Sign in to follow this  

In need of advice from older riders

Hi everyone. I'm in need of help from someone that has been riding/racing for some time and has been around the sport for a while. I am a freshman in college and have to write a paper on a "common misconception". I have to summarize an argument(s) about the topic and then state my own viewpoint with facts supporting it. I would like to write about something to do with offroad riding or racing. I have been riding and working on my own machines for about 5-6 years and consider myself pretty mechanically inclined, so i would like to write about a topic that encompasses these traits in someway. I am open to all ideas and criticism that you guys may have. Thanks and i hope someone will be able to help me out.

One very common misconception is that mx racing requires only a twist of the throttle and therefore isn't really a sport. Those of us who actually ride know that pro mx racers are some of the best endurance athletes in the world.

• Like 7

One very common misconception is that mx racing requires only a twist of the throttle and therefore isn't really a sport. Those of us who actually ride know that pro mx racers are some of the best endurance athletes in the world.

For the purposes of an English paper, this would be a very good topic to use.  Anyone can relate to endurance because we've all ran around the playround in elementary school.  But not everyone can relate to.. for instance, the definition of "powerband," since non-riders misconceive the powerband to be a mechanical device on the machine. 

You could buy a cheap heartbeat meter and wear it on your next ride.. then compare that to your heartrate while running or riding a bicycle.  That would give a lotta meat for your paper, you could expound endlessly on a lotta this stuff.

Edited by LovingOffroadPain

write about how infact 4 strokes are not better then 2 strokes.

(gets popcorn and sits back)

• Like 6

You could write of the misconceptions about:

Physical difficulties of racing

Why a power band is not a physical part

Why loud pipes are faster than quiet pipes

Why KTMs are good bikes

How js7 is the FMOTP

• Like 1

To add onto this, you could do a section on breaking through the mental wall, or the boundary that your brain sets, that needs to be broken. I can't remember which, but I remember reading a article in one of the main dirt biking magazines about what it takes to climb over this wall etc. etc. Just a thought, good luck.

I don't know of any common misconception of motorcycles. I do see a lot of common misconceptions of peoples belief's concerning gun control and public safety. As you are a freshman in college, I believe you are going to see a coordinated effort from the professors to challenge and have you defend your beliefs.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. These all sound like good ideas to me. I like the idea about how motocross is the most physically demanding sport most of all. Thanks fineblackline and LovinOffroadPain. Have you guys ever seen any articles or interviews that debate this or bash mx? I need some published articles or interviews that I can disagree with and attempt to prove wrong. :thinking:

write about how infact 4 strokes are not better then 2 strokes.

(gets popcorn and sits back)

422524610_oh_no_you_didnt_answer_2_xlarg

• Like 1

For the purposes of an English paper, this would be a very good topic to use.  Anyone can relate to endurance because we've all ran around the playround in elementary school.  But not everyone can relate to.. for instance, the definition of "powerband," since non-riders misconceive the powerband to be a mechanical device on the machine. 

You could buy a cheap heartbeat meter and wear it on your next ride.. then compare that to your heartrate while running or riding a bicycle.  That would give a lotta meat for your paper, you could expound endlessly on a lotta this stuff.

If you search hard enough there is support for the above posters info, heart rate at 198 for 38 minutes or something crazy.. For sure back that up with your own research.. Then please post your report so we can settle the argument once and for all.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. These all sound like good ideas to me. I like the idea about how motocross is the most physically demanding sport most of all. Thanks fineblackline and LovinOffroadPain. Have you guys ever seen any articles or interviews that debate this or bash mx? I need some published articles or interviews that I can disagree with and attempt to prove wrong. :thinking:

Search for the source cited when they say in the movie "On Any Sunday" that motocross is 2nd only to soccer in physical endurance.

The physical demands of motocross is a fine topic, but we all agree on this.  You could get more controversial.  Here are some ideas:

It is a common misperception that:

All helmets that carry the same certifications (DOT/Snell/ECE) are just as safe as any other with identical certifications, and some certifications are superior to others.  (This is a very common misperception with tons of opportunity to explore the historical development of standards and current developments in the field).

Neck braces actually cause injuries that would not have occurred without them (or) Neck braces will become standard equipment for dirt riders because they prevent serious injuries that we don't even want to think about.  (This is currently under debate and it is a brand new technology, arguably pretty important).

Jumps in pro motocross and supercross have gotten higher and more difficult, leading to more potential injuries for pros, and greater danger for young riders who emulate them (also under debate and important).

Of course, if you really want to get controversial, you could tackle the motor oil debate.  That would be a bold move!

Good luck with your paper, and keep us posted.  

To Dragon67, I would like to stay away from the safety side of things such as protective gear. Thanks for the input tho. To j368, that was a very interesting article. i actually enjoyed reading it. That did give me something to think about. I would still like to hear some more ideas if anyone has any. I'm looking for as much input as I can  get. Thanks to everyone so far! :thumbsup:

that you dont need to be big, fat, ride a harley, and wave an american flag to be a motorcyclist?

The endurance thing is pretty subjective.

Having ridden MX, played soccer (hs and college), wrestled (hs and college) and cross country running, on a per minute basis, wrestling is by far the most endurance demanding sport I've done.

MX is way tougher than soccer and last  would be cross country.

I've seen lots of reports that say otherwise - not sure what the basis is for those. Most are by people who have collected data but not actually done them all.

It is an all to common misconception that MX being a motorsport is pretty easy .... until you actually do it.

Edited by oldfrt613

Maybe talk about how mx can be a safe sport despite what everyone thinks. Wearing the proper gear can lessen your chances of being injured. I've known riders who would race a whole season without getting an injury, could someone say that about playing football? I've always heard that your chances of getting an injury playing football is 100%.

I like to topic of endurance and misconceptions of MX riders. Another angle is that all pro MX riders and for that part all MX riders race and party 24/7, before and after racing. This, as we all know is not true! The top athletes of our sport are highly trained with specific training routines. It might be hard to get but you can support an argument by getting an actual training cycle from a pro rider.

I am 36 now and still racing B level GP, Desert and some MX. Endurance is the key, and more so as I get older! :)

Good luck, I am looking forward to reading this if you share it!