Sign in to follow this  

Newbies and non mechanical types.

Ok thumper talk friends and fam. I am noticing more and more on your forums of people that are new to bikes or crfs in general are getting taken advantage of by the local shop and or mechanic. And don't get me wrong I am not categorizing all local shops. I know lots of honest mom and pop shops out there. Just kills me to here of someone with no mechanical knowledge get took. So here it is guys. (661) 256-7309. Please call and ask for Jeff with any questions about your crf. I have owned one for 8 years now and know a bit about them, but if you stump me I will ask around and we can get it figured out before you take it to the shop for a little ease at mind. And we can put the word out for a good shop in your area. And please use this forum to your advantage and don't get taken advantage of. 

And I ask all knowledgeable people that are willing to help a fellow rider to post there # so that we will not here of some poor dude shelling out a bunch of money to not fix the problem. 

Please help if you can.

Thanks Jeff @ Bigborethumpers.com

Jeff,

isn't your suggestion counter to all that Thumpertalk forum was built on?

The ability to ask questions and get answers on here is what makes Thumpertalk, well, Thumpertalk.

Don't mean to piss on your cornflakes, but the fact that you've owned one old 450R hardly makes you an expert on anything other than maybe old 450Rs...

DO NOT turn this thread into a bash fest. Jeff is merely giving another avenue to find information. I didn't see anywhere in his post that his knowledge is the be all end all to CRF information.

• Like 2

DO NOT turn this thread into a bash fest. Jeff is merely giving another avenue to find information. I didn't see anywhere in his post that his knowledge is the be all end all to CRF information.

Easy Tiger...no one's bashing Jeff.

Just seems kinda odd for a sponsor to come on the world's top motorcycle self help forum and say " Don't trust the answers you get here, call me and I'll set you straight..."

Maybe I'm wrong on this...

Maybe I'm blind, but I didn't see anywhere in his post that says don't trust the answers you get here. In fact, in the last sentence he asked for others to help new people.

• Like 1

I only posted this comment do to a post I seen on the forum of a guys bike that quit running and he took it to a shop and told him that the crank needed to be replaced and new piston and rings and then gave him some crap on how to start the bike when he got it back like pull the choke pull the hot start and give it half throttle and kick.And guess what it wouldn't start. 

I mean nothing by this post other that to let newbies and people with shaky mechanical abilities feel ok to ask questions even if it has been posted 5 million times on this forum and he is worried cause the last question he had got shot down. People need to know there are people they can talk to if typing the issue is not getting the problem across. I never said that i am a CRF expert I even added that if you stump me I will do my best to find someone that knows the answer. I am very sorry if you took this as a marketing ploy but its not at all. You don't have to call me But I don't see any other #'s offering to help ether. Im just tired of people that don't know any better getting shafted. I think its awful there are those people out there. 

Guys if you have not noticed I have been trying very hard to be a helping hand on these forums. Im not claming to be an expert at all but i do know a thing or 2.  I am not looking for any Adaboy or to pad my pocket. I do throw my products where I can but dah thats why Im a thumper talk sponsor. I pearly come on here and try and be helpful because I like to. I am really sorry you guys that are against this post are not helpful at all with your comments here. Some people like to be more personable and talk on the phone. Its just another way for the guy that doesn't know what's up with his bike to ask and maybe be walk threw the issue.    

Nah Jeff keep on going good thread dude yes you are right there are shops that do that and it was an awesome Idea to start this. When I had my crf250 I need the valves checked and shimmed but didn't know any better, went in talked to a mechanic at a local planet Honda that thank god finally closed down and they wanted around 300 for just a check and reshim. So I asked the mechanic what I would need to do a reshim myself and he told me it was way to hard for a guy like me, me being 17 at the time. Thank god I'm stubborn (or poor) because I did it myself for much less and I learned a thing or two off the net!

• Like 1

he told me it was way to hard for a guy like me,

In the spirit of the show "The Office" -- i'd like to throw in a  "That's what she said!"  on this one

• Like 1

he told me it was way to hard for a guy like me, me being 17 at the time. Thank god I'm stubborn (or poor) because I did it myself for much less and I learned a thing or two off the net!

i'm glad you got it done -- I am a former aircraft mechanic myself and its been a few years ,  sometimes I have to catch myself before I take it to a shop and say  -- "This thing is not gonna fall from the sky if I goof it up -- but I probably won't if I follow the manual "    ---   That said, if I do anything tricky, my next trip will usually be to a MX track, so I don't end up walking if I  legitimately assembled something wrong

• Like 1

There is more than one way to do things. 

I still believe the stock head with SS valves properly cut in with all new parts above is all that is needed for a successful head job.

Some believe you must change the seats and use Ti valves to get a quality head.

I disagree with that, and am personally aware of several # 1 and # 2 D-37 plate riders who agree and do like wise.

The need to promote a 'certain way' as if it were the only 'correct' based on limited and suspect success I believe is what's being challenged here....

• Like 1

Theres more than one way to skin a cat as stated by Krannie.

However, what is being challenged in my opinion is the fact that Jeff is motivated by an agenda. The agenda being sales.

He may be sincere in his posts but I think exposure is the real motivation.

Nothing wrong with that, I just think that is the wall he's up against.

Just not subtle enough Jeffrey!! There's an art to sales. One I have yet to figure out but when the customer can sell a product better than you (AS Racing) that's when you know your doing something right.

My .02!!!

Edited by BolinJrsPit Crew
  • Like 1

I guess everybody is entitled to voice their opinion and of course there often are several different ones posted.

I dont see anything wrong or deceptive about the post that Jeff at BBT posted in a few of the honda forums.  

He is a MC guy like the rest of the us and also works at a place that has or does some advertising on this website. At least we know exactly who he is and alittle background about him and the company he works for. Thats about as fair or straight forward as it gets, keeping in mind he is relatively new to posting on TT.

He may or may not know yet that the 450X forum has alot of AS fan club members that post here, and it sounds like AS himself posts here using a different name. If thats the case I see that as being deceptive much moreso than Jeff's posting.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1047260-thought-id-share-this-as-this-thread-is-getting-a-tad-stale/

I guess everybody is entitled to voice their opinion and of course there often are several different ones posted.

I dont see anything wrong or deceptive about the post that Jeff at BBT posted in a few of the honda forums.  

He is a MC guy like the rest of the us and also works at a place that has or does some advertising on this website. At least we know exactly who he is and alittle background about him and the company he works for. Thats about as fair or straight forward as it gets, keeping in mind he is relatively new to posting on TT.

He may or may not know yet that the 450X forum has alot of AS fan club members that post here, and it sounds like AS himself posts here using a different name. If thats the case I see that as being deceptive much moreso than Jeff's posting.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1047260-thought-id-share-this-as-this-thread-is-getting-a-tad-stale/

Other professionals should not be chastised for choosing to voice their opinion and at the same time not promoting their business, right?

BBT pays monthly to be able to quote their name, products and contact information.

Not every professional can do that financially, or may choose to put their resources else where...

Not commercially promoting your business does not make you any less legitimate or professional....in fact in some cases it makes you more professional....

...and belittling AS Racings quality by calling it's customers a 'fan club' is just as deceptive and manipulative as you claim others to be....

If I were to say "hey, call me if you have any questions about CRF450X's", would you not immediately assume I am  trolling for customers?

Jeff's employers have paid for the right to promote and troll for customers, no doubt.  That doesn't make it any less slimy...since Jeff himself is not a mechanic and would not be directly answering the questions...

Edited by Krannie
  • Like 1

Your response seems to be going in a number of different directions but no Im not looking for an internet arguement. I just stated my opinion in response to some other members opinions, and I dont have any motive other than lets be fair about this when making a judgement about somebody else whom you dont know or dont already do business with. 

Edited by TDW

Other professionals should not be chastised for choosing to voice their opinion and at the same time not promoting their business, right?

BBT pays monthly to be able to quote their name, products and contact information.

Not every professional can do that financially, or may choose to put their resources else where...

Not commercially promoting your business does not make you any less legitimate or professional....in fact in some cases it makes you more professional....

...and belittling AS Racings quality by calling it's customers a 'fan club' is just as deceptive and manipulative as you claim others to be....

If I were to say "hey, call me if you have any questions about CRF450X's", would you not immediately assume I am  trolling for customers?

Jeff's employers have paid for the right to promote and troll for customers, no doubt.  That doesn't make it any less slimy...since Jeff himself is not a mechanic and would not be directly answering the questions...

How is anything I have said Slimy. And how says Im not a mechanic and will not be the one answering questions? Krannie you are getting a bit wordy on who I am. 

I didn't mean to step on any ones toes in here. This was not even a marketing ploy. Regardless of what you guys may think. I posted this for the guy that needs help and feels it is easier to call than type. 

I don't need to troll for customers. This business has been in business for 40 years. It is truly unnecessary  for me to beat around the bush when it comes to marketing. See the sponsor next to my name? I can be blunt. We have all kinds of performance motorcycle parts for your bike come check us out form New crf 450 cylinder heads to Manual cam chain tensioners at Bigborethumpers.com.

I am not really sure why you guys are so against me and this post but its awesome cause you keep putting it at the top of the list. :thumbsup: Look if you think this is a slimy Marketing scam Don't call me. But we do have a very knowledgeable staff that can help you monday threw friday if you need us.