Fan kit for 450 exc

I had a scroll through all the KTM threads so I don't think I'm re-posting the same topic... Anyway I'm thinking of buying a fan kit for my 06 450 exc to help keep it a little cooler. Has anyone installed this kit on their bike and is it worth it? I'm really only thinking about one just to help assist in cooling when riding difficult muddy tracks where there is little to no air flow through the radiators.

There is lots of info and discussion available on KTM fan kits here on ThumperTalk.  The OEM KTM fan kit works well and is a fairly straight forward bolt on deal.  It almost goes without saying that a fan is essential when riding under slow grueling conditions.

Get a hold of Nate at Dirt tricks he has one that works really well!!!

I ended up buying one from the ktm parts catalogue online. Should be a straight plug in and go job.

I put one of the genuine KTM fan kits on my 02 400 EXC and it plugs straight into a socket already on the loom.

It was physically a VERY tight fit though. (probably doesn't help that the rads are bit bent..).

Also, I was having real trouble getting one of the water hoses to fit, so I made my own from a piece of auto heater hose and

slid a snug fitting spring, the same length as the hose, over the outside of the hose to prevent it from collapsing around the tight bends.

Yours is an 06 so it may not be an issue...

I put one of the genuine KTM fan kits on my 02 400 EXC and it plugs straight into a socket already on the loom.

It was physically a VERY tight fit though. (probably doesn't help that the rads are bit bent..).

Also, I was having real trouble getting one of the water hoses to fit, so I made my own from a piece of auto heater hose and

slid a snug fitting spring, the same length as the hose, over the outside of the hose to prevent it from collapsing around the tight bends.

Yours is an 06 so it may not be an issue...

My radiators aren't bent so hopefully they'll fit ok. The only issue I might run into is having the oversized IMS tank which makes the gap between the rads and the tank smaller. There's still a fair size gap though so hopefully it should be alright. I should get the kit in a couple of weeks. Have you noticed much of a difference having the fan on your 400?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have heard the fan kit isn't compatible with the oversize fuel tanks, on 2002 models anyway..But if it's on it's way already all you do is give it a try. And if all else fails switch back to the original tank...

I've found the fan to be very good. I put it on as soon as I got the bike in March this year, so I don't have much to compare with.

But I've done some very slow, tight & twisty tracks (inc. getting stuck plenty)  where there's no air flow & she gets good and hot (and a mates WR is boiling) and the fan kicks in when it needs to and stops when it's cooled down again. Even after I switch the bike off, the fan keeps running for as long as it needs then switches off automatically.

Very pleased with the investment.   :goofy:

I've attached a couple of pics.

Good luck with your install.

IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG

Hmm, I don't have the original tank. I bought the bike with the over sized tank already installed earlier this year and the previous owner didn't have the original tank. I'll just have to see how it goes. Looks like a tight fit on your bike.

Here's the room I've got to play with.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381444844.704674.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381444896.405334.jpg

The radiator hose will probably be in the way. It's a bit hard to tell how much room there is in the pictures but there is a little. Might have to see if I can change the position of the radiator hose to allow the fan to fit up against the radiator.

Edited by Adrian_94

Edited by Adrian_94

If is any help I've got a sxf350 it boiled over once on me so I put 2 computer fans on each rad, wired in a switch on the bars and is done the job and in hasn't boiled over since and I have done quite a fue enduros on it they work a treat. And is never drained the batt and was a hell of a lot cheaper then the ktm kit.

If is any help I've got a sxf350 it boiled over once on me so I put 2 computer fans on each rad, wired in a switch on the bars and is done the job and in hasn't boiled over since and I have done quite a fue enduros on it they work a treat. And is never drained the batt and was a hell of a lot cheaper then the ktm kit.

Thanks for the info. Yeah never thought about using a computer fan. Did you just zip tie the fan to the radiators?

Thanks for the info. Yeah never thought about using a computer fan. Did you just zip tie the fan to the radiators?

Yes mate just zip tied them on I'll get some pics if that mite help? Just thought it mite help ya with the clearance issue I could be wrong but if think they are a lot slimmer then the fan kit

Yes mate just zip tied them on I'll get some pics if that mite help? Just thought it mite help ya with the clearance issue I could be wrong but if think they are a lot slimmer then the fan kit

Yeah I'd imagine they would be a lot slimmer then the kit. I've got a 12volt pc fan already so that may be an option if this kit doesn't fit. Yeah if you've got a few photos that would be good.

just took these quick 

GetAttachment (3).jpg

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

Looks like it would do a nice job. How do they cope with the mud and dust etc..? Or do they stay pretty clean being behind the radiator.

Looks like it would do a nice job. How do they cope with the mud and dust etc..? Or do they stay pretty clean being behind the radiator.

They stay pretty clean the only drama I have had is when washing the bike one will sometimes not spin but as soon as they are dry they are good. Haven't had a problem with them yet when riding and they have been on about 8 months

Nice solution Jono, I've heard of a few people doing that with WR's as there dopesn't appear to be a kit for them :(

Nice solution Jono, I've heard of a few people doing that with WR's as there dopesn't appear to be a kit for them :(

Thanks mate was a quick and very cheap fix :D

install1.jpgYou guys should check out Trail Techs new fan kit. No cutting of your hose. Really nice for those guys that spent a lot of money on CV4 hoses. The last thing you want to do is cut those.

http://www.trailtech.net/ttv-fan-kit

Think I am going to invest in one off these :D

So I'm still waiting on the fan kit, but I just purchased 1.5 litres of 'liquid Intelligence' from eBay for $58. Holy shit this stuff is good!! It's a coolant that is guaranteed to never boil over. The last ride before I put this coolant in, my bike was spewing coolant all over the ground riding up this one track that was very slow and gruelling. If you guys aren't using this already or haven't heard of it, it's seriously worth getting! ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1383687121.250177.jpg