Sign in to follow this  

Kx250f question

I crashed the bike last weekend.dislocated my shoulder and tore a tendon after i got loaded in the cart my brother and riding buddies loaded my bike and everything so i didn't see it for 5 days well the only thing broke was a bent bar clamp got them ordered well my brother hopped on it and states it was Gonna take it for a spin when it started i knew he left the tail plug in i ran and ripped it out... Now im paranoid the valves sound like they ticket louder... The plug was in maybe 5 seconds can that ruin the valves with back pressure?

Thanks dragon confirmed with a dealer earlier turns out that's how they check for exhaust leaks?

Valves probably sound loader because you normally on the bike with a helmet on when its running. 

possible Muffler Bearing damage!

I had not thought of that.  If that's the case, the muffler bearing would need to be replaced before it strips out the power band.  I don't think it's an emergency because the idle valve compensates for the compression differentiation.  There are a couple built in redundancies.  The other one is the hot-start re-set, which disengages the pilot thrust bearing if the muffler bearing doesn't return the right resistance to the ECU.  Besides, muffler bearings are a lot more stable now, and most people use the Sigma aftermarket setups that dealers started to install in '06-'08.  Even if they don't, the OEM Ti ones in '09 and later models last a lot longer than the magnesium ones used to, as you know.  In my case, I bypassed the circuit all together (the silver wire mod).  Saving $163 doesn't seem like it's worth it, but I refuse to buy ceramic.  As a result, I no longer get the coughing (barking) sound on decel and my low RPM power is better than ever.  Some flattening at the top, but that's to be expected.  I just threw a 49T rear sprocket on to compensate and switched to Rotella T.  Had to re-gap the plug to .06mm to prevent detonation, though.  Anyway, it is unlikely the OP could trash the muffler bearing with a brief run time like that.  He can check the power band on the next oil change.  Probably just a little discoloration from the blow-by, but nothing of consequence.

• Like 1

And, yes OP, Al and I were just kidding around (not at your expense, but ours!)  It was a good question and you have a good answer.

No worries just semi new to the 4 stroke valve system lol

As long as you know I was just having fun with Al's response.  There are no bad questions, so if you have any doubt, ask.  Glad you took it the right way.  I hardly ever kid around, but he teed it up perfectly, and you were safe with the original answer.  I have a video of a "normal" sounding KXF I will attach for you in a minute.  Just have to find it.  If yours sounds a lot different, we can discuss.  

Here is what the bike sounds like from all sides.  Sound familiar?  th_VID_20130606_184847_zps829becc9.jpg

yea I was messin with ya. worst thing that can happen is a fouled plug.

Dragon, I got a nice remap for your 2011 if you can get ahold of a program connector set.

I did three with different power curves ,