Sign in to follow this  

quick HID question

ordered an HID light tonight... is it simple to wire in a toggle switch? was going to get a simple toggle switch from an auto parts store was hoping its as simple as wire that toggle into one of the wires going to the back of the headlight? and if so anybody know which color wire or anything? 

also another quick question i have heard bad things about hid's in halogen enclosures is it worth putting in there? was thinking about ordering the el cheapo klx450 headlight for 30 bucks but i wont afford it for another week or 2... also heard hid's in halogen lenses are illegal is this true? 

I wouldn't recommend running an HID through a switch. It would better to use a switch to control a relay.

Im running just a regular HID on my DRZ and have nothing wired to the brights, so with the switch in the bright position the light is off. Or you could do it the opposite way.

HIDs in the factory housings are still a big improvement. If you have problems seeing at night you'll love the HIDs, I have them in my both bikes and my Jeep.

I've never been hasseled over my HIDs, legal or not.

im no electritian... why do you suggest not running the hid on an on off switch? is that not basically they same thing as the key being off and on? what would a relay do as opposed to the switch controlling the on of of the light? 

i assume you have no hi/lo its just on lo all the time? how would that work? there is a wire for the high beam wire and a low beam wire and you just dont plug the high beam in? what if i did your setup but dont plug in the lo wire would it be off until i turn the high beam switch on and be a high beam when i have the light on? 

sorry for all the dumb questions as i said im no electritian and sometimes struggle to understand electricity lol 

I wouldn't recommend running an HID through a switch. It would better to use a switch to control a relay.

Im running just a regular HID on my DRZ and have nothing wired to the brights, so with the switch in the bright position the light is off. Or you could do it the opposite way.

HIDs in the factory housings are still a big improvement. If you have problems seeing at night you'll love the HIDs, I have them in my both bikes and my Jeep.

I've never been hasseled over my HIDs, legal or not.

check my last post lol quoted you in this one to get you to see my last post forgot to quote the last one..

also can anyone tell by looks if this is an h4 bulb type? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drz-rmz-wr-wrf-crf-xr-cr-exc-sx-xcf-klx450-250-superbike-StreetFighter-headlight-/300953723576?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46123d62b8&vxp=mtr

ordered an HID light tonight... is it simple to wire in a toggle switch? was going to get a simple toggle switch from an auto parts store was hoping its as simple as wire that toggle into one of the wires going to the back of the headlight? and if so anybody know which color wire or anything? 

also another quick question i have heard bad things about hid's in halogen enclosures is it worth putting in there? was thinking about ordering the el cheapo klx450 headlight for 30 bucks but i wont afford it for another week or 2... also heard hid's in halogen lenses are illegal is this true? 

Vagrantidol does a great conversion wiring harness for HID lighting....

Edited by Craigo 485sm

im no electritian... why do you suggest not running the hid on an on off switch? is that not basically they same thing as the key being off and on? what would a relay do as opposed to the switch controlling the on of of the light?

You'll find most cheap switches from the auto parts stores don't last that long when carrying a load. Most are only rated 10-15 amps. Which generally a single HID will definitely be under, as they draw less than a factory bulb once lit. They do draw a bit more when they are igniting though. Most common relays are rated 30-40 amps continous. That's why generally you want a relay controlling accessories, and the switch controller the relay. As then the switch will only have maybe 0.25-1 amp on it at most, and will live a very long time.

You can put a switch on there if you want, it will technically work. Most places that sell HIDs sell relay kit that will be basically plug and play, as some bikes wiring isn't heavy enough for HIDs, so they require a direct connection to the battery.

I have some information about hooking up relays here. I generally use the very bottom diagram.

i assume you have no hi/lo its just on lo all the time? how would that work?

HID's that are Bi-xenon do the High / Low beams. It's not two bulbs though, there is just a solednoid that actually moves the light forward and back in the housing to create the high / low effect. If you just ordered a regular HID, it won't have High / Low anyways. So yeah I only have on or off. On is basically like the low beam, except it's much brighter. The other nice thing about HIDs is street signs virtually glow in the dark and for almost a mile away, which really helps me as I already have problems seeing at night as I have problems with colors.

there is a wire for the high beam wire and a low beam wire and you just dont plug the high beam in? what if i did your setup but dont plug in the lo wire would it be off until i turn the high beam switch on and be a high beam when i have the light on?

Correct, you have one wire that just wont go anywhere. Not sure what HID kit you ordered, but it may already be like this. You can hook it to either side, so high or low can be off.

I really don't think you'll miss the high beams if you didn't get a bi-xenon bulb, HIDs are quite a bit brighter. Of course I forgot to ask what temperature (some call this color) you got, as the more blue / pink you go, the less visible light you get (Too much and your stock bulb will actually seem brighter).

This picture is my Jeep (low beam on the HIDs) at 16:00, even middle of the day, it's bright:

jeephid8.jpg

My R6 HID (low beam, my camera doesn't like the bright light)

hid25.jpg

My DRZ HID is just hooked up to the factory wiring. No extra relays or wires.

Edited by OhioYJ

Welll. I actually left it in vadrzsm's hands... he was ordering a kit and to save in shipppingi told him to order 2 i think he got like 6000k or something like that? He said its a white light and the more i think about it i like the high/lo switch idea might just do that and pay with it and see if i like the high or lo better he said it does have hi/lo so i assume it is the bi xenon... if i dont like the 1 light option might look into the relay thing a bit more...

So another dumb question lol say i want high beam i just hook the high beam up to the high beam wire and leave the lo beam going nowhere correct? Therefore when i turn the bike on i have no light until i hit the high beam switch and its automatically high beam... that doesnt put to much stress or anything on the ballast going directly to high beam right?

if i dont like the 1 light option might look into the relay thing a bit more...

Odds are your factory wiring will be fine. Most HID kits are plug and play.

that doesnt put to much stress or anything on the ballast going directly to high beam right?

It doesn't matter at all. There is only one light, one brightness. The light physically moves in and out in the lense to position the focal point higher or lower. The light does not actually get brighter. So the ballast and light for that matter have no idea if you are on high or low beam.

Yes its a solenoid built into the light that moves it forward and backward. That's why the Bi-Xenon bulbs are longer / larger.

Yes its a solenoid built into the light that moves it forward and backward. That's why the Bi-Xenon bulbs are longer / larger.

TThats pretty cool! Never knew that! I appretiate all the help! Still deciding wether to just wire it up like normal and run hi/lo or not wire up one of the 2 and use my switch... anyone care to chime in on there experiences with burning up the ballasts? My buddy thinks they will be fine? Maybe the burnt ballasts are bikes that dont start very easily? Mine is a 2013 so it fires up on the first go... for now atleast lol