Sign in to follow this  

Best 250 2 stroke for the woods?

Hey guys,

I've been racing hare scramble on my ktm 125 and I'm thinking about getting a 250 to make it easier to lug and go faster. I just don't know whats a better way to go the ktm trail bikes like the 250 xc or xc-w or a Japanese 250 and set it up for the woods (hand guards, a bit shorter gearing, proper jetting and possibly a bigger gas tank) All my friends have 250s and I love em just not sure what way to go.

Thanks a lot

hey dude i got a gas gas ec 250 which is a beast in the bush (woods), i shortened the gearing a bit with a 14t front and 50t rear but with 6 gears its no problem other than that its pretty stock for the time being. i have ridden a few different enduro bike like ktm exc 250 and 300 husky wr 250 and 360 but by far the gas gas is the nicer bike and love it.

hope this helps dude

Edited by crazygasgas

The one with your ass on top of it. :thumbsup:

KTM more money. Better platform to start with.

hey dude i got a gas gas ec 250 which is a beast in the bush (woods), i shortened the gearing a bit with a 14t front and 50t rear but with 6 gears its no problem other than that its pretty stock for the time being. i have ridden a few different enduro bike like ktm exc 250 and 300 husky wr 250 and 360 but by far the gas gas is the nicer bike and love it.

hope this helps dude

I've never seen a gas gas around here (upstate new York) but ill check it out if I see one...Thanks!

The one with your ass on top of it. :thumbsup:

KTM more money. Better platform to start with.

I'm used to the $$$ of a KTM.. just raced Unadilla gncc yesterday and broke the clutch master cylinder and ended up dnf half an hour in! $250 for that one. I'm going to keep my eyes out for a nice ktm 250 I think. Thanks!

I'm used to the $$$ of a KTM.. just raced Unadilla gncc yesterday and broke the clutch master cylinder and ended up dnf half an hour in! $250 for that one. I'm going to keep my eyes out for a nice ktm 250 I think. Thanks!

get a YZ250!!

Can't really go wrong with a YZ250, but I've read a bunch about some years of the KX250 being the mx'er for the woods. I think somewhere around 1997 the bike had lots of low end and a lower first gear. 

3rd on YZ. My brother had one and him along with a few others go with those. What I'm wondering is how RM's take it. I heard they were up there with Yamaha.

My friends got an rm and he likes it. The only real problem he has with it is the TPS went bad and it actually controls the timing for everything under 1/4 throttle and the bike can in extreme cases can blow up with it unplugged. He has no problem in the woods or anywhere else and the 5th gear wheelies he can do are unreal

I've never seen a gas gas around here (upstate new York) but ill check it out if I see one...Thanks!

three seas recreation is in upstate NY if you decide to look at gas gas they carry them betas also
  • Like 1

RM's are serious weapons in the woods. Nimblest 250 you are going to find. 

I've ridden/ raced one the last 3yrs and it's still my all time favorite woods bike.

• Like 1

RM's are serious weapons in the woods. Nimblest 250 you are going to find. 

I've ridden/ raced one the last 3yrs and it's still my all time favorite woods bike.

was just riding an rm today and it hauls a$$! I can't decide between an rm and a yz. Gotta get my ktm sold first

• Like 1