How to Identify E CDI?

So I picked up a 2001 E CDI supposedly. Hooked it up in my S, and the rev-limiter isn't any higher. The box also ran without me removing any wires on my S (My safety switches have been removed though, so maybe this is why I didn't have to remove any wires?).

The numbers on the supposed E CDI is:

MGT031

F8T36975

So is there anyway to actually verify this?

At least I got a good deal on it, so it can be a spare CDI even if it's not an E CDI.

MGT031

F8T36975

My S CDI has the same exact numbers for the first two lines, only the four numbers in the third line are different.

The seller is awesome though, he is sending me out another CDI tomorow, that has completely different numbers, so hopefully it is an E model.

**edit, I found this post:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/177494-how-to-identify-drze-cdi/

Edited by OhioYJ

Noble and Eddie have posted the p/n in the past. I'd search for you but the phone is a pain

Noble and Eddie have posted the p/n in the past. I'd search for you but the phone is a pain

I added a link above, I finally found the right combination of search terms to find it.

So now what's the difference in the California CDI?

So I picked up a 2001 E CDI supposedly. Hooked it up in my S, and the rev-limiter isn't any higher. The box also ran without me removing any wires on my S (My safety switches have been removed though, so maybe this is why I didn't have to remove any wires?).

The numbers on the supposed E CDI is:

MGT031

F8T36975

So is there anyway to actually verify this?

At least I got a good deal on it, so it can be a spare CDI even if it's not an E CDI.

Keep searching the CDI part numbers are here somewhere. I believe Bronco posted them.

By george I think you're right.....:lol: 

Each CDI has specific ID numbers...the writing on the side is in three lines...the last 2 numbers on the middle line is the key. for example:

Mgto24857

33a5771

the last 2 numbers of the middle line in this example are 71...

71 = K model

72 = E model

75 = S model

By george I think you're right..... :lol:

Each CDI has specific ID numbers...the writing on the side is in three lines...the last 2 numbers on the middle line is the key. for example:

Mgto24857

33a5771

the last 2 numbers of the middle line in this example are 71...

71 = K model

72 = E model

75 = S model

Erik, Eddie, whatever I'm getting old...  I'd have to take the seat off to look and the phone is even worse at that! :smashpc:

Erik, Eddie, whatever I'm getting old...  I'd have to take the seat off to look and the phone is even worse at that! :smashpc:

All good, no doubt I learned there was a way to tell the difference from one of those two in the first place. 

So the new one I have in my hand is a 74? What is it from?

74=DRZ400 SM

74=DRZ400 SM

Well crap.

So this might be a dumb question, but K is "kicker" I take it? Which is the same as E essentially right?

Well crap.

So this might be a dumb question, but K is "kicker" I take it? Which is the same as E essentially right?

Yes

The CDI is one of the parts on my bike that I feel comfortable not having a spare of, in all the time I've been a member here I haven't seen 1 post where the CDI was found to be the cause of an issue.

I might snap up a spare stator if one comes up cheap though... :rolleyes:

If I was you I'd be returning both those CDI's back to the seller for a refund.

What is 73, supposed to be an E CDI, came off the same bike I got the A and B cams from, are you supposed to remove the dark green wire from the large plug?

If I was you I'd be returning both those CDI's back to the seller for a refund.

The seller sent the second one out free of charge for me to try. He's also fine with me sending it back for a refund if I want. So the seller has been great about it. Its not likely that my stock one will evewr go out, however it really was cheap, and I have enough friends with DRZs that a spare might not be a bad thing ton have,

What is 73, supposed to be an E CDI, came off the same bike I got the A and B cams from, are you supposed to remove the dark green wire from the large plug?

73 is a EU version DRZ400SM CDI

Thanks for that, are there any real differences in the spark curve or is it just limiter related, thanks for you help

Thanks for that, are there any real differences in the spark curve or is it just limiter related, thanks for you help

I'll have to answer from a "What I think I know " column. as I've never been able to verify myself, only been told from trusted sources...

Im told there is no change in mapping of the ignition for  the US models,, swapping an E for a S/SM CDI requires removing the green wire from the large CDI plug.. but that is just a kill switch wiring thing.

The EU CDI is a bit less clear.. seat of the pants dyno says no difference... but no hard facts let alone definitive testing to back that up.

Cool, thanks for your input

Is there normally a pretty big difference between the rev-limiters between CDIs (Same models)?

I'm seeing almost 400 RPM max difference between the three boxes I have now (S, S, SM), with my stock S box being the highest of any of the boxes, and seems to have the softest rev limiter? My stock S box is going to 9900-9980.

Is there normally a pretty big difference between the rev-limiters between CDIs (Same models)?

I'm seeing almost 400 RPM max difference between the three boxes I have now (S, S, SM), with my stock S box being the highest of any of the boxes, and seems to have the softest rev limiter? My stock S box is going to 9900-9980.

Not reported as such....

Can you send me a clear pic of the top side of the three CDIs please...