Sign in to follow this  

xr250l electric start conversion

Hey,

1. I'm stuffing a CBX e start in my 92 XR250l and having some problems with deciding which is the proper left mainshaft  bearing.  The OEM bearings for a XR250l come with a seal on one side.  The attached pic shows the mainshaft bearing on my XRL with a bearing seal but the CBX bearing has no seal.  I am wondering if the CBX has no seal in order to allow lubrication to the e start gear which the XRL doesn't have.  Both crankcases have an oil passage on the bottom that allows oil return to the sump.  Any comments will be appreciated.
  2. DSCF0791.JPG
  3. Oh right, intro.  First bike was a SL100, (bought new), this was my gateway drug to a rebuild of a H1 when I was 16, (blue metalflaked the frame - hey, it was the 70's).  Coupla more bikes then a hiatus for 30 years.  Picked up a 78 CM400 5 years ago, hey this is fun!  Ended up with a XR400 and a ZRX1200.  Found the ZRX too inviting in the 200 - 250 kph range and sold it.  The XR400 was a beautiful bike but too big and heavy for me in the single track / tight woods we ride.  Picked up a xr250L but found kicking it over made me piss blood.  Hence the search for an e start conversion.  Sourced a CBX bottom end and also had my kidney out, so I can kickstart and not bleed but the estart still seemed like a good idea.  Also, still like the street so I've got two GT550's a T500 and a RZ350, (wifes bike) in various states of rebuild.  Also have the 2 strokes version of a Thumper, a 76 TS400, but I think my wife wants to upgrade from her TW200 to it.  We'll see after she kicks it over though.

Well into it, so not likely to stop now. But a 250 making you piss blood starting is just plain wrong.

You can start a properly tuned 250 with your hand. (literally).

If it's not 1st or 2nd EASY kick, you need SETUP work, not e start. (but COOL!!)  ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply,

Well, the bleeding was from a nasty kidney tumour, the kicking just brought it to my attention, hmm, I guess that XR saved my life in a way.

As far as starting, I did a bunch of mods, snorkel removal, XRR carb, 280 kit, XRR header, unifilter, so I'm still sorting that.  It started easily with the estart but I found the engine running hotter than before.  I started messing with the jetting thinking it was too lean and hadn't really got that sorted before I tore it down again to replace the leaky countershaft seal.  That's when I noticed the discrepancy in the bearings, I've got the bottom end in the frame but want to figure out whether or not I should pull off that main bearing seal before reassembly.

Here's a pic of the start of my build, well with the XR250L partially torn down and the CBX engine with the e start.

DSCF0665.JPG

The CBX250 is a late 80's and the 250L is a 92. I'd started to look for a CBX engine to do an estart conversion and found they were few and far between. After much internet searching I went to Supersport in Langley and he had this engine sans head sitting on his shelf.

The frame was nasty looking so I touched it up with a spray bomb. But covering up rust didn't seem right so I stripped it, the brush on stripper kinda worked but a can of aircraft stripper used repeatedly with rinses in between did the job, (eye and breathing protection and do it outside is a must).

DSCF0690.JPG

DSCF0692.JPG

DSCF0697.JPG

DSCF0699.JPG

DSCF0701.JPG

DSCF0714.JPG

For the frame I used a product from KYB coatings, it's 4 stages comprised of stripping, rust protection, primer and paint.  I liked the idea of being able to use a brush and do it indoors.  Funny, the primer was a thing of beauty but the final coat of black had wrinkles in it.  It's solid now that it's dry though.

DSCF0788.JPG

I wanted to keep the XRL crank since the CBX has a shorter stroke and putting a 280 kit in would only give me a displacement increase of 15 cc.  Unfortunately the CBX crank is required for the longer shaft on the flywheel side to accomodate the e start gear. 

DSCF0688.JPG

DSCF0722.JPG

DSCF0790.JPG

• Like 1