96 KTM 300 Project?

Hey guys,

I am looking for a project to work on, and I though maybe I should get a cheap bike on craigslist and tear it down, and build it up.

Well, browsing around I found 2 different KTMs for sale.

1. 1996 KTM 300 EXC. Has title, decent condition comes with 2 sets of plastics and extra parts, Runs. $800

2. 1993 KTM 300 MXC $600 doesn't say much else other than it runs.

My question is, are either of these decent project bikes for the money? 

In the end it will be for Trails, single track stuff.

I love my yz250, I'm not looking for a replacement, just another toy to ride later on. I really don't NEED another bike  :D

Thanks guys

I'd put the money in your YZ instead of fixing up an oldie that is still going to be old when your done.

Rekluse, fresh tires (spare tires- can never have too many tires) - anything it needs at all, etc etc.  - Too many ways to spend $$ on any bike

I like having a spare bike myself, so I have 2 CRF-X's,   so that would be another thought - looking for anotherYZ of a similar model year to what you have -- maybe set one up with a trials tire and soft suspension, and the other , whatever your choice would be

I dislike having several different makes of bikes in the garage -- its nice when one goes down to be able to pull the other one out without missing a beat

I'd put the money in your YZ instead of fixing up an oldie that is still going to be old when your done.

Rekluse, fresh tires (spare tires- can never have too many tires) - anything it needs at all, etc etc.  - Too many ways to spend $$ on any bike

I like having a spare bike myself, so I have 2 CRF-X's,   so that would be another thought - looking for anotherYZ of a similar model year to what you have -- maybe set one up with a trials tire and soft suspension, and the other , whatever your choice would be

I dislike having several different makes of bikes in the garage -- its nice when one goes down to be able to pull the other one out without missing a beat

Thanks for the response   :)

Another yz250 did cross my mind. It would be nice to have a backup as I was planning on doing a good once over/rebuild on my current one. 

If the price is right on one I may just pick one up.

I guess I could spend it on gear/necessities though. I don't have a tool kit for the trails or spare tubes.

Thanks for the response :)

Another yz250 did cross my mind. It would be nice to have a backup as I was planning on doing a good once over/rebuild on my current one.

If the price is right on one I may just pick one up.

I guess I could spend it on gear/necessities though. I don't have a tool kit for the trails or spare tubes.

extra bikes are cool:ride:

So did you get any of these bikes? ..just wondering.. I'm looking for parts/info since my Dad got a decent 93 ktm 300 for $300 and is turning it into a project. It's strange to me that amazon.com actually worked better than ebay for finding parts and better shipping prices. I found plastics and seat cover. The internet is a wonderful thing. ..now to find some stainless steel spokes. I'm not sure where to check yet.. It would be nice to get some buchanan but not sure if they have the info from that far back.

So did you get any of these bikes? ..just wondering.. I'm looking for parts/info since my Dad got a decent 93 ktm 300 for $300 and is turning it into a project. It's strange to me that amazon.com actually worked better than ebay for finding parts and better shipping prices. I found plastics and seat cover. The internet is a wonderful thing. ..now to find some stainless steel spokes. I'm not sure where to check yet.. It would be nice to get some buchanan but not sure if they have the info from that far back.

I went ahead and put the money into my yz, put a rekluse, desert tank and new plastics on it.

It would be fun to work on, though!

I went ahead and put the money into my yz, put a rekluse, desert tank and new plastics on it.

It would be fun to work on, though!

I think you made a better decision but I've got to say it is cool looking for old info and checking ebay etc. These old ktm's look cool too. I like this 91 ktm 300 that we also have . It's white with a green seat and red frame and red hubs.. Seems like an ugly combination till you see the bike. The 93 we have was white but I've got some light orange new plastics this time around. When looking around there's always someone who has a story or is happy to share info on an old ride they used to have. This bike probably isn't going to end up being ridden very much at all. My Dad is an old motorhead dirt and street rider/racer. He's had heart attacks and strokes etc but this project makes him happy. He was an great rider and he was in his late 60's and still hauled ass. He was a trail cutter and made some radical long hare n hounds in the day. Now most of the areas are now where housing tracts are. I'm hoping he can get well enough to just put around on some open stuff. He had a hard decision to quit riding trail but I think there became a good chance he would be away from medical help if anything went wrong with his health. I know one thing. This bike will be awesome by the time it's done. My Dad is kind of obsessive and particular. He will definitely spend more money than the bike is worth just because he wants it right.

With a YZ there's a ton of parts, mods and easy availability and the bikes are good. It's just not that great if you don't like blue. Ya just have to look for white, black or old school yellow plastic. That's cool too. I like the old school black and yellow yamaha look.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider