TE310 Clutch not releasing

Hi Guys

I have had my bike in the garage for a few months and when I put it in gear after I started it yesterday , the motor cut out - the clutch isnt working all of a sudden - anyone know what gives ? Its a 2012 TE310

Jerry

Try adjusting?. You're saying clutch grabs and stops engine..? Common for a little grab when warming up and first putting in gear. As bike warms up less, little or no grab.

Oil levels..check those too.

sounds like you need to remove your clutch cover to have a look at the basket ,hub and pressure plate.check out clutch push rod also.clutch hub bushings have on occasion seized.dan

sounds like you need to remove your clutch cover to have a look at the basket ,hub and pressure plate.check out clutch push rod also.clutch hub bushings have on occasion seized.dan

Thanks Dan

But can this happen when I have hardly used the bike ? I have only a few thousand KM on the bike so far. The clutch was fine last time I rode on the bike, its just been standing inside in the garage since.

If the clutch lever feels normal when you pull it in and out the clutch plates are probably stuck together from sitting a long period of time. Put the bike in gear with the engine off. Pull the clutch lever in and rock the bike back and forth a few times. 

I have also done it with engine running. Just make sure you are in an open area and nothing in front of you. Crank engine, keep the clutch lever pulled in and put it in gear. may stall a few times but will usually break free after a couple of attempts. 

I have an old Sherco trials bike also and I keep the clutch lever pulled in with a velcro strap if I know the bike will be sitting a long time without being ridden. Its clutch plates stick badly if it sits unridden for awhile until broken free and then works perfectly normal.

Bill35

If the clutch lever feels normal when you pull it in and out the clutch plates are probably stuck together from sitting a long period of time. Put the bike in gear with the engine off. Pull the clutch lever in and rock the bike back and forth a few times. 

I have also done it with engine running. Just make sure you are in an open area and nothing in front of you. Crank engine, keep the clutch lever pulled in and put it in gear. may stall a few times but will usually break free after a couple of attempts. 

I have an old Sherco trials bike also and I keep the clutch lever pulled in with a velcro strap if I know the bike will be sitting a long time without being ridden. Its clutch plates stick badly if it sits unridden for awhile until broken free and then works perfectly normal.

Bill35

Thanks Bill and Dan, I´ll try your method tonight Bill. If it doesnt work I´ll have a go at taking off the clutch cover and checking out if the bearings are sticking a la Dan.

Edited by JdB