Sign in to follow this  

2002 kx250 heavy weight?

So I hopped on a buddies 01 kx250, first thing I thought was how does he ride with the levers like this!

The machine felt really light though, could be all in my head.. Just wondering why my 02 feels like a tractor? I know my springs are a little soft, could that contribute?

Also my rear spokes had been shot, lots of loose ones.. Last night I laced new spline drive excels onto the rear hub, could a mush rear wheel make her feel heavy? Could have been an empty tank, his just felt really light, almost too light. What do you guys think? Is the 02 a porker?

My 2002 feels plenty light. I have resprung it for my 200 pound body which really helped. I also slid the forks quite a ways up in the clamps per Team Green recommendations and that planted the front end helping it to turn. My bike is plenty "flick able" - especially coming off of a four stroke!

• Like 1

My 2002 feels plenty light. I have resprung it for my 200 pound body which really helped. I also slid the forks quite a ways up in the clamps per Team Green recommendations and that planted the front end helping it to turn. My bike is plenty "flick able" - especially coming off of a four stroke!

Seeing as I am a 200 lbr myself, do you remember the spring weights you went with? Good idea on the forks too. Thanks

What was Team Green's recommendation on moving the forks up? I've got mine up 5-8mm...

Edited by Marylander

http://www.kawasakisportscenter.com/techtalk/techtalk.php

Not my website and I am not sure why the 2002 settings aren't showing up. I have my forks 12mm above the clamps (I have the 2002 settings printed out). Right at 100mm sag with .47 springs in the forks and a 5.5 spring on the shock. Both my forks and shock have been revalved.

I tried my forks at 10mm up and the front end was more stable for high speed whoops but started to push in flat corners. I like the 12mm up just like team green suggests.

• Like 1

Interesting that they list 10mm for 2000 but 12mm for 2001... I see some of the other settings are different too. I will play around with 10-12mm.

Great info, thanks fellas.  Next up are springs, mine are sacked for sure..   I have just about done a complete rebuild on her..  CL special!  Gotta love it.