Sign in to follow this  

Too much power

Ive searched this topic and couldnt find anything about it. So i recently switched from a 2001 rm250 to a 2006 kx250 and i've been riding the kx all summer now. I was wonder what can i do to tone down the hit of the powerband my rm was very smooth and didnt rip your arms off.(it was manageable) I was researching on the internet and found that if u retard the timing that it will tone it down a bit. Is this true? Any suggestions? I would also like to not break the bank. Thanks

A cheap way would be to get a steahly flywheel weight. It's about $110 but sounds worth it to me. I've got one and love it. You could also get a fmf gnarly but that's a little more expensive. In my opinion those are the 2 "best bang for your buck" mods for toning a bike down or turning it into a woods machine

A cheap way would be to get a steahly flywheel weight. It's about $110 but sounds worth it to me. I've got one and love it. You could also get a fmf gnarly but that's a little more expensive. In my opinion those are the 2 "best bang for your buck" mods for toning a bike down or turning it into a woods machine

I do have a 9oz flywheel weight I dont know the brand and i love it. But i have a pro curcuit platinum. Is that an equvalent to the gnarly? Im not familiar with PC im an fmf guy

I believe pro circuit just has one pipe, which is supposed to be more of a top end pipe if I'm correct. Fmf has 2, the top end/race track pipe (fatty), and the gnarly, which smooths out the power an gives you some more low end power. I had a fatty on my bike (98 kx 250) and my dad has a gnarly on his (01 kx 250) and although I preferred my bike, his pipe is a lot better for woods riding/smoothing out the power, I would trade if I could find someone. I chose to go back to the stock pipe. If you have a stock pipe I'd suggest Putting it on before your next ride and spend a few hours doing the type of riding you look and see if it's better than your current pro circuit. I didn't think I'd prefer stock over the fmf fatty but I definitely do, I'd like to get a gnarly when it's in the funds

Shim the powervalve governor, retard the timing, install a Gnarly (or Platinum). Thats what i did to my 07. Its smoother with a little more bottom. The lack of bottom makes the midrange hit hard. The 05 has more compression due to the head and seems to have more bottom than the 06-07 and a little smoother powerband.

Shim the powervalve governor, retard the timing, install a Gnarly (or Platinum). Thats what i did to my 07. Its smoother with a little more bottom. The lack of bottom makes the midrange hit hard. The 05 has more compression due to the head and seems to have more bottom than the 06-07 and a little smoother powerband.

Is the powervalve shim somethin i can buy through rmatv or motosport? Or is there a company that machines a part?

Gear up.  13/48 or 14/51.  That's one of the reasons I sold my 05.  It was great on trails or huge tracks, but any miscue with the throttle and you were on your ass.

How skilled are you at working on bikes? You could do the first gear swap from a 94-98, pretty cheap but alot of work, that would make first gear much more usable in the woods

pick up a 125 and you'll have a blast. The 250 will definately work you out and have all the power you want. But a 125 is just plain fun to ride.

• Like 1

Gear up. 13/48 or 14/51. That's one of the reasons I sold my 05. It was great on trails or huge tracks, but any miscue with the throttle and you were on your ass.

I think i have 13/50 but im not sure about the front

pick up a 125 and you'll have a blast. The 250 will definately work you out and have all the power you want. But a 125 is just plain fun to ride.

I love 125s and used to have one but i like just being able to chill out on a ride other than 4 hours of powerband haha

• Like 1

you can try putting a thicker head gasket on to bring down the compresion.

• Like 1

Thank you for bringing this up! I was gonna ask that. Where can i find a thicker headgasket? Would this increase or decrease the chances of detonation? ( figure it would decrease do to lower compression.) how much $ are they? Would i have to get new h

Edited by YouOttaLookOut62

My experience is gaskets only cost about $10, I don't imagine a thicker one being too much more expensive. I also looked for one and couldn't find one. Strange. Always seems to me like the inexpensive but useful parts are always the hardest to find, yet everyone and their mother sells $250 pipes. How heavy is the flywheel weight your using?

How heavy is the flywheel weight your using?

Im pretty sure its a 9oz. My understanding about flywheel weights is that it keeps centrifugal force on the motor so it can chug without stalling as well as adding a little low end torque. Am i right?

The head is o-ring seal. You can try the optional head. Search the threads for that discussion.

Edited by Jeekinz