Sultan riders doing damage?

hmmm, that "world class" off road area up the street is attracting folks from far far away....providing for the masses ?

that's what i was thinking as well. make it illegal to ride "our" areas then we'll simply be outlaws where ever we please.  not saying what the yahoos in the article did was right or ok but when you're a criminal regardless of where you play why be choosy. 

Not supporting these pricks....but what the hell they expects goingto happen when everything gets shut down, yet more and more people buy orv's. They shut down reiter, give us a measly 2-3 miles as a slap in the face instead. Then expect everyones going to just shrug thier shoulders and say "oh well, guess I spent $1000's of dollars on these bikes for nothing"?

Not supporting these pricks....but what the hell they expects goingto happen when everything gets shut down, yet more and more people buy orv's. They shut down reiter, give us a measly 2-3 miles as a slap in the face instead. Then expect everyones going to just shrug thier shoulders and say "oh well, guess I spent $1000's of dollars on these bikes for nothing"?

It's insanity....anyone that has driven around this county and looked at all the vast open space and can't see it fit to provide a fair portion of it for recreational ORV use should be put in a nut house.

Edited by Slackkinhard

To me the story sounds rather embellished to make the bike riders sound like complete scum.  Not saying that it didn't happen just as the equestrians said, but I have serious doubts that their version of the story tells the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

I wonder what the local sheriff can do to enforce access rules on private land?  Seems that if the land is private, and open to public use, then the land owner would be responsible for security and rules enforcement.

Edited by USED YZ426F

To me the story sounds rather embellished to make the bike riders sound like complete scum.  Not saying that it didn't happen just as the equestrians said, but I have serious doubts that their version of the story tells the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

I wonder what the local sheriff can do to enforce access rules on private land?  Seems that if the land is private, and open to public use, then the land owner would be responsible for security and rules enforcement.

Well of course its embellished. Thats how they have got us kicked off so much public land

I wonder if the next time I see a horse, I fall off. Do I get to be in the paper and talk about vicious horses scaring nice folk off their mount. 

"the lady just wouldn't leave me alone...I kept backing up, but she kept coming, trying to talk to me. She couldn't tell that it was the big mean scary horse with it's giant teeth that was scaring me"

?

btw, did anybody find any tire tracks?  Or did the horses wipe them out too?

Edited by Slackkinhard
  • Like 2

Falling off a horse can be life threatening.  The fall is lot further than off a dirt bike and we wear helmets. Several years ago a friend was thrown off her horse while trail riding, she spent several days in intensive care with severe head injuries. She now wears a helmet. 

When I was a 4H leader we acclimated horses to dirt bikes just to avoid such issues when out on trails. One of the older girls on her thorough bred consistently out drag raced the the boys on their dirt bikes. When the horse approached the start line he would start posturing for the race, I think he liked it but that was his training.

It seems there were at least three riders, and at least one horse, that need some education and training for dealing with encounter situations.

• Like 3

My kid rides horses and we spend a ton of time around them. I can very easily believe the encounter happened pretty much the way it was described, save for the use of the dramatic phrases.

People that don't spend time around horses don't understand how even a very well trained and calm horse can be extremely unpredictable when they are frightened. They are prey animals and once they are spooked, all bets are off.

And being on the back of a horse that is in full gallop when it is terrified is not something you want to experience. It almost never ends well.

I hope they find these asshats and prosecute them to the full extent of the law.

And I noticed an acquaintances name mentioned in the comments of one of the articles as one of the horse people that helped out. I'll be interested to hear their take on this as they are also motorcycle people, both street and dirt.

• Like 3

I do not approve of doing things to hurt others such as throwing logs across trails or bikes spooking horses. With that being said  people need to think about what they are doing when they close off land to the public . In Nature if a animals habitat is infringed or destroyed they will move into areas they dont belong. Such as Bears or Mountain Lions. I always figured if the government closed off to many miles of trail I am going to be forced to break the law and ride. And since I am already breaking the law there is many miles of wilderness that I haven't explored. ?

My kid rides horses and we spend a ton of time around them. I can very easily believe the encounter happened pretty much the way it was described, save for the use of the dramatic phrases.

People that don't spend time around horses don't understand how even a very well trained and calm horse can be extremely unpredictable when they are frightened. They are prey animals and once they are spooked, all bets are off.

And being on the back of a horse that is in full gallop when it is terrified is not something you want to experience. It almost never ends well.

I hope they find these asshats and prosecute them to the full extent of the law.

And I noticed an acquaintances name mentioned in the comments of one of the articles as one of the horse people that helped out. I'll be interested to hear their take on this as they are also motorcycle people, both street and dirt.

My Wife was the one who was mentioned in the article that WoodsRider mentioned. We have horses boarded out at Sky River Equestrian and ride those trails on horseback frequently. The story in the article and the KIRO tv story was not embellished, in fact it did not tell the whole story.

After chasing the spooked horse and rider for a 1/4 mile down the trail by the dipshit on the motorcycle the horse rider fell off and was knocked unconscious. The dirtbiker continued to follow the spooked riderless horse for another 1/4 mile or so down the trail. How shitty is that? There is no excuse for that kind of behavior and it makes all of us who enjoy Moto activities look really bad. The fallen horse rider had to go back to the hospital yesterday.

Please stay the hell off the trails that are marked "no motorized vehicles" I understand that our riding areas are dwindling, but riding illegally just gives ammo to those who want to take more riding areas from us.

• Like 3

My Wife was the one who was mentioned in the article that WoodsRider mentioned. We have horses boarded out at Sky River Equestrian and ride those trails on horseback frequently. The story in the article and the KIRO tv story was not embellished, in fact it did not tell the whole story.

After chasing the spooked horse and rider for a 1/4 mile down the trail by the dipshit on the motorcycle the horse rider fell off and was knocked unconscious. The dirtbiker continued to follow the spooked riderless horse for another 1/4 mile or so down the trail. How shitty is that? There is no excuse for that kind of behavior and it makes all of us who enjoy Moto activities look really bad. The fallen horse rider had to go back to the hospital yesterday.

Please stay the hell off the trails that are marked "no motorized vehicles" I understand that our riding areas are dwindling, but riding illegally just gives ammo to those who want to take more riding areas from us.

Do you think the dirtbiker was being malicious by following the horse?  I'll bet when they catch up to these young bucks on bikes, they'll find ignorant/sheltered young boys that live in the area.