Moving to a 250f from 125

I'm thinking of getting a bigger bike, but I am unsure of how long i should wait before getting a 250f I'm currently on a 125 and I've been riding on tracks for about one and a half years and I have been picking up much speed and technique this swasson and a couple of weeks ago I cleared my first jump. But I really want a 250f and I plan to buy one in the summer of 2014 but is it right or shall I wait? I think that I can learn good skills on a 250f too since they are not that powerful so I can lug it trough a turn and still hit a jump easily. I still need to carry some speed on it to be fast. What do you think?

You didn't mention your age or your height & weight.  When you say you cleared your first jump are you referring to a gap or just getting some air and landing it without crashing.  It sounds to me like you should stay on that 125 for a while longer.  If you don't think a 250f is that powerful then you're definitely not ready to move up.

I am 16 years old and I'm 180 cm and weigh 68 kg I mean that I jumped the whole jump to the landing and I've been on a 250f bfore and they are not that crazy fast

You didn't mention your age or your height & weight.  When you say you cleared your first jump are you referring to a gap or just getting some air and landing it without crashing.  It sounds to me like you should stay on that 125 for a while longer.  If you don't think a 250f is that powerful then you're definitely not ready to move up.

I might add that if he doesn't think a 125 (2 stroke) is powerful, then he's not ready to move up either.

Well i have a 250f and i can clear 80ft tables with it and they can easily take you out with the powerband its nothing like a two stroke... I would give it another year then buy in winter (cheaper)

based on his comments - I'm not sure he's wringing out a 125...

I have only ridden a 125 2 stroke once and its fast but compared to my 250f to jump anything big you had to pin it constantly

I didn't say my 125 isn't fast! It's crazy fast! It wheeiles all the time

Atleast once every lap I rev it until it won't make more power maybe I'm not the fastest but I know how to give it throttle

I dont understand how you guys can say that if he thinks a 125 isnt powerful he isnt ready to move up.

In reality, 125s are really not powerful at all. Sure... Im not saying they cant hurt you, but they arent fast like a 500 two stroke or a 450. Those bikes are actually FAST. If you weigh 180, your already too heavy for a 125.

Get the 250f. It is however, incrementally more powerful than the 125, however the power is different. The power doesnt come out of nowhere and turn you sideways, it comes on gradually and allows you to maintain traction while accelerating hard.

Another benefit besides fuel injection and updated suspension/frame is since a four stroke is heavier, it also is more stable. Your less likely to go down hard in the rough stuff when your going fast. They also are more stable in the air. This would mean thay they are arguably better for novice.

No I don't weigh 180 im 180 centimetres tall (sry im european) i know that you use feet in the us but I dont know my lenght in feet

I dont understand how you guys can say that if he thinks a 125 isnt powerful he isnt ready to move up.

Moving from a 125 to a 250f is based on preference, the power output is basically the same, it's just more broad on the 250f. if you want a change - go get a 250f, they're easier to ride.

As far as the '125 isnt powerful' comment - it was based on the assumption that he doesn't ride the 125 'on the pipe', which seemed valid since his comments made it sound like he was fairly new to the sport (no disrespect to OP). Anyone who rides a 125 off the pipe would think it's weak. If he does ride 'off the pipe', then going to a 250f isn't going to help anything except make it easier to ride. It's not really 'moving up' it's more like a lateral move - infact, I hate when people say 'move up' to anything in the 125 2 stroke to 450 4 stroke range, they're all full sized bikes, and for the skill level of 99% of us on ThumperTalk, the engine size means nothing - it's all about preference and what you're comfortable with. .

Edited by JRod4928

I'd keep the 125. If you're just now working on jumping, you've got a long way to go on that 125. I'd save the money and keep riding it until you can clear all the jumps, every time you get on the track. :)

125 2T or 4T? That's a huge difference right there.

you might be faster initially if you switch to a 250f, but in the long run your skills and technique will be better if you stay on the 125 longer. You want the 250f so you can ride lazy..... Stay on the 125.

Edited by Die_trying