Sign in to follow this  

Oil cooler

Anyone seen one of these or has anyone actually attached one and how do you like it? Looks a little flimsy and kind of out there in the way. One good clip on the thing on a narrow trail and seems like you could be in a world of hurt with engine oil spewing everywhere. Thoughts????

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Steins808
  • Like 1

I like it too, except for the purple fittings.  Red or Black would be better for me.  Mounting bracket looks a little flimsy if it is made from aluminium, but titanium or stainless would be an easy fab.

I found one link, but it is in Japan.  http://japan.webike.net/products/21226810.html

Edited by dkappelm
  • Like 1

Unecessary. Not like converting an enduro/mx to supermoto for street, to increase the oil capacity.

But it adds to the overall "bling" factor ....   :p

but your are correct in that I would not want it on a dirt bike but on a super moto .... yes ...  :prof:

• Like 1

Saw it on one of those smj project build threads yesterday - a KTM engine that had the oil capacity increased by half a liter by adding an oil cooler. They have very little oil - why oil changes are so frequent. But the CRF-L engine has a lot of oil. - and a long oil change interval. 

• Like 3

Well, I was more thinking of running a lot cooler engine. Lots of times way back in the thick brush I rarely get past 2nd gear on real technical narrow trails and steep hills. Sometimes I feel the heat coming off the radiator fan and warming my pant leg and made me wonder whether I was running the bike to long in a low gear already warm humid weather. Thought this might help but was worried of possibly catching the oil outgoing/return tubes on trees or twigs that stick out on the trail.

• Like 1

Well, I was more thinking of running a lot cooler engine. Lots of times way back in the thick brush I rarely get past 2nd gear on real technical narrow trails and steep hills. Sometimes I feel the heat coming off the radiator fan and warming my pant leg and made me wonder whether I was running the bike to long in a low gear already warm humid weather. Thought this might help but was worried of possibly catching the oil outgoing/return tubes on trees or twigs that stick out on the trail.

Howzit,

The heat your feeling on your leg is the cooling system doing it's job- Don't freak.

For the kinda weather you have in Hawaii I'd switch to 15w/50 on oil, and run Engine ice for coolant.

Used to trail ride and once in a while an observed trials on Oahu- motors get plenty hot there.

BTW ol' Kaaawa boy, were ya at??

I was a scrawny little bugga back then..

wall_zpsa2d9bdad.jpg

Edited by turnbuckle
  • Like 3

well ... since you flipped us off .... here is a little video for ya  ...  :p ....  :lol:

Nice vid, real cute gal!

Your NOT gonna believe this, but I went to the same HS a few years after the boys.. Stephanie Love (Mike's sister) was a close friend and still lived a few miles away from me till she passed..

Good times, lots of memories..

• Like 3

I haven't checked this out but you could potentially mount a second fan on the radiator for a lot less money.

• Like 2

It seems like a cool setup, it all boils down to the type of riding you do and how tough it would be on the bike. Generally speaking, anything can happen to a bike, but looking at probabilities--most wont!

Bottom line, set up your bike for the best of the worlds you are in, for the longest life span and reliability. If something is gonna get ya, then it will! Hell, snagging an oil or hose line can be just as bad as a flat in the right situation!

But many guys spend their money on more foolish things than an oil cooler, which to me benefits the engine. 

Take your best shot with your wallet!

• Like 2

Yea Howzit........means how is it going? A little it of pigeon English here in Hawaii. I live in Mililani and there are a lot of very technical trail rides back by the old grave yard. I mean some of these trails been here for 30+ years. I've seen guys riding em' when i was young but never actually went exploring till now. Great place to ride trails and really really sucks when you break down. Haha.

Hi, go to Twin Air site, they have oil coolers.

The TA is a nice little set up but couldnt find a price, definitely worth consideration!!!

i ride highway and backroads...  my radiator blows a lot of warm air at me... i think it has come on everytime i ride... i don't remember if it was coming on last year in 36 degree weather at night, but.... lol  

so i guess the real question is, is this needed? offroad i can see where this would not help unless hidden a little better..  but road use, summer traffic, 75mph for an hour or more, etc...  

Edited by eyeopenher
  • Like 1