 570 instead.  I believe I made the right decision.

I don't care what brand you prefer or what brand you dislike, Your Choice, you can hate hondas 24\7 for all I care, but defending something because you like a brand based on Your experience With one bike is stupid.

and a case sealant that leads to catastrophic failure isn't bad quality Control in Your opinion?... since when is it ok to release a bike on the Public market that needs a case-splitting before you can ride it? in most cases when the engines blew, aprilia refused cover the cost even though they knew and admitted the sealant was the cause, they said that this was a racebike and not under warranty, stuff like this should be expected to happen....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he has owned one and you have not. So bashing something because you don't like a brand based on your non-experience with no bike is what is stupid.

I think it has been pretty well documented that the 2008+ bikes have not suffered from the issues that the earlier ones had.

2011 KTM 350SXF's had a recall which required the cases to be split to replace a bearing. Are you going to go over to the KTM board and tell everyone not to buy a KTM 5+ years later because of this? Does this equate to all KTM's having poor quality control too?

The OP was asking about 09 450/550s. What part of the 09 Aprilias are substandard quality control? Does he need to worry about the case sealant issue, or why are you blathering on about it in this thread using it as a reason to steer clear of one of these bikes?

• Like 1

What he said.

Two OWNERS have been on the board giving reviews from actual experience. BOTH have had trouble free operation and you talk from internet legend and ignorance. To the OP, take it from those that have owned the bikes, They're good. When properly set up, by dealerships that know what they're doing and maintained by owners that are willing to learn their intricacies, they're as trouble free as any brand motorcycle.

I own a '10 SXV 550. They're definitely maintenance hogs but when you hit 10k to 12k rpm in a corner you tend to forget the bad stuff. These bikes are a blast to ride. You just gotta take the good with the bad.

• Like 1

I rode the 450 in 07 baja 500 and the 550 in 08 Parker 250, Laughlin us hare scrambles and Vegas to Reno with no mechanical or bike issues. The 550 went all of 08 with basic maintenance and a clutch ... Both bikes are ridiculously fast and fun to ride. Most people add their 2 cents and never thrown a leg over one. The moment you crack the throttle your smile will be ear to ear.

• Like 3