Spring Rates

So I just had my suspension rebuilt and revalved for my 2001 CR125. This bike was known to have harsh/stiff KYB's from the factory. My suspension is working great after the job, except its way too stiff for me now with the clickers on the softest setting possible. I get bad head shake on bumps coming out of corners, when when I'm on the pipe it doesn't glide over bumps like it should. Also if I take a hard impact it doesn't really soak it up, but my wrists and ankles do.

Anyways, stock spring rates which are on the bike are .43 for the forks and 4.8 for the shock. Racetech recommends for my weight/skill .396 for the forks and 4.578 for the rear shock. I understand how suspension works, but other than that I'm clueless. I am wondering how far off these numbers really are, and if the suspension would be significantly softer by getting new springs. I just have a gut feeling its something to do with the valving, and the fact these were stiff forks straight from the factory. I know the springs will help for sure, but I am not interested in spending the money unless it will make the suspension work just right. I know there is no yes/no answer to this question, there are just too many factors, but maybe a better way of phrasing it would be what lb rider are the stock springs set up for? I weigh 138 normal so if I knew the stock weight I would have a sense of how far off I am.

You should not have to re pay for anything. Sounds like a bad revalve. Take it back and let them know its not working like it should and that the bike hurts to ride.

Not an option. This guy won't stand behind his work because he has 1,000,000 excuses why its not his fault but my bikes, spring rate being one of them. I dealt with a local suspension shop here in michigan while I was working in california this summer. It was a nightmare and I got ripped off in the end. Thats actually the reason I didn't get springs for my weight, I told them up front I wanted them, but after they forced me into $300-$400 worth of bullshit mechanical work it didn't need I couldn't afford the springs nor wanted to give them any more money.

But I will say this, the suspension was complete junk, but he said all of my shock, linkage, and swingarm bearings were shot and they were. I replaced all of them and it actually works great, but the stiffness is just way too harsh for me. I just didn't know if new springs would help solve that.

I'm not an expert but it sounds like a valving issue. I am sure you have ridden other people's bikes with stock suspension (most ppl don't bother having it modified) and it is probably not as rough a ride as yours sounds to be. Maybe you want to tackle it yourself. I can't see stock spring rates being as harsh as you say they are, that's why I think its a valving issue.

I'm not an expert but it sounds like a valving issue. I am sure you have ridden other people's bikes with stock suspension (most ppl don't bother having it modified) and it is probably not as rough a ride as yours sounds to be. Maybe you want to tackle it yourself. I can't see stock spring rates being as harsh as you say they are, that's why I think its a valving issue.

I agree because theres no way they sprung this bike stock for a rider much heavier than me. I wish I knew how to deal with valving, I'm just not very confident in taking apart my suspension because I never have before and don't know anyone who can help me.

There are many videos on the internet to assist you with such a task. I understand your hesitation but it is the cheapest option available, you can try purchasing lighter springs but I doubt that will fix the problem. Other than attempting the task yourself, you will have to pay someone else or open your compression clickers all the way which might help a bit.

There are many videos on the internet to assist you with such a task. I understand your hesitation but it is the cheapest option available, you can try purchasing lighter springs but I doubt that will fix the problem. Other than attempting the task yourself, you will have to pay someone else or open your compression clickers all the way which might help a bit.

Compression clickers already all the way out on forks/shock. :(

I might get ballsy one week and go for it. I have a few mentors who help me when it comes to the rest of the bike, but even all those guys say "don't look at me" when it comes to suspension lol. I'm sure its doable, but I feel like I would be lacking some of the proper tools and I am VERY prone to making mistakes with this kind of shit. I only make it once, but it normally requires damaging something and having to buy a new something, hence only making the mistake that one time haha. I'm going to &%$#@! with the rebound clickers next time at the track, see if I can get it to work a little better, but I doubt that has much to do with it.