Here we go! my 416 build...

Just tore it apart this afternoon and here's what were looking at....

Fortunately i recently got the shack back to myself... my shop is quasi outdoors so we are working in the kitchen instead!!!

IMG_3529.JPG

cylinder head... yuck! can't believe that spark plug worked just fine!!

IMG_3530.JPG

cylinder wall look surprisingly good shape, carbon/oil deposits on very upper lip, boring to the 87mm piston...

IMG_3532.JPG IMG_3531.JPG

and the piston... rings looked good...

IMG_3533.JPG

so now what to do??? from the top down...

1) what you think about stock cam on the 416.... trying to save some money... could always upgrade later...

2) new crf timing chain... stock tensioner ok??

3) new valves, stem seals, and guides, and i suppose springs too

4) bore for wiseco 87mm piston, 416cc

5) some heavy duty clutch and raptor lever

running a uncorked uni filter stock carb b/c mikuni pumper slide keeps binding open on me... xrs only header with gash in midpipe and exhaust, hammered, broke, and never repacked... i might be going back to the stock header and can since it isn't broken... front suspension self serviced and re-valved... rear never serviced, next on the list...

When I pulled my head recently, I had some carbon build-up on the piston, head, and valves after only 2,000 miles.  It was about half as thick as your photos show.  I talked to my cousin about this and he said it is caused by pump gas.  Every engine he has opened had carbon with the exception of motors that ran race gas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...