Sign in to follow this  

Do you accelerate while standing?

I have been practicing my technique and just cant accelerate while standing. I really grip the tank with my knees and boots and still have to death grip the bars. Do you accelerate while standing or seated?

Ususally i sit when I get on the gas leaving a turn. But if the exit is SUPER bumpy ill sit but push myself up so I get my butt of the seat a bit. And sometimes its better to just stand through the turn. As you ride more and more you will know when to do what, it comes with experience.

I have been practicing my technique and just cant accelerate while standing. I really grip the tank with my knees and boots and still have to death grip the bars. Do you accelerate while standing or seated?

You are not in the proper body position.  The most fundamental and important riding drill is what I call the eggshell drill....which means you hold onto the grips so lightly...that if they were eggshells...you would not break them.  Then...you accelerate and decelerate all the time keeping your eggshell grip light.  To accelerate, you have to get way out over the front of the bike.  It is a balance thing.  The more you accelerate...the farther forward you get.  The harder your brake...the farther back you get.  The goal is to internalize this balancing act.  Developing this balance is the KEY to safe jumping.  Being in balance such that you are not pushing or pulling the grips...as you load into a jump face...will get you 90% of the way there...when it comes to safe, balanced, controlled jumping. Another way to look at it is that you adjust your body position (the location of your CG) relative to the pegs such that the pegs are the only point at which your body is moved from.

As for squeezing...it is part of the drill.  You do not squeeze all the time...because squeezing can be used to compensate for being out of balance.  When you get out of balance you will know...because you are pulling (not far enough forward during accel) or pushing hard (not far enough back while braking) on the grips...THEN you squeeze, grip..and use your core to re-establish balance...then stop squeezing.  Again...you this basic balancing act needs to get to the point that it is automatic.

There are situations where you put your body purposely out of balance...such as riding through BIG widely spaced rollers.  In that case....you will move your knees back and grip hard about mid seat...hips way back...head low....  To hold this...you have to squeeze hard all the time at the knees while you row the bike over the rollers.  Watch the vid of AC92 "hauling the rollers".  Textbook.

• Like 10

A good "agility drill" to learn this is to ride around a track standing up with your left hand behind your back.  Just slow in 1st gear to start, and obviously don't try it on a crowded track.  This really emphasizes why you need to lean forward before getting on the gas. 

• Like 2

If your talking about getting out of a corner while standing and you cant stand up well your fine because most of us cant do that and the people you can are riding incorrectly.  Now if your riding down a straight you would want to stand up.  It all depends though.  I would work on standing up coming into corners as you can make up more time than standing up earlier which btw i dont know why you would want to do that..  Now I have to say accelerate sitting done and brake standing up as a rule of thumb.  I like to stand up in certain sweepers.  There is too much grey area that there is no definite answer.  There are riders who a lot and others who sit a lot and both can ride pretty darn fast,  one thing they have in common is they stand while braking and jumping.  So to answer your question I would say its awkward to stand while gassing it and time would be better spent trying to stand until your back on the gas which is where you sit or in tight corners you sit earlier.  As you can see this is not quite cut and dry but one thing to remember is to stand until your in the corner and then get on the gas.  Its a bit of an advanced technique and should be practiced after say throttle control and braking but it is not too bad to practice.  Always practice the basics which well most people know ie proper braking, throttle control, shifting, clutch control.  There is always something to work on and well, standing while accelerating is not one of them.

When it's relatively smooth you can accelerate while seated but when it's bumpy you should be standing. If it's not too bumpy you can lean forward. This way you don't have to hold on too tight. But if it's very bumpy you should lean back more in order to keep the front wheel lite so it doesn't hit the bumps too hard. Then you will have to pull back on the handlebars quite a bit. That's another reason you have to be strong and have a good cardio package to ride motocross. 

Motocross fitness DVD or Steam, free preview: http://www.gsmxs.com/featured/motocross-conditioning-2-dvd-39-95

MX Conditioning V2 COVER resized.jpg

A question that hopefully fits the topic:

Does anyone (especially the bigger guys) use some kind of grip tape, rubber sheet, etc on the shrouds to enhance grip in the area where seat and shrouds meet?  I tend to leave my knees about at the level of the pegs because moving any further forward would cause me to pretty much slip back again...

Does anyone (especially the bigger guys) use some kind of grip tape, rubber sheet, etc on the shrouds to enhance grip in the area where seat and shrouds meet?  I tend to leave my knees about at the level of the pegs because moving any further forward would cause me to pretty much slip back again...

I'm tall, 6'4" mostly legs, and have found that while standing I can't grip with my knees. So I have to grip with my ankles and calfs, and riding on the balls of my feet really helps. When I ride on my arches my toes point out and it's a very relaxed natural position. But when I move to the balls of my feet, It forces me to point my toes inward. It helps me really dig my heels and get a lot more grip on the bike.

Edited by Die_trying

6'6" too much leg lol and 190. Use grip on my frame rails and thats about it. Doesnt help much but its something. Can always try that clear grip if you want to plaster it on your graphics. I grip mostly with my inner legs best I can since my knees are positioned so high and dig in with the bottom of the boots when I'm trying not to be light on my feet.

Pull up any desert racing footage on YouTube (try deserthounds) and you'll see the proper technique to accelerating while standing up. For us desert racers, sitting down is a luxury that's rarely afforded

• Like 1

I ride endure and try stand as much as possible, its harder to accelerate when you are tall (I am 6'2") but after doing it and practicing it becomes easier, strengthening your body and core will help

At first just short shift and use half throttle while standing to get used to it, also try lean forward over the bars a bit while accelerating, and grip with your legs

It's been said many times before that the only time you should be sitting is in corners. It feels weird for me when I sit. I feel like I waste so much energy getting bucked around

I got a higher and pretty hard seat... it helps with gripping while standing a bit and it also really helps to not enjoy sitting down very much haha ... but as said, still I can grip (or pretty much hold on to my bike) in a neutral position (balls on the pegs, knees on peg level)... I have no issue holding onto the bike like this on very rough straighaways (90% legs, 10% arms)... but its still fatiguing... leaning more forward (shoulders on bar level or even further forward) would cause my knees to slip back and forth as the bike moves underneath me... its just not the same feeling of control or stability... but I might have to get a footage of that, I'm not sure if I can tell how this looks like just by knowing how its feels like...

You are not in the proper body position.  The most fundamental and important riding drill is what I call the eggshell drill....which means you hold onto the grips so lightly...that if they were eggshells...you would not break them.  Then...you accelerate and decelerate all the time keeping your eggshell grip light.  To accelerate, you have to get way out over the front of the bike.  It is a balance thing.  The more you accelerate...the farther forward you get.  The harder your brake...the farther back you get.  The goal is to internalize this balancing act.  Developing this balance is the KEY to safe jumping.  Being in balance such that you are not pushing or pulling the grips...as you load into a jump face...will get you 90% of the way there...when it comes to safe, balanced, controlled jumping. Another way to look at it is that you adjust your body position (the location of your CG) relative to the pegs such that the pegs are the only point at which your body is moved from.

As for squeezing...it is part of the drill.  You do not squeeze all the time...because squeezing can be used to compensate for being out of balance.  When you get out of balance you will know...because you are pulling (not far enough forward during accel) or pushing hard (not far enough back while braking) on the grips...THEN you squeeze, grip..and use your core to re-establish balance...then stop squeezing.  Again...you this basic balancing act needs to get to the point that it is automatic.

There are situations where you put your body purposely out of balance...such as riding through BIG widely spaced rollers.  In that case....you will move your knees back and grip hard about mid seat...hips way back...head low....  To hold this...you have to squeeze hard all the time at the knees while you row the bike over the rollers.  Watch the vid of AC92 "hauling the rollers".  Textbook.

This is exactly right.  Its all about body lean and position.  You lower half should stay in pretty much the same neutral position in most cases, but its all about upper body lean and learning how to apply it at the right time. 

Typically not, because i'm a lazy &%$#@! on the bike...something i'm trying to overcome but not exercising enough to make a difference. On bumpy straights i'm definitely standing up with my head over the bars, on bumpy corner exits i'm standing up with my weight shifted back. I found my suspension works better to absorb the bumps in those situations dependent upon body position.

Most bikes are very poorly designed for gripping the seat and shrouds.  They have step where the shroud meets the seat...making it hard to switch from knee gripping in a forward position...to knee gripping further back.  The whole trend towards a narrower feel in the shrouds and seat is also stupid.

I completely re-worked my bike to improve this.  I glued NSI waffle pattern foot pad foam (used on surfboards and sailboards) to my shrouds in the area where my knees grip.  This made the step between the seat and shrouds even worse...but made it really easy to grip forward on the shrouds.  What I did to fix the step..was I measured out the step..and had SDG customize my seat with new foam and cover.  The seat had to be nearly 1.5" wider in some areas to work correctly.  It actually overlaps the shroud joing by about 1/4".  I did this because the seat is mushier/softer than the shroud foam.  So the seat needs to be slightly wider so it 'feels' flush.  Now...I can not even feel where my shrouds end...and the seat starts.  It is seamless and the grip level is excellent on both the shrouds and seat.  This means that I can actually grip the bike with my knees 1/2 on the seat...1/2 on the shrouds...and not even know it.  This is a tremendous improvement in rideability...  People who ride  my bike for the first time marvel at how easy it is to grip and control the bike with knee grip...

Edited by Blutarsky
  • Like 1

This is exactly right.  Its all about body lean and position.  You lower half should stay in pretty much the same neutral position in most cases, but its all about upper body lean and learning how to apply it at the right time. 

This is the classic style...  Dungey rides like this. 

If you watch Tomac and RV...you will see that they ride with their upper body lower than Dungey...with a flatter back.  That means that their hips and lower bodies have to shift more to move fore aft.  Dungeys style is more efficient I think.  The super strong back style is more stable (thus faster)...but less efficient (more exhausting).

Edited by Blutarsky
  • Like 1