Cross Fit For Enduro

Is cross fit good for enduro ? What is a good training workout for enduro and how many days a week do you work out Thanks for any help

I would think cross fit would be good for almost any sport. I just wish I had the discipline to do that workout, its pretty tough. 

Problem with crossfit is there is no progression to the program, it is effective in short cycles, but continued use will lead to overtraining and possible injuries.  You can look at it another way, Olympic lifters train their entire lives to master their lifts, crossfit involves Olympic lifts doing them as many times as you can as fast as you can with 0 training from a professional Olympic lifting coach.  Enough said on that.

Problem with crossfit is there is no progression to the program, it is effective in short cycles, but continued use will lead to overtraining and possible injuries.  You can look at it another way, Olympic lifters train their entire lives to master their lifts, crossfit involves Olympic lifts doing them as many times as you can as fast as you can with 0 training from a professional Olympic lifting coach.  Enough said on that.

Athletes do not soley use crossfit.  You do not shit about crossfit if that is your view.  

wow I struck a nerve.  I have done crossfit quite a bit.  It works fine if you use it as a phase of your exercise program.  It wont work worth a crap if that is all you do for a workout.  May I ask what your background in muscle physiology/sports science is?  

I think that cross fit does have its merits, however i tend to agree with you.  Your basically doing olympic lifts, which when performed correctly are extremely beneficial and good for you, but when not performed correctly can be extremely effective in strength training.  but when you do anything that requires form until the point of exhaustion there will be a break down of form which can lead to injury and bad habits.  not to mention the fact that it's pretty much various forms of circuit training.  in my opinion if you know the lifting forms for clean and jerk and snatch, your just as well off to buy a bar bell, bumper plates, and a couple of different sized kettle bells and work out at home and save the membership fees overtime

I feel direction has changed and over all "quality" off Crossfit has diminished over the years. Everybody can become an expert with little, proper training. The basis of the lifts are there but as stated, form is often lost. Great workout for overall strength and conditioning but to progress, other disciplines need to be properly addressed. I used to be a member of a box... My fire house gym does just fine.

I've been doing Crossfit 3-4 times a week for about a year now.  It has been great for my stamina on a dirt bike.  Before that I did various weight training or circuit training for the last 20 years.

It's interesting that I read so many negative things about Crossfit but none of them match the experience I've had.  The coaches preach quality of movement over quantity.  No one is allowed to even do a squat until they can demonstrate good form.  I've broken a lot of bad habits that I have picked up over the years.  There is someone constantly watching my movements and if my form turns sloppy from fatigue, it will not go unnoticed.  I hear all this talk of injuries but the only thing I've seen is a sore muscle or two.

One of its principles is to stay away from routines, so I get skeptical when someone generalizes about Crossfit.

You guys are right on the over priced memberships. I have been doing crossfit for two years. The first year in florida it was $60 a month, not too bad. Then I moved to Colorado and the price was $80, so I tried working out at home and at the gym doing the crossfit WOD's, it just wasnt the same so I joined the $80 a month gym. Now I am moving to Georgia in a few weeks and the prices are crazy, some of them are over $200 a month, not sure what Im going to do.....

To the haters on crossfit, I use it as my sole work and it has worked out awesome. Way better than the fitness I recieved from the military, or my couple years of lifting weights and running.

Ok everyone listen up. I'm majoring in kinesiology. And your all correct and all incorrect.. man, I could write a monster article on this but ill keep it short.. First of all, start with nutrition..you can have the best training regiment on the planet and without the correct fuel, you will sputter, pop, and die out.. Now that that is said. Moving onto physical aspects.. Crossfit is very beneficial due to its high intensity levels and aim for consistancy and learning how to dig deep within last few reps or stations. Weight lifting also is effective during the strength training season. Now, for mx your best weight training will come from functional training. This means any weight training that uses the motions of pulling, pushing, squating, lunging, jumping, or holding in place.. working byceps my friends is not a functional workout. Curls for the girls. Keep it that way. Finally, cardio is also key all by itself. You have a broad cardio area as well as a focused cardio region. You can never do too much cardio, ok.. running is great but not for the knees. Stick with cycling, spinning, or swimming. Then there is circuit training the incorporates functionality, strength train, and cardio. Finally, remember to start and finish with static stretching and some ballistic stretching. Core is another topic for another day my friends

Ok everyone listen up. I'm majoring in kinesiology. And your all correct and all incorrect.. man, I could write a monster article on this but ill keep it short.. First of all, start with nutrition..you can have the best training regiment on the planet and without the correct fuel, you will sputter, pop, and die out.. Now that that is said. Moving onto physical aspects.. Crossfit is very beneficial due to its high intensity levels and aim for consistancy and learning how to dig deep within last few reps or stations. Weight lifting also is effective during the strength training season. Now, for mx your best weight training will come from functional training. This means any weight training that uses the motions of pulling, pushing, squating, lunging, jumping, or holding in place.. working byceps my friends is not a functional workout. Curls for the girls. Keep it that way. Finally, cardio is also key all by itself. You have a broad cardio area as well as a focused cardio region. You can never do too much cardio, ok.. running is great but not for the knees. Stick with cycling, spinning, or swimming. Then there is circuit training the incorporates functionality, strength train, and cardio. Finally, remember to start and finish with static stretching and some ballistic stretching. Core is another topic for another day my friends

Okay - I did listen but I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. I don't think you're going to get an argument about nutrition, and it is a part of the Crossfit program. Curls are not part of the Crossfit work out; however, pulling, pushing, squatting, lunging, jumping and holding in place are all part of the program. Cardio and Core work make up about 50% of the work outs.

So I guess your post is an argument in favor of Crossfit. Please don't write a monster article.

Okay - I did listen but I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. I don't think you're going to get an argument about nutrition, and it is a part of the Crossfit program. Curls are not part of the Crossfit work out; however, pulling, pushing, squatting, lunging, jumping and holding in place are all part of the program. Cardio and Core work make up about 50% of the work outs.

So I guess your post is an argument in favor of Crossfit. Please don't write a monster article.

I tried my absolute best to keep it short. And on a side note, I'm in favor of all types of training ethics. Crossfit, weights, resistance, cardio, circuits, TRX, and plyometrics.

So anyone willing to post excersizes that are a part of their workout for enduro/xcross/hare scrambles?

So anyone willing to post excersizes that are a part of their workout for enduro/xcross/hare scrambles?

I will post pictures of differently techniques. All depends what your goals, weakness, and strengths are..I love to train and help people out

I will post pictures of differently techniques. All depends what your goals, weakness, and strengths are..I love to train and help people out

Weaknesses.....picking the bike up after wrecking over 20 times when it weighs an additional 50 pounds cause it's loaded with mud. Goals, less shortness of breath, more forearm strength cause after 2 hours of riding on the clutch I could barely grip a water bottle, and probably shoulders so the front doesn't get thrown as much over rough terrain. I'm in decent shape, but I'm not in top 5 finish hare scramble shape. Then again, If I had more experience with going over logs, I wouldn't have had to pick the bike up so much....2nd lap was a lot better than the 1st! (It was my first hare scramble ever)

Weaknesses.....picking the bike up after wrecking over 20 times when it weighs an additional 50 pounds cause it's loaded with mud. Goals, less shortness of breath, more forearm strength cause after 2 hours of riding on the clutch I could barely grip a water bottle, and probably shoulders so the front doesn't get thrown as much over rough terrain. I'm in decent shape, but I'm not in top 5 finish hare scramble shape. Then again, If I had more experience with going over logs, I wouldn't have had to pick the bike up so much....2nd lap was a lot better than the 1st! (It was my first hare scramble ever)

well picking the bike up because your skill level isn't where it should be is one thing, but dropping bike because of fatigue is another. Your mental toughness becomes impaired when a lack of Oxygen to the brain developes.. so working more on cardio, keeping the heart rate at 80% of max heart rate is what you want to focus on when cycling etc. Start slowly. Work your way up to it.. progression is the goal, consistanty is essential.

As far as forearm strength, ride ride ride! Nothing will prepare you better then seat time. Don't misunderstand me.. there are forearm excercises using weight or resistance. Keeping your forearms limber is key though. Stay away from any suppliments that vasoconstriction.

Tomorrow ill take pictures for shoulder routines (if I can remember)..

Finally, on cardio days, switch up your cardio methods. Cycling is bar none, but having a broad cardio ethic is best. So some days do high intensity circuits, resting minimally to keep the heart rate up.. do rest as you see fit though.. two upper body, two lower body, two core. Moderate to high reps. 15-30 sec rests. 3 to 4 sets

well picking the bike up because your skill level isn't where it should be is one thing, but dropping bike because of fatigue is another. Your mental toughness becomes impaired when a lack of Oxygen to the brain developes.. so working more on cardio, keeping the heart rate at 80% of max heart rate is what you want to focus on when cycling etc. Start slowly. Work your way up to it.. progression is the goal, consistanty is essential.

My skill level is there in everything but logs.....I've rode for 8 years on motocross tracks and wooded areas, just always went around logs. Never expected it to be part of a race. My dream was to race motocross, but my parents wouldn't allow it after a family member was nearly killed racing years ago. Hare scrambles was the closest I could get, and I must say its much more badass in my opinion that motocross. I'm pretty good in hills, mud, sand, water crossings etc, but logs are 1 thing I need to hit hard before the next race. Thanks for all the tips man!!! I'll keep an eye on this forum!