Sign in to follow this  

Falling back in love with your Z

Any of you guys ever go through phases where commuting/riding your Z becomes second nature? You don't really think about why you're riding one, you just do. Then somewhere out of the blue, you get those moments; those moments when you do that "one thing" that makes you remember why you fell in love with your Z in the first place.

For me it's when I'm riding on the asphalt and I suddenly see a dirt turn off, trail or no trail, and I venture into the unknown freeing myself from the "grid". Or when I'm lane splittin' through tight, bumper to bumper traffic, literally ducking/dodging mirrors, when cruisers/sportys can't make it through. Or when it's people crank their neck, and stare with that "WTeF, he's riding a dirtbike on the road!?", look.

Post em up gents; smoke em if you got em.

Edited by mxLr8
  • Like 6

Any of you guys ever go through phases where commuting/riding your Z becomes second nature? You don't really think about why you're riding one, you just do. Then somewhere out of the blue, you get those moments; those moments when you do that "one thing" that makes you remember why you fell in love with your Z in the first place.

For me it's when I'm riding on the asphalt and I suddenly see a dirt turn off, trail or no trail, and I venture into the unknown freeing myself from the "grid". Or when I'm lane splittin' through tight, bumper to bumper traffic, literally ducking/dodging mirrors, when cruisers/sportys can't make it through. Or when it's people crank their neck, and stare with that "WTeF, he's riding a dirtbike on the road!?", look.

Post em up gents; smoke em if you got em.

After the 434 addition I took the bike on a maiden voyage up over the hill to a lake. Never been that way before so was a little tentative, and almost right from the get go there's this enormous, almost straight up hill full of ruts, a downed tree about 1/3 up that fell and broke and left about a 9" space to navigate thru, then huge ruts and rocks. I laughed, started to turn around and then said, hey dude, you just got a big bore.....what the f**k are you thinking, let's hit it!! So, yeh, when I finally made it thru the forest, over the lava flow, and thru a bunch of nasty single track, I come out on this precipice overlooking the lake and I'm at maybe 8,200ft or so.....and like you say, it was one of those moments.....I swore then that I'd have to be in a wheelchair not to ride this bike.....it's totally the SHIIIITS!!!!!!  Thanks for starting this thread!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

LaborDay-Paulina013_zpse37fc920.jpg

Edited by Signman606
  • Like 8

Sorry but no love involved here. :awww: .lol...I save the love for the ladies.. :wub:  :banana:

But I will grant you the DRZ does a fine job for what I ask of it....of course there is nothing quite like the freedom and satisfaction that the Dz'er offers... :D

• Like 3

After the 434 addition I took the bike on a maiden voyage up over the hill to a lake. Never been that way before so was a little tentative, and almost right from the get go there's this enormous, almost straight up hill full of ruts, a downed tree about 1/3 up that fell and broke and left about a 9" space to navigate thru, then huge ruts and rocks. I laughed, started to turn around and then said, hey dude, you just got a big bore.....what the f**k are you thinking, let's hit it!! So, yeh, when I finally made it thru the forest, over the lava flow, and thru a bunch of nasty single track, I come out on this precipice overlooking the lake and I'm at maybe 8,200ft or so.....and like you say, it was one of those moments.....I swore then that I'd have to be in a wheelchair not to ride this bike.....it's totally the SHIIIITS!!!!!!  Thanks for starting this thread!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice work Mate....... :worthy:

• Like 1

Brother, that is one epic post! Very inspiring. Can't wait to hear everyone else's! Nice bike BTW.

• Like 2

Yeah, "this moment" is every time I ride the darn thing.

The dizzer does everything I ask of it and then some.

It let's me terrorize sportbikes in the twisties and hang with my buddies on their fancy dirt bikes.

All that, at a fraction of the cost and incredibly simple ownership effort.

I am at a point where I hardly ride any of my other bikes anymore.

It's not that I don't like them anymore, but more the fact that I can hammer the shit out of the dizzer and she just doesn't care.

Lovely little bike.

• Like 1

What's up with your side plastics? Did you trim them down? I really like how it looks with the exhaust exposed more.

Yeh, more or less took a straight edge and followed the curve of the fender. I think it looks better, but that's just me. At first I was going to put a decal on and I struggled with the last one, so it was all sort of predicated on "easy" and taking out that hump, but then decided I liked it plain better. I did put carbon fiber on the front part and I think it matches up with the black on the tank and seat and really anchors the look................ :rolleyes:

It's bulletproof enough, agile enough, and cheap enough to commute on in winter, through the perfect white powder snow, the tire studs clicking and scratching across the asphalt, and you're the only two-wheeled anything for miles and miles.

• Like 2

I have been on some charity rides for very good purposes and for the most part great people. But you always have the Harley D-bags(NOT ALL OF THEM) who try to bust balls because I ride the "Z". Around here every cyclist waves to each which is cool and decent but most don't wave to me. :cry:  I can see them wave to a group of HD's in front of me then when I come to pass they just have this smirk..... So I wonder, what do I have to do to be cool like them? Buy a Harley?

And then you have the ones who, slightly older, look at it and reminisce about what they have done or would love to do again with this machine.

It's those guys who reminisce that make me love mine cause they get it! I am not saying your old if you own a Harley but lets face it. Most of these guys, NOT ALL, have lost their wild side. But I don't judge!  Nope not me! :rolleyes: I take it and rip through my uncles fields or go visit my parents and when I leave. I take the short cut through some old quad trails that drop me off to some country roads. I love it!

Having said that, I am buying a CBR 600rr cause a lot of my friends have crotch rockets and I love those too. Most of these guys are buying Dual Sports or have them.

I have been on some charity rides for very good purposes and for the most part great people. But you always have the Harley D-bags(NOT ALL OF THEM) who try to bust balls because I ride the "Z". Around here every cyclist waves to each which is cool and decent but most don't wave to me. :cry: I can see them wave to a group of HD's in front of me then when I come to pass they just have this smirk..... So I wonder, what do I have to do to be cool like them? Buy a Harley?

And then you have the ones who, slightly older, look at it and reminisce about what they have done or would love to do again with this machine.

It's those guys who reminisce that make me love mine cause they get it! I am not saying your old if you own a Harley but lets face it. Most of these guys, NOT ALL, have lost their wild side. But I don't judge! Nope not me! :rolleyes: I take it and rip through my uncles fields or go visit my parents and when I leave. I take the short cut through some old quad trails that drop me off to some country roads. I love it!

Having said that, I am buying a CBR 600rr cause a lot of my friends have crotch rockets and I love those too. Most of these guys are buying Dual Sports or have them.

hear what your saying about the Harley riders never hardly wave at me either but I've got a 600rr and they're not they are cracked up to be gets boring cramed up on a bike but anyway enjoy

I always like the confused look I get from harley riders out in the parking garage when I'm putting on my TLD speed pants over my jeans, stocking footed, followed by my MX boots.  I really like their shocked look when I start it up with the Yosh TRC and just let it idle while putting on my helmet.  They always seem to find the need to leave before I do and roar the shit out of their straight piped harley as they go by.

Its fun to pull power wheelies when they are following in traffic and hear them roar up behind you and almost not be able to stop in time without locking up their rear brake (seems to be a front brake issue or fear of using front brake with harley riders?).

ANYWAY, the main reason I love my DRZ is that it gives me that same feeling I had as a kid on my '74 YZ80, stupid shit eatin grin, ear to ear, every day commuting.  People must think I've lost it when they see me smilin' for no apparent reason.

Edited by subeng
  • Like 2

Last time I had work done last year was just before the wrt was available. I was kind of down on it.

Threw the dirt wheels on for a couple weeks this summer then a 16t with SM wheels. I remember why I like it so much. Just wishing I had mountains

Even though it is slow and heavy and does not compare to my gixxer 1000, the DRZ alwasy puts a smile on my face.

I also like that the cops could care less about it while with my sport bike they loved to pull me over for no reason.

• Like 1

Don't know about you guys but I never lost the love for my drz. I mean it's boring riding down a long highway but man when you hit the curves or trails its just like how could you have stopped loving your z

• Like 1

I've done that one a few times!  Great trail!  Good old #48!

• Like 1

It's bulletproof enough, agile enough, and cheap enough to commute on in winter, through the perfect white powder snow, the tire studs clicking and scratching across the asphalt, and you're the only two-wheeled anything for miles and miles.

Hey Anthon, what kind of studs are you using? Is it really ridible on asphalt? I was thinking about trying it that way since I bought it, but was always a bit afraid..

I always like the confused look I get from harley riders out in the parking garage when I'm putting on my TLD speed pants over my jeans, stocking footed, followed by my MX boots.  I really like their shocked look when I start it up with the Yosh TRC and just let it idle while putting on my helmet.  They always seem to find the need to leave before I do and roar the shit out of their straight piped harley as they go by.

Its fun to pull power wheelies when they are following in traffic and hear them roar up behind you and almost not be able to stop in time without locking up their rear brake (seems to be a front brake issue or fear of using front brake with harley riders?).

ANYWAY, the main reason I love my DRZ is that it gives me that same feeling I had a kid on my '74 YZ80, stupid shit eatin grin ear to ear every day commuting.  People must think I've lost it when they see me smilin' for no apparent reason.

This is me !  I get the biggest smile riding my Dr. Zed around the city. Im glad the helmet covers my smile cause I would probablly get all sorts if crazy looks. :ride:

I also learned on a honda 80 goin down in the dirt. Man... the first time I hit WOT on that thing I was an addict for life. Dirt bikes are just plain FUN. I agree it can be a love/hate thing though I got my drzsm used and with all sorts of issues. The DRZ can be pretty forgiving mechanically and in the road, just dont strip your acorn nuts on the oil filter cover! :lol: :lol: :lol::cry: